Weston Hype 3D

Hi all,

Ive now decided to go with the full size Hype and I was wondering if I could get some feedback from people out there who have one or who are experienced in these sort of models.

Im going to put an Irvine 53 in the plane and was wondering what the best prop would be to accomodate learning 3D and the airframe. I used a 11-8 and 12-6 in the past the 12-6 giveing me max speed although I think im not after total speed for 3D. Also what would be the best brand of prop APC etc...

Going on to the radio equipment, I have high torque servos but they are relatively slow compared to standard's and noisey, would I need high speed and high torque servo's? if so can anyone recommend some cheaper ones, I was thinking 15 to 20 pound mark.

Ive heared alot about the centre of gravity in 3D planes and heard alot of people dissmissing it as well, should I go with the manuals recomendations or does anyone have any feedback on this?.

Carbon fibre undercarriage and canopy, apart grom looks will I actually need this. I bought a carbon fibre undercarriage for my edge because the landings were faster and the alloy undercarriage bent and lost ground clearance with each flight. The Hype can land quite slow and softly, I assume and therefor would you need this mods.

Why does anyone need a carbon fibre canopy apart from looks?.

Tuned pipe?, does it really make a difference, would it on this model?, can anyone reccomend one for an Irvine 53?.

Cheers all.

Advert

helo craig-try a light pitch prop--11*5/6 and have the c of g as far back as you are comfortable with---if you want to prop hang etc......try everything up at a good height before you come down to no man's land--one wrong input and it will be ..

ken anderson.....who learned the hard way/many times......

Hi Ken,

Could I still do a light pitch prop but a larger size say 12? or do you need the rev's to be alot higher?. Do you think I should just keep the centre of gravity as recommended until I get used to that type of flying? and then move on when im progressing.

As for the height I will be getting plenty of it dont worry lol!, ill just stick to the thigs I know at low height.

Many thanks Ken appreciate your time.

Cheers.

I am sure an Irvine 53 will physically fly the model, but you could struggle a bit when it comes to prop-hanging as it might not be powerful enough to get the job done. 
If it does prop hang, it will be very near to full throttle and probably won’t have any reserve of power left to “punch out” and climb away cleanly.
Yup, 3D machines appreciate good servos which are fast and powerful.

Carbon accessories have a certain “bling” quality to them but they are also useful if they save weight.

The suggested CG location is a good place to start from.   
Have fun,
B.C.

Hi Brian,

thanks for the feedabck, the models max engine recommendation is a 53?, would a more powerfull engine not stress the airframe or cause unintentianal torque rolls?, to get more power out of the engine would a tuned pipe do the trick any recomendations?.

I will look into some high speed servo's as a must but will stick with the high torque ones I have for now untill I can afford some better ones.

The carbon fibre undercarriage I already have may go on the plane but well see if it fits first and I will stick with the recomended C of G.

Many thanks, Brian.

if you increase the diameter of a prop, it will increrase thrust ( pulling power as it were ) and if you increase the pitch, that increases the top speed as it were. For prop hanging and other such silly manouveres - you would be better with lots of thrust, and acceleration which will help yu pull out of trouble if ( and when ) needed. You will also find the model responds better to throttle inputs with a nice large diameter prop

Hi Timbo,

thanks for the help again, the engine is an Irvine 53 and I have a few things in mind if you can help me decide 11-5/3, 12-4, 11-4w, and the best one and recomended by friends is  12 1/4-3 3/4.

So what would you recommend?, also its not just for prop hanging lol!, I hope to learn many and vast manouvers in time.

Thanks again Timbo. 

The Irvine 53 will be fine, a throttle pipe will work well hover around midstick, standard U/C and forget the carbon canopy. Stick to Westons recommended C/G and throws you can get a 3D prop I think it's either 3.5" or 4" pitch you don't want airspeed on the Hype or it will go into terminal flutter. We had one go in at our club field from just this scenario yesterday, Good luck it's a great model

Thanks Ultymate,

that clarifys alot, sorry could you elaborate on the prop size?, 11- 3.5" or 12-3.5" and 11-4" or 12-4".
So what happened to the Hype at your club was it lost signal or range?, was there much left after?, its so soul destroying when you loose it and its not really your fault lol!.
Thanks for the well wishes too.

Many thanks.

I think the prop I used was 12x3.5" not 100% sure. The model yesterday I think went into terminal flutter the wings broke away from the fus and the fus then did the javelin bit into mother earth. The owner did think there may have been a radio issue which pre-empted the crash but maybe it was trouble, you should not fly models with fun-fly wing sections fast, many do it and appear to get away with it but it's courting disaster JMHO

Hi Ultymate,

the boys at the shop recomended a 12x3.5" as well or was it a twelve and three, three quarters? cant remember but that is what they said is the fun fly/3D prop for that size engine.

Thats a real shame about that plane theres nothing worse in my opinion but like you say I dont think there supposed to be flown at full trottle for long periods of time. Thats why I had an Edge 540 for the speed and aerobatics, until its dimise this weekend gone due to radio failure lol!.

Thanks again.

Bear in mind the noise issue.  I have the Mini Hype, fitted with the West 36Ti and pipe. The suggested prop is a 11x4 for this setup. VERY noisy! I seem to remember it showing around 87Db at 7 m.    To get this down to 82Db, I had to use a quiet mount, foam on the wing seating and increase the prop to 11x7.  Although the plane flys very well, using this setup no-one would ever accuse it of being overpowered.  A fine pitch prop is great for power, but very noisy.(A bit like driving a car in 1st gear!)  If i was "building" another Hype( regular or Mini), I would use a Saito 4 stroke,  The Saito 82 would be ideal for the big Hype, and they are light too, compared to other 4 strokes on the market.

Hi craig...just got in, but seems you have a had your answers anyway. Cant say I would spot a big difference 'tween a 12X3.5 and a 12x3.75" mself
I think my generalisation was morer about diameter versus pitch, and although I am not "funflier" / 3D  type of modeller, I do know enough about the game to suggest that more diameter is better than pitch for that style of model. I think

Hi Graham,

would the noise be that great?, it used to toss a small 11x8" and that sounded fine I think the silencer on the Irvine is quite good, I removed the spacer in mine and it was still relatively quite.

I will bear in mind the quite mount and foam they are very good to solutions.

The Saito four stroke sounds fantastic and i would love and have always wanted to have a four stroke but its just a money issue for me.

Cheers for the help.

Hi Craig.  Due to the lightweight build of these, here is a lot of "drumming" from the airframe - the wings in particular -  hence my use of foam seating tape..   The West engine i use is designed as a high reving engine, so that adds to the noise.  Your Irvine 53 will be quieter ( Irvine 2 strokes seem to be the quietest).

My preference is always for 4 strokes in my planes. My Mini Hype uses the West 36 2 stroke, but all my other planes have 4 strokes - OS or Saito being my favourite. Saito in particular as they are so much lighter than OS.

Have a look on the BMFA website or even Ebay for a pipe.  You often see them for sale . Nothing to really go wrong with them, so a secondhand pipe makes good sense. As long as they dont rattle ( loose baffles) or have huge dents they should be OK.

Hi Ultymate,

yeah I spoke to Weston today and they recommended the throttle pipe and im not really keen for the price lol!, £50 for something that looks pretty similar to the silencer I already have and I dont think its gonna make a considerable difference anyway.

Let me know if im wrong.

Cheers.

i have the same mini hype and west 36 t1 engine in it i fitted an 11x4 as recommended by west the noise was incredible !!!  i have gone to a 11x6 and a foam wing seat, i am amazed in this noise concous time we live in that weston can recomend such a prop, they must know the noise it generates