types of foam

ericrw

Advert

Depron is a thin sheet foam used for shockies often with a skin giving a smooth finish, often pre-printed with a colour scheme.

Styrofoam is expanded polystyrene, the brittle stuff used as packing for electrical appliances, with little structural strength or resilience, usually used as the core in veneered wings.  Very susceptible to solvent attack so normally glued with pva or epoxy, and prone to shattering into snow on impact.

EPP is a much more flexible and tough foam that has a rough surface finish.and can be used without any other structure, though carbon spars are  often added to give a little stiffness.  can be stuck with evostick, goop gorilla glue and the like.

I've become interested in the Parkzone T-28 Trojan whilst browsing web pages as a potential purchase but I'll wait till I've read the article on foams in the October edition of the Magazine.  Unless I come across a bargain at the Nationals !

Sorry, should have expanded on that er.... no pun intended

EPO only seems to be available as a moulded foam. Someone will give a technical description no doubt but .......it's close-packed cell-based foam, absorbent and flexible yet very strong too. It's what Multiplex and others have used to fantastic effect with their ranges over many years. If you've seen a Mpx model recently then that's the stuff.

Multiplex call theirs Elapor and Graupner call it Solidpor and while therer may be small differences in each manufacturers EPO - it's all basically the same. It can be easily painted, and stuck together with cyano.   

Parkzone make their warbirds from the stuff now and they're much better for it too. The moulding has improved to such a degree that panel lines etc can be incorporated. Hang about - I'll take a piccy of my pzone P-51 wing so you can see.......