Battery pack for the Lander Panther?

Tim Kearsley

Hi all,

Had the Lander Panther up for its maiden yesterday.  It flew OK, but I sense that the power available was a bit marginal.  I'm using the Lander fan with the 4350 kV motor.  Battery pack was a Flightpower 3s 3300 mAh.  The model has been built as a hand-launch version.  I found I had to add a good old chunk of lead in the nose to achieve the recommended 70 mm CG position.  I found also that I needed to fly on WOT the whole time to get good performance.  Flight time was therefore about 4 minutes!

Can the 4350 kV motor and fan unit be used with a 4s pack?  I'm thinking that a 4s, 3800 mAh pack would probably allow me to fly on a lesser throttle setting some of the time and would allow better performance on WOT.  Also, the extra weight right in the nose would allow less, or no, extra weight.

The thing is, is that fan OK with 4 cells?

Cheers,

Tim.

Advert

Tim its a 3s motor... I think is it  this one?

Why not see if you can get the motor changed to the 4s one and enjoy the model more! the extra cell will make a bigger performance boost! The Panther flies great!

I use a HET fan with a Turnigy edf motor and its not short of speed/power...

You're absolutely right of course Dusty and if I'd read up on this properly before diving straight in and asking the question I would have seen that!

I will wait and buy the 4s fan unit I think - it looks from the spec. like it's a drop-in replacement for the 3s fan.

Thanks for the help guys.

Tim.

Hi Tim,

As Ken says im running the 4s version and the model has brilliant performance although you still need to run it flat out on the throttle.  Im using a 4s Rhino 4700mah and get around 4 minutes flight before the motor dies.

Here is a link to me flying the panther at my local club.

(4th video down)

Craig

Wow, I know the Zippys are good ( my current fav packs TBH ) but that IS good..... and only 2500 ma packs too !
However, as I say, the lander fan and motor combo is renowned for its thirst, and this factor is "warned" of in BRC's info on the website I believe, where they do strongly suggest very capable packs only to be used for best results. I have as yet, not used a Lander unit myself, so ( unusually for me )  am only advising this info from what I have read /heard rather than personal / practical experience.
Scott is the man with all the lander expertise I think, and he will hopefully be along in a mo to give his opinion
Incidentally Tim, you have somewhat cross posted this topic, as I have just responded on your other one here

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 18/08/2009 10:18:34

This fan [4370] can not run on 4s, I have flown this set up and seen plenty fly and never found the thrust to be marginal....but C of G certainly can make the model marginal if it's too far rearward, ignore the 70mm setting and go for 65mm, to achieve this, best bet is a larger pack [or 2 x 2200mAh in parallel], also check that your existing pack is in good shape, if voltage drop is excessive, that will be enough to kill performance...especially if it's flying with it's nose in the air!

Thanks for the comments Scott.  I realised soon after I asked the question that the 4370 kV motor wasn't designed for 4 cells.  Interesting point about the CG.  You can see from my original post that I've had to add a bag of lead shot to even get to around 70 mm.  I haven't weighed that additional ballast but it's a good few grams.

My only 3s packs are 3300 - would it be too far over the top to put in two of these in parallel (if they would physically fit?).

Timbo - apologies for the cross-post.  I put the LiPo question in the other section 'cos I thought it was a general leccy question rather than EDF-specific.

You can always rely on me to confuse even the simplest of things!

Tim.

We usually go for a 5000mAh pack in this to get correct C of G, and for flight times, this fan is 50A+....so if your pack is getting a bit dog-eared....voltage drop wil be not helping, however, 6600mAh might be a bit over the top!

Interesting thing is that I have a 4s fan out of something or another in mine....can't remember...maybe the JP Mig 15...now, I only use 2200mAh 4s...yes, one! and get 4 min flight times.....trimming it is the key!

Edited By Scott Cuppello - BRC on 18/08/2009 12:08:37

Edited By Scott Cuppello - BRC on 18/08/2009 12:10:57