Top Flite P51 or YT International or Fighter Aces

Peter Budd

OK, you may have seen from my last thread I am looking for a large enough warbird for petrol power.  I have looked at the H9 but I simply don't like the plastic film covered finish of ARTFs.  I want to glass it and airbrush the detailing.  ARTF is out the window then, so am considering now the Giant Scale Mustang by Top Flite at 80+ inches or the YT at 70+ inches.  I know the YT is sort of ARTF but it doesn't have the horrible plastic film finish.  So has anyone built either of these.  Opinions and advice much appreciated.  I don't want to bite off more than I can chew with the Top Flite so here is my building experience to date.  I have omitted ARTFs

Flair Pupeteer
Warbirds Hurricane
Hacker Spitfire (fibreglass fuzz and foam wings...69 inches)
plus various smaller balsa kits.

Is there a build thread anywhere for the top flite, here or elsewhere.  I can't seem to find one.  I have downloaded the manual and am ploughing through that at the moment.

One last point...budget is a big decider too. 

Cheers Pete

Advert

Thanks Jan, very useful.
Am now considering the Topflite Giant Scale P51.  Have downloaded the reviews and the build manual and I should have no problem.  Cost could become big though by the time I've bought retracts, motor and radio aswell so still waiting for blessing from the boss.
Pete

• 2 weeks later...
Peter, there is also the Hanger 9 P51-D Blue nose coming soon, it is a ARTF but no shiny film, decent metal retracts and flaps and I'm sure you'll be able to mod it for extra scale touches. It's been designed for glow, electric and petrol. It's a bit smaller at 65" Wing span, 10lb auw. Apparently you can get around 40 mins flight time on the petrol version using the supplied tank! If cost is an issue then this one is good value for money at roughly £280 with retracts included. Only problem is its not in the shops yet and no one has reviewed it yet.

I started a thread about it here if you havn't already seen it.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks Dan and Tom, yes I have already been following Alex48 thread...wow.  I have now decided on the Top Flite Giant Scale.  My local model shop in the UK (before I came to Cyprus) had one in and having had it for a while it was at the old price £220...bargain.  It should be heading its way now somewhere in the Atlantic and should arrive here in a few weeks.

I have also started a thread about engine choice on RCMF but there is a huge bias for Zenoahs.  Again budget is a big factor and I was considering a Zenoah 38, MVVS (same shape as a glow), or one of the cheap chinese ones that Als hobbies sells.  Zenoah 38 is looking the favourite at the moment as I want time proved reliability with simplicity...your thoughts?