Computer problems?????

Gaz Elliott

I recently had a problem with my pc. It would struggle to load/boot up when the power was turned on. Then once on would restart after a few minutes automatically. Mentioned it on here ( After all that is how we get to see our fav forum) and I got 2 solutions both of which helped out and no doubt saved me a fortune at pc world or the such like. ( THANK YOU GUYS. Simon the techie and Eric)   
1. It was suggested the internal battery would need replacing ( Machine is 4 years old) I have never opened the magic box so no idea what may find. A watch type battery clearly identifiable . Removed and purchased a new pack of 2 for a couple of quid from tesco.
2. Second was a programme availble on the net which gets the bugs ( can not remember what it was called at moment.)

PC now stable and working .
Cheers guys. but what other tips can you pass on to PC users of free software / easy repairs etc.
Gaz

Advert

• 2 weeks later...
I like windows XP pro. It is a great os , works fine no crashes, good diags, no worries. Firefox the same, excellent software. I have used mozilla browsers for ever. Anyone remember mosaic? Couldn't wait to get that but it took a while to find an ftp site that had it!

Wow nostalgia! Who remembers typing in command strings as long as your arm just to get one file, or access to the sever tree. God we must have been keen!

Imagine surfing the net before html ! And the excitement when CERN announced HTML ! I remember when there were about 10 or 12 web pages to look at! Haven't we come a long way.

That was all on 3.11. That was a great OS too. Just 95, 98, 2000, and VISTA that seem to be the dogs. NT was good as well.

If I had a Vista machine I'd rip it out and have XP pro SP3 on board. Now what is the new one called ? Will it be crap? I wait with baited breath (I wonder what I'll catch!) 

Go well all, F

Edited By Flanker . on 03/09/2009 13:31:26

advice

It doesn't matter where you go on the "net" for your "free downloads", or what system you are using.

Remember to "Save As" ..... ("right click"  ALL your links first !).  If, no "Save As " appears in the drop down menu - leave well alone.

Choose a safe location for the "Save As".  Another hard drive/flash drive etc...

After saving/downloading - scan !! with you onboard Anti-Virus detector.

Then, if it checks out.  "Download!"

Avoid clicking the "Run" button .. When you click run,  The programme is installed WITHOUT the above mentioned checks.

BB

I cant see why any posts that you make would not appear - it may take a little while due to your ISP or whatrever being slow /overloaded /etc...but I know sometimes that people hit the "Add Posting" button twice or even 3 times, only to eventually have the post repeated and visible three times also! Patience maybe required - or a new ISP

So sorry.
But
It makes room for the next one!

Viz posting trouble, sometimes browsers cache the page and display the cash each time you try to load the page. Can be problem when making small changes to web sites, the changes don't seem to work, but they have, you just have to clear the browsers cache. Mine had a phase of doing this, but after I re-set the privacy set up to clear cash on exit,  and then changed back to normal a non the next boot the habit disappeared. 

Go well F

Eric, as far as I can tell, you are right about Windows 7. It looks a bit nicer, there are a few fancy graphics but thats about it. They've gotten rid of all the baggage, as you say, which is very welcome. Its also a bit more user friendly than Vista. You can change the settings without having to trapse through the Control panel to find something that isn't there anyway!

Posts work fine for me, and there is never any delay (touch wood), I've never experienced a problem with this site. Guess you've just been unlucky. Thats my diagnosis!

SUGGEST A FEW THINGS.  DON'T KNOW WHAT OS YOUR GOT BUT IF YOURS IS VISTA, GET RID OF IT, EITHER INSTALL XP PRO OR THE NEW WINDOWS 7.  BOTH ARE A LOT BETTER, MORE USER FRIENDLY THAN VISTA. ALL THE VISTA BUGS HAVE BEEN WEEDED OUT IN W7. SECONDLY, WHEN IT'S UP AND RUNNING OK "LEAVE IT ALONE"  IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT AS THEY SAY.  I FOUND THAT OUT THE HARD WAY AND LEARNED MY LESSON!   PERHAPS IT NEEDS A DEFRAG OR A CLEANUP.  EUSING FREE REGISTRY CLEANER IS QUITE GOOD BUT MAY NEED A COUPLE OF RUN THROUGHS TO SORT OUT THE REGISTRY...UNLIKE SOME OF THE OTHER FREEBEES IT ACTUALLY WORKS!  OTHER THAN THAT LEAVE IT ALONE OR CONSULT ONE OF THE EXPERTS WHO FREQUENT THIS SITE.  HOPE IT HELPS. CHEERS J

Hi ultimate ,seems that you are recieving my input, but other posts are not going.My severTalk Talk says there is no problems with emails,but only on the forum.I have posted the same question many times,but nothing shows on "my postings"Can you please confirm that you received this one.  Many thanks flyboy3