Fuel for heli

magicstick

Hi everyone need some advice as to what fuel to use I'm new to heli's and I have a raptor 50 with the tt 50 pro engine fitted. I've not started the engine yet and I'm unsure as to what fuel to use ? My local model shop stocks cool power so I'd like to use this if I can but I'm unsure of what nitro content to use ? Do I use the same fuel and nitro content to run the engine in and then continue to use this for the rest of my flying ? I've had conflicting answers of what nitro % to use ? My model shop says 20% another person in the shop says 15% ? this has really confused me so any help or advice on this matter will really help me. I'm oy waiting on this answer before I can start her up and hopefully start a beautiful new hobby up ! Thanks everyone I know the advice you give me will be right advice ?

Advert

Hello Magicstick. I don't fly helis myself, but the guys in our club use Yamada 20%. This gives them the reliability needed for trouble free engine running.  Use the same fuel to run the engine in using the normal running-in techniques for the engine fitted.  If you can't get Yamada or don't want to pay for it, then use a fuel of your choice but still at 20% nitro content for performance and cooling...a heli engine works hard...

Hi

I have a couple of Raptor 50's.  If you are just flying general sport or learning as I suspect  you are - then 12% nitro is fine.  Otherwise higher than that - is just wasting your money.  Brand is of personal choice as you gain more experience.

Al

I agree with Alan, Brand is a personal choice, and I like you am using what I can get from my LHS which is Bekra 16%. Nitro content % depends on your type of flying, I start using 10%, while learning to hover etc, now using 16% for more adventerous flying but not 3D. For experts and full 3D you would want 30% fuel !

Good luckl & enjoy.

Checkout RcHeliaddicts too, very freindly and specifically for heli's as per the name!