Next plane suggestion please

Hi
I've been flying my HobbyZone super cub LP. It's been going well and on the self taught route with a sim.

I would now like another plane but don't have any idea which one, what make or where to get it sensibly priced.
I think i should stick with a 'high wing' model.
Ideally i'd like 2 wings for it - thus i would have a 3 channel plane and also able to use it as 4 channel (with ailerons). However i appreciate this request maybe unrealistic and i may need 2 planes?
Not sure on scale size but something maybe 1.5m or 1.8m wingspan??
I don't want anything quick (still a beginner).
I don't feel i will yet tackle a build from complete plans so an ARTF or a kit that comes with everything needed to build the plane would be good. (radio gear and motor etc doesn't need to be included).

Is it possible you folk can put me on the right tracks?
Many Thanks
Tim

Advert

Hi Tim,
I don't have bags of experience here but can offer my 2p for what it's worth..
I started off just like you earlier this year. I ended up buying a trainer - a Condor 40H, high wing, very stable, nice and slow, fitted up for 4 channel but not daunting to fly. (See my pics of the yellow peril).  There are quite a few like this on the market and some better than others. The Wot4 seems very popular. Are you thinking i.c. or electric as that may affect your choice - some being kitted out for elec from the get go, others needing some modifications.
Now I'm using an Easystar for practice (with the Phoenix sim), occasionally flying my Funjet and F-9F when I'm feeling confident and the winds are light, and looking to start another kit to keep me occupied in the wee hours. I have to say, having the Easystar just there to fly while I'm building/tinkering is great but it has made me appreciate having the ailerons on the Condor - worth thinking about. 
Tony 

Thanks.
I want to stay with leccy models. For simplicity and maintenance ideally models where the prop attaches direct to the motor and not powered through gears. However i may be talking rubbish there (i really am new to this). As i'm new i need model names and the manufacturer too. WOT4 seems to be a Ripmax model.
The easystar does look nice but i'd like to stay traditional with puller props as supposed to pushers.

I need to get the right plane choice so i can fly it sensibly, the right kit choice so i can build / assemble it with relative ease for my first one and the right make & model kit so i get a good kit and not one which many would avoid.

Thanks for your help, i will google the models you mention. Appologies also for knowing so little about this past time!
Tim

Any other suggestions welcome..

If you are comfortable with flying your Super Cub, I would suggest it is time for you to develop some aileron experience. As you say, a high wing model would be a sensible place to start. There are many possible choices, and it depends a bit where you intend to fly, i.e. how much space you have available and whether you have nice smooth short grass or tarmac for take offs.

You could check out the Multiplex Twinstar II. It is robust, easy to repair, and easy to fly, and yet even experienced flyers still have fun with it. The brushed motors can be upgraded to brushless when you are ready for more performance. There are lots of web pages about it. It could be a good entry point into more aerobatic flying.

It you are more interested in a soaring style of flying then the Multiplex Easy Glider could be good too. You will need a bit of space to land it as it likes to float for a long way before touching down. It is easy to fly, you can stay up for half an hour at a time, and it teaches you a lot about air.

The above suggestions assume you are flying independently. In a club environment a conventional trainer would make more sense. e.g, a Mentor. That would get you started on the way to an 'A Certificate'. For that you need wheels.

Edited By Adrian Aylward on 30/08/2009 22:34:58

Edited By Adrian Aylward on 30/08/2009 22:35:24

Hi Tim,

I have to recommend the Phoenix Rainbow - it's a big pussy cat of a model, flies really well and would make a great follow-on if you are thinking of ailerons. There are a few threads scattered around the forums about it and it's never had a bad press.

After the trials and tribulations I've had with some of my other models, this is the one I always go back to to reassure myself I can fly!

I've set it up with flaperons too and it will just stooge around all day if you wish.

Pete

Thanks Guys!
Timbo, ref other thread - thanks but i still very much think of myself as a beginner / novice in practice. It's the hours on the sim that have paid off to make it all possible.

I like the multiplex idea! Reason is it's 4 channel, high wing and probably similar to the supercub (just add ailerons). Also the spares seem well priced which is a BIG factor. For example the WOT4, a wing costs circa £60, Multiplex, less than half that....

OK, so will get the leccy gear and 2.4 on order when i work out which one to have and then order a multiplex.

Next....
Also after a project...
My building skills in general are pretty good, just built 2 boats from plans. Full scale not RC. One is an open canoe and the other a motor boat.... anyway, looking to build a plane either from laser cut wood or from plans, whichever it is it will need to come with plans for making any after parts (should it get damaged, gulp). Any recommended suppliers or brands of plans or kits? Still got a high wing in mind for my first build....

Cheers Steve
That looks good and alarmingly well priced!

When you buy Balsa planes or balsa kits (pre cut) do they also come with a set of plans? reason i ask is that if i were to crash the plane i could fix it with a set of plans but without a set of plans surely the plane is just destined for the bin?

Kits normally come with a plan but where a lot of pre-fabrication has been done this is often omitted & just sketches supplied (I'm thinking of the Chriss Foss kits here). ARTFs of any description NEVER come with a plan (in my experience). Many ARTFs, especially electric types, tend to disintegrate on contact with the ground & end up as matchwood....

This isn't a criticism of ARTFs however...I'm a great believer in models being built to fly rather than survive a crash & as we know....(all together!!)..."Light Models Fly Better Than Heavy Ones"!!!

They can be rebuilt however as Peter Miller is currently demonstrating in the mag. Basically collect all the bits & try & piece them together into firewalls, sides...whatever...& then draw around them & cut new parts from balsa/ply whatever......you'd be amazed what can be repaired with a bit of effort...

Mind you at the £30 that the Breeze costs its hardly worth repairing.....

Just as an afterthought might one of the more vintage designs from Ben Buckle float your boat? These are typical aeroplanes from the past when we all had to build our models & are often very stable & easy to fly.......

Why in t' olden days you could put the transmitter on the ground...hand launch the model...have a chat with yer mates...nip to the corner shop for a packet of 10 Woodbines & still be able to get back & pick up the transmitter in time to correct a slight turn to the left....

I might have exaggerated a bit but you get the idea......

All the suggested "40-size " 60 inch span aileron trainers come with one snag: they need big, relatively-expensive LiPos. And if you want to avoid on-field charging (really needs a big expensive Leisure battery) you'll need a few of them.  Cheaper to choose something slightly smaller and lighter, say around 48" span and 1 - 1.5 kg which you can fly for 10-15 minutes on a 2250 3S LiPo (e.g. Loongmax £22 from Giantcod).

What's available at this size?

Thanks Guys! A whole load of great suggestions and info' there. I like the multiplex mentor for a first 4 channel i think. As for a build, i just need to work out what and ensure it's an easy first build but also flyable with my limited experience, quite like a cessna build or something like that so will do a bit of scouting about see whats available... maybe even plans of a high wing leccy will be in a forthcoming mag??