Rudder / aileron mix

Mowerman

Advert

I would suggest it would be better to learn to fly co-ordinated turns with seperate aileron and rudder...much better than mixing them in my opinion, and far more satisfying. Instigate the turn with rudder and aileron with the usual bit of back stick, then ease off the aileron and continue the turn with rudder and elevator...just as you would with full-size.

Posted by Eric Bray on 04/10/2009 20:46:04:
With coupled aileron/rudder, you cannot perform a proper side-slip approach, either. It's not so critical with an old bipe, but a Spit, Hurri or Mustang, etc, came in sideways so the pilot could see where he was going!

Eric, depends on the radio but on my Sx the rudder stick is still active when CAR mode is on, so you can apply opposite rudder, you just need to move the stick a bit further. I think this was true of my old Fleet PCM set, so I would think this is true of most modern sets.

• 3 months later...
My old JR radios are the same Frank, soon as you touch the rudder stick, with the mix switched on, you have independent rudder control. So no trouble at all for the 'cross control' situation. Spits and Hurris didn't come in 'slipped' Eric, ask the pilots and they'll tell you 'always off a curved approach'.
Evan.