Cloud Model DH98 Mosquito

Advert

Thanks Paul.

I hope to get mine to around the 3lb mark excluding cells. Did you have  any problems getting the Cof G correct and what did you use to finish the model with. I was thinking of Poly C and tissue for the balsa parts but just straight primer for the plastic bits. In the instructions it says not to use polyfilla to fill inthe seams but I have always used polyfilla light on my balsa models to good effect, have you any comments on this?

Glenn

c of g was correct to the plan with an 8 cell ni-cad pack. I used ready made light filla from a tube to fill in seams  . Dope and tissue for wings and that strip down the fuzz before i applied the plastic!! i cant remember what paint i used i think it was quick dry enamel spray some years ago now. i used 480 bb race motors not 600 speed motors as previously said they used to get very hot and the brushes used to brake make sure you try and well ventilate them on yours!!!

Ok I've tried to insert some pics and it looks like it has worked. These show the mods I have made to the nacelles in order to mount brushless motors. So far so good, I should have made the dowels a bit longer as they only just protrude throught the hole. As a result of what Paul said you can see the cooling holes that I have made at each side, I have also made outlets at the inside rear of the nacelle to let the air out. I have removed material from the front of the exhausts only, to act as cooling ducts and will mount them over the holes in the lower half. They may not be in the correct position for scale appearance , but never mind. I have also decided against three blade props at present, two are more efficient and it sounds like I might need all the power I can get.

Glenn

A couple of pics to update the build. I modified the battery box so that I can get two 2200 lipos side by side, it also gives me about 2" movement to help balance the model later on,  i will have to take the wing off to change them. Also shown are the holes in the radiator formers so that I can run the power and ESC wires through them and finally the complete nacelle.
Hows everybody else getting on?

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

Got round to doing a bit more on the Mossie. The wiring took quite a lot of thinking about and you can see that I have not fitted the bottom to the fusalage at this stage. I thought it best to wait to see how the wiring runs turned out.I've used a 35 reciever to test with but will use Spectrum 2.4. All tested out OK without any magic smoke which was a relief. Motors are running in opposite directions so am waiting for  a pusher prop, but the motor tested with the tractor had plenty of pull so I hopefull that there will be enough power. I had to make some leads up so I could run both lipos in parallel and then off to two ESC. The esc run is via a Y lead to the throttle channel. I intend to run power from both ESC as  they are parallel the voltage should be Ok. I've got spinners for the two blade props but cannot find small ones for three blades, any ideas? Has any body tried to make their own out of foam or something like? I'm thinking of finishing the model using poly c and tissue then acrilic paints. I'm testing the poly c on some oddments of plastic to see how it reacts. Do you think you can spray car primer onto the plastic parts without them becomming damaged?

• 2 weeks later...
 Yes a bit more progress, I have fixed the bottom plastic fusalage skin but not without problems, I think I cut mine a little bit too much with the end result that in order to get it to fit I distorted the tailplane mounting so that it was no longer parrallel with the wing, but I've now sorted this. I am surprised how little overlap there is to attach the plastic to the balsa and ply sides and this looks like it could be  weekness with a hard landing so I might follow the lead from the forum on rcgroups and run some lightwieght glass to overlap these joints. I think that I will mount the rx on the wing so that the only connection I will need to make is the Y lead for the ESPs. I did think about rudder but still consious about the final wieght. I skined the tailplane, elevator and fin using lightwieght tissue and Poly-c and these have come up well. I now face fitting the upper fusalage moulding over the wing which should be Ok if taken slowly, must not cut too much off this time. Below is the link to the rcgroups thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424808

Regards,

Glenn.

• 1 month later...
All construction finished, now at the stage that I like the least, that is painting. I've covered the model using tissue and Poly c and that has gone well. I have now sprayed primer on it and need to rub this down filling in any pot holes before the final paint job is applied. I've found some decals for a mosquito on the pyramid site so will be ordering those soon, then just wait for some decent weather when our strip is not frozen and away we go. Will post a pic on here before the maiden flight just in case.

Glenn

Hi guys,  I have been off net for a while and only get the very odd chance to root around the forum - anyway, I built one of these about two years ago.  This was my first "build" as I had only had ARTF until then - steep learning curve!  I also had a problem with the plastic fuz and getting it to fit nicely - I found the cockpit a nightmare.  I too am brushless ( 2 x 250w from what I can remember) and had a 3S 4000mah batt in nose but still had to add about 3oz of lead as far up front as I could to get COG right.  From hand launch she flew beautifully and looks really good in the sky and was a delight until one of the motors didn't full its full weight on launch and the ground came up a bit quick! I still haven't fixed the problem (although the damage is repaired) as I am still getting an 8% difference in prop speeds. Project fro 2010 is to get it airborne. I think I have a pic in my photos (halfway through paint job! - if not then once I have done this I will try and attach. Enjoy - I have. Peter

Hi Guys.

At the final stages now, Delta I would have thought that painting straight onto wood will add weight and not too good a finish. As I wrote I have used poly c with tissue, then another two coats of Poly c well rubbed down, it is now primed with Halfords Plastic primer surfacer and I will rub this off until I can see that most of it has gone just filling the pin holes and hiding any blemishes. I am then looking to spray it with Humbrol enamel spray can if I can get the right colours. Sky underside, sea grey and sea green camoflage on top with invasion stripes on the underside only to help with a bit of visability.
Delta I fly from North Kent but it will be a good couple of weeks yet before I test fly it. I am using two 2250mah lipos in the nose and hope that I can get the CG right without too much lead. I'm using two 300w motors and must admit there is plenty of grunt when Ive bench run them.

Regards,

Glenn

Look forward to the pic's Peter !
Where in North Kent Glen, I'd love to come and see the maiden ! Weekday or weekend! PM me if you don't mind me coming along and let me know if I can bring a foamie to mess about with too! (see my thread on ST Models MX2), just a cheapie to use until it warms up and becomes a bit drier out there! My brother is the builder and artist, I'm the pilot and the radio gear installer ! We are both watching your progress and will get around to finishing our's off too, perhpaps we can both maiden on the same day !
Cheers, and keep us posted !

• 2 weeks later...
Latest update on the Mossie.  I have now sprayed it and today reinstalled the electrics and put the model together to check the Cof G, it looks as though I will have to use about 5oz of lead even with the lipos sticking out into the nose canopy. So if you can you need to build the tail as light as possible. I even hollowed out the block that fits at the end of the fus. I will add the lead to the nacelles as they are further forward than the fus. It also looks as though fitting the cockpit will not be easy either but it is starting to look like a proper plane. I tried the motors and there appears to be plenty of thrust so it should be Ok even in spite of adding extra lead. There appears to be a bit of confusion around the c of g as the plan shows 75mm from the leading edge I have assumed this not from the front of the radiatior moulding which puts it more like 90mm back.

Glenn

Glenn,
I managed to get away with 3oz of lead and put it under the battery housing as far forward as possible.  My batt is also as far forward into the nose as possible - doesn't look that pretty close up but not noticable when flying.  I took my CoG measurements from leading edge.  I also had trouble with the cockpit - not a pretty site, but again, above 30' not noticable.  Good luck. 
I need to get going with mine - one motor is pulling more revs than the other (about 8%).  Not sure a. whether it will make that much difference b. whether to invest in new motors and hope they will match or c. try adding a rudder - but that will make it more rear end heavy! Oh, the tribulations !!  I just wish it was warm enough to work in the garage.

Peter

Ok I'm not sure why the pics have become detactched from my posting, probably too much red wine. However as you can see it is all together. I'm not saying it is finished as I have come across a fairly major problem. I have the same problem that Pete described in that one of my motors is developing more thrust than the other, it is worse at lower rmp so maybe I could fly it at full throtle but would make landing a challenge. I have eventually tracked it down to the speed controllers as changing them over changes which motor runs faster. I've asked for help from BRC so will wait to see what they can suggest. When it came to balance the model I had added too much lead to each nacelle so had to remove some, AUP weight has come out at 3lb 10oz in old money. This means that with 400w I should have plenty of power available and it certianly feels like that., but I will not fly it until I have overcome the power inbalance as I have no rudder. I would also like to wait untill the crops around our patch get a bit longer just incase I have to ditch.

Glenn

• 3 weeks later...
Finally got a suitable day for the maiden flight. I must say it  flies better than I imagined. Plenty of power from a hand launch, I did not have to touch the trims and the stall just does not exist, the only problem I had was to stop it gliding beyond the strip so a low approach was required. It was a little bit twitchy on the elevator but that was cured by an increase in expo. I must say I'm very pleased with it and everybody at the patch was impressed by the way that it flew. I think if I was to build another one I would have included a rudder as I like a low pass down the strip with a banked curve and would use a bit of rudder to hold the nose up. So far three flights each of about 5mins only taking about 50% out of the lipos so I would think 6-7 min flights are easliy achieved, both lipos and motors were very cool so no overheating problems either.

Glenn.

Hello DW.
 Fortunately I have the identical set up in my E flite sea fury so I could swap all the components around and finally came to the conclusion that one speed controller was faster than the others, so by using the two slower ones I was able to get a speed match to within 300rpm. I spoke to the guys at BRC and they would have taken the two motors and speedos back and foundt me a matched pair so they were very helpfull. I must admit that it never entered my head that you would get a speed difference from using identical set ups, maybe if you have not already bought your power train it might be a good idea to point it out to whoever you are buying from.

Glenn

• 3 weeks later...
Glenn,
Took the chance last weekend of a flight (despite the 8% diff in motor speeds).  First flight went really well - no noticeable difference (big relief).  Second flight (next day) was with colleagues P38 in fly by (nice!) - turn to port to go cross wind and half way through lost speed and kept turning (into the ground!).  Fortunately ground was very soft and nosecone was recovered fully intact but engine mount and fuz covering damaged due to sudden stop.  This is the third time it has gone in port first.  Installed new esc's recently so might be the motor so will have to invest.  It looks so good in the air I am determined to get it airborne as much as poss this year - paint job not as good as yours though - cracking!
Peter