Advert

Hi guys, out here in the colonies (Australia) we convicts suffer a 6 week delay in getting hold of the magazine so I'm not able to see if the Spitfire plan Tony Nijuis reviews in the June issue is on the myhobbystore web site yet. Does anyone know if it is there yet and what plan number it is?
Thanks,
Shaun K.

If your are in the UK you should be able to get a copy from you newsagent of the new Plans Handbook with nearly all the latest plans. However descriptive mistakes are everywhere!!
RC2036 is my corsair plan, the same size as the Zero (RC2035)and not 65" & Manufactured By Hanger-9 !!!.....Seems this book didn't have an editor!!!!

Shaun, the Spitfire plan number is RC2041

hi guys
Thanks for all your help,this one is for Tony himself if he is there.RC2041 does not exist at the moment but have been told it is so new it may not appear.
I have also been told it was featured in the June July issues of RCME 2007 is this true or false.
Once again thanks to everyone.
keith

• 2 months later...

hi there

if Tony Nijhuis is looking i want to ask for your advice with reference to your 63" spitfire.i now have the plans and have decided to attempt to build it,but before commencing i want to acquire all the hardware,i have no experience with large aircraft or any thing other than electric so for me the following questions need answering.

on your prototype what was the specific engine type and the specific servo types also unitracts have 2 types of landing gear are those to be used mechanical costing roughly 65pounds.

Do you have any tips concerning  the engine mounting and what other anscillary items need to be obtained apart from the fuel tank

I am sorry to have to ask these questions but have looked at so many reference for the answers i am totally confused so i thought if i could get specifics from yourself it would be easier

thankyou

keith

Keith,

The engine to go for is a .61 4-stroke such as OS, ASP or SC (I used an ASP from Just Engines). Using this engine inverted will keep the clean line around the cowl, give trouble free running and give the correct tank to carburettor level required. You will need to buy a 4-stroke plasic engine mount which has longer bearers and this mount is bolted to the fire wall F1. The tip here is to build the fuselarge without the cowl, fit the mount to F1 and locate all the holes for the tank fill pipe, breather pipe and carb supply pipe plus the throttle push rod. Fit the engine so the distance from the prop boss to F1 roughly coincides with the plan and fit the throttle servo and pushrods and get the set-up (movement) about right before making the cowl. You can use standard servos 3kg.cm torque for the controls (6No. required) although I would suggest using a 5kg.cm torque (or higher) servo for the elevator and  also the mechanical retracts.

The sport mechanical retracts with oleo legs are the ones to get, Tony Goodyear is aware of the model and its requirements.

Hopfully your local model shop should help with the accessories, ie. pushrod, links, horns, servos, battery plus leads, wheels, nuts/bolts screws, covering, paints, fuel proofer etc etc....

good luck...Tony

• 2 months later...

HI THERE

IS TONY NIJHUIS LOOKING IN

NEED SOME ADVICE,I AM IN THE PROCESS OF BUILDING YOUR SPITFIRE 63" WING SPAN BUT HAVE COME ACROSS A PROBLEM WITH THE WHEELS,I HAVE 3.25" OR 83mm IN NEW TERMS PROBLEM IS THEY DO NOT RECESS INTO THE WING CAVITY,I HAVE THE CORRECT DIAMETER THE PROBLEM BEING THE ACTUAL DEPTH INSIDE  THE WING.THE WHEEL HAS A WIDTH/DEPTH OF 30mm.I AM USING THE UNITRACTS LEGS

QUESTION DO WHEELS COME IN VARIOUS DEPTHS OR HAVE I MADE A MONUMENTAL COCK UP AND NEED TO SCRAP AND START AGAIN.I HAVE DOUBLE CHECKED ALL THE WING RIBS  AND THEY ARE OF THE CORRECT SIZE TO THE DRAWING.

HELP NEEDED URGENTLY.

THANKS KEITH