A simple question, but then aren't they all if you know the answer.....

My latest project (an IC model in fact) is going to have a 4 servo wing for no other real reason than because I can (have to justify all those mixers on my new FF10 after all!!!).

This will allow me to split the ailerons & have full length ailerons for normal flight...link the inner section to the elevators as flaps & then use some crow braking to slow the model up for landing......should be interesting!!!

My question is this......under crow braking is the outer section of the "ailerons" up or down?

Advert

Hi Steve. CROW braking is flaps down ailerons up with some elevator compensations(usually down) to avoid a pitch change.
In reality the flaps do most of the work and the ailerons are only raised slightly to de-camber the wing tips allowing you as pilot to increase the AoA of the wing without fear of a tipstall. This is different to up aileron 'Spoilerons' which basically do the same job but move further to dump lift as well as decamber the wing. Both operations require the pilot to fly the model on elevator. CROW is designed to create drag while retaining lift - the opposite of spoilerons.
Which power model is it? You will rarely find that CROW brakes bring too much to the party on the power field. You might just find that the vertical descent will be greater than you desire as soon as those ailerons start to rise - unless of course your power model uses glider wing sections.

Andy

Cheers Timbo/Andy.....thats what I thought...

Andy..interesting point about the wing section.....the model is a collaborative design between a few club members. It is based on the WOT 4 but scaled up significantly & as you know the Wotty has a pretty thick wing section.....the prototype MK1 version came out very light & was pretty floaty hence my thinking to fit some for of airbrake.....maybe I shouldn't bother with crow braking on a model like this...? It would save me a couple of servos after all....

Steve, I have crow fitted on two gliders and it is a good help on the approach. I had a Glen's Maule and had separate servos on the flaps and ailerons, I never found a need for crow as flap was sufficient to slow it down for landing.

What was good though was to have a setting (Flight Phase in Multiplex lingo) where the flaps were mixed to the ailerons to give greater aileron authority, i.e faster roll rate. You might want to try that.

Steve, I have crow fitted on two gliders and it is a good help on the approach. I had a Glen's Maule and had separate servos on the flaps and ailerons, I never found a need for crow as flap was sufficient to slow it down for landing.

What was good though was to have a setting (Flight Phase in Multiplex lingo) where the flaps were mixed to the ailerons to give greater aileron authority, i.e faster roll rate. You might want to try that.

• 1 year later...
I will be interested to hear how crow works for you on a power airplane.  I have not heard of anyone using this configuration.

For gliders, where we want to come in with more energy than we need to make the field Crow helps us dump that energy so we don't glide forever.  But with a power plane where you can add and reduce power at will I don't see the value.

But I don't fly power planes much so I will be interested to hear your report.

• 4 months later...
Flash you can crow on a DX6i

but because you need 7 channels for quad flaps you can not get the flaps to follow the ailerons (So you dont get full quad flap function)

use two aileron servos on aux and ail channels and use the flap function to use spiolerons.

use a y lead for the two flap servos into the gear channel