Cloud Model DH98 Mosquito

Advert

Hi delta ive also bought one of these i work close to balsacabin and often pop in to have a look at the model the instrutions are not that good you will have to guess most of the build i. Am having a hard time getting the bottom shell to fit ive thought about binning them and planking the fuz!!!!! Good luck. Mark

Hi.

I am also building the Mosquito from Balsa Cabin. I want to use brushless and lipos but not sure of the best way yet. I am thinking of two completely independant power trains but conrolled from a Y lead. This would enable me to use lipos that I already have, ie 3s 2200 packs. I cannot decide if I should mount both in the fuselage or try to get each one in the motor nacelle. Any thoughts at this stage would be good.

Thanks,

Glenn

Hi Delta  l will put some pics of my build so far  you can put some on and show me the next bit  ,l keep picking it up spend hours looking at  and then putting it away again
lt should be easy but its doing my head in the  l am now  cutting the bottom shell to fit ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrr  let me know when you get to this stage   
l need therepy  now            cherrs..................mark

Thanks for the help Eric, I will use two speedos as you suggest. i am thinking that I might modify the battery box so that I can fit two 2200 3S lipos as I have quite a few of this size and it would save me from having  to buy a larger capacity lipo just for this one model. I can see what Mark means about spending hours looking at the model as it not an easy build it takes time to sort out how everything goes together. The plastic bits are a bit daunting and I can see getting a decent join will be difficult. I have completed the wings, the servo wire will go through the wing but the motor wires will go through the radiators. I have read somewhere that you have to be carefull with either the wire length to the speedos or motor but cannot remember the details.

Glenn

How are you guys going to get the C of G in the right position? Won't the lighter motors and batteries give you problems?

I would have thought that it would be better to keep the ESC's as close to the motors as you can - in the nacelles if possible as they would benefit from cooling.

Does the Mossie have a shaped underside? I believe that the Whirlwind is flat - not scale but sounds easier to build!

Not sure about the C of G but will cross that bridge later. After a chat with BRC I've decided to modify the battery box so that I can fit two 2200 3S lipos, so maybe that might help with the C of G as well. The underside of the Mossie is curved. The motor mount sticks directly onto the plastic of the nacells and looks a bit flimsy to me would epoxy be the correct adhesive to use?

Glenn

Looks good. You are a bit ahead of me, so your pics are better than the instructions. I'm waiting for some poor weather as I am too busy flying to get back building at present. Ive definitely decided to use two 2200 lipo packs so will modify the battery box to take them, the guys at BRC have recommended a power train to use and I intend to use three blade props running in opposite directions. What power system are you intending to use?

Glenn

hi delta you getting on nice l will have to put some pics of mine on now
have you had a go at cutting the plastic shells yet?   glenn is right in thinking to use handed props with both motors turning inboard brchobbies sell  (gws)3 blade props in
both left and right screw  is that tape on your wing permanent or just for fitting ?
                  cheers...............................mark

Hi Mark,

I'll start looking at motors soon.
The tape is the glass fibre type, I'm planning to leave it on, just form some wider extra strength.
Good idea bout putting the esc in the rads, once I consider what motors to use, I can match esc......what are you lot planning on using and wheres your pics ?
Cheers.

Hi to all i had 1 of these models thought it was far too heavy ran off 2 600 can motors 8cell nicad tip stalled ended up spinning in the ground flew like a brick chucked it in the end  Since then ive built a tony nijhous mossie free plan rcme modified it got 2 wasp motors 1 2150mah lipo 3 blade props (brc hobbies) retracts,split flaps the props are contra rotating. Had first successful sortie this morning only snag i had was too much elevator resulting in flick rolls ! think i need to put some expo on throttle/elevator at full throttle will keep u posted!!!!!!

I will use BRC 2217-8T 1100kv 200W motors and 33A esc, which is what they recommended. I already use this set up in a small seafury and it works very well. I will try 8 x 4 three blade props, one pusher and one tractor as I posted before. I am going to use two 2200 lipos which should give me about 6-7 mins flying without stressing the batteries. The the batteries have not arrived yet so I have put off modifying the battery box untill they do. I am thinking that I may have to load them by removing the wing to slide them in as the nose ring looks to be too small. However the motors have arrived so I started to build the nacelles. I have not yet joined my wings which I found helped with sorting the nacelles out. The one issue that I have to overcome in that the wooden motor mount is quite small and would be very flimsy if I cut cooling slots into it so I have decided to make a larger mount that will be further back in the nacelle, this should also help with cooling as well. Thinking ahead I am also wondering how to make some spinners, any ideas? Incidently I do not think that cooling the esc will be an issue with this set up  as it should only pull about 15 A

Thanks for the info folks, just a couple of concerns from several postings........
Three bladed props.....ummm being a belly landed, I can't see these lasting long.....are you planning on using U/C?
and with the mention above from Paul, that it is far too heavy, 2 lipo's and U/C if using will be even more of a problem ! ?
Therefore if it comes out heavy then more power will be needed, does this effect anyone's decision here?

Not thinking of using u/c. Don't forget that a three blade prop is smaller in diam than the equivalent two blade. I always belly land my sea fury with an 8" prop and have never broken one yet. I think two lipos at 180grms each are still lighter than the nicad pack and with two x 200W of power then there should be enough go. However I will try to build it as light as poss. My biggest problem may be if  I have to add weight to get the balance right, which I shall do everything to avoid. Once I get near to having the motors installed I will try to balance the model before finshing the final stages that way if I have to modify anything I can still do it, without resorting to butchery

Glenn