OS Run in period

Delta Whiskey

Advert

Yep thanks Steve, I did that just that I wanted to confirm the extra fuel usuage!

It's an 50 hyper heli engine. I run two tanks as 3 turns open on the needle valvue as stated in the mnaul, and will turn it in 3 clicks per every half a tank now up to 5 or 6 tanks for a gentle run in. Then hopefully down to 1.5 - 2 for full on flying.

Eric
I feel obliged to disagree with you on a few points although I do know where you're coming from'
  The whole point of "running-in" (as we used to HAVE to do due to the way tolerances could not be produced as really required in a running scenario)
ie -imperfect shaping of a hot cylinder wall whilst cold on a grinding M/c' was to remove bumps on the two contacting surfaces  so as to make them mate up at running/constant fairly high temperature .( Argueably maybe about a  200 to 400 degrees C environment in that cylinder ? 
With the slightly tapered bore (CNC) no- ring case -the idea is to get to max temp as quickly as possible to basically finish off what a machine can never do to such small tolerances (distortion due to uneven cooling all round the barrel  etc.) -run for a short period before distress is obvious -Let it cool and repeat
You only ever need one molecule thickness of oil anytime for lubrication .OK you might need an excess of oil available to so-called fill in the gaps or bumps of man machining at a non molecular level .BUT let's get rid of the imperfections as quickly as possible without producing TOO much heat Hence the short burst approach (polishing in laymans language)
By the way I have re-honed /de- glazed  many a bore with nothing more than wet & dry at a 45 degree angle before re-running in

Os .46 Ax - run in as per Manufacture guidlines. 6 Tanks 10% static. Running a turn and a half anti.  Gradually closed to 3/4 turn from closed.  In the air ran a 12 x6 prop for next 6 flights (tanks). Changed to an 11.6 prop and screwed in carb to within 1/2 turn.  Starts first time, runs cool.  Will take a 10 x 6, but isn't necessary on a Wot T.  Don't really know what running in achieves except, 'bedding in'.

BB

Thanks All, done 5 tanks now, and am down to 2 turns out, and will move to 1,5 over the next few, and keep an eye out for the engine temp ! At the mo, I can keep my finger on the back plate for well over 12 secs after the 11 or 12 minutes gentle flying, I heard for the OS 50 Hyper heli flying it should be near right, if you can keep your finger on for about 5 sec or so?