Percival Mew Gull

Advert

Where exactly did you go wrong Graham ? I have one of these models with an RCV SP120 up front. The prop is HUGE but then again the engine is geared and turns the prop at half speed. It is a most beautiful aeroplane and has not flown yet. All is ready to go but now I am considering keeping it hanging from the ceiling.

Regards

Gazza

Andrew, Graham,

My one is still in flying condition but as I was out of prop for a while I had it grounded for most of the summer.

Beside the poorly designed landing gear its a great plane, trick to take off for the tendency of tipping over, this cost me few props, and landing for shear speed, I tend to come in on the fast side as I'm afraid of stalling it. My one is quite heavy as I'm running a Roto 25cc petrol in the powerhouse with a large 20x8 wooden prop in the front.

Once up fly very well and I've never found any issues with elevator or other control surfaces.

I love the model but I find frustrating not been able to use the spats as they are a source of trouble.

Anyway best of look with them!!

ps Graham if you find yourself again with few spare bits think about me as a good home for them!!!!blush

Federico

If you are into plan building do as I did. I built and flew the Chorus Gull from the RCMW plans and it went on to take many scale honours. I then downloaded a plan, I think by Colin Usher, and scaled it up to 1/4. It was tiled and came out at 64 A4 sheets! One or two errors on it though. I changed the section to symmetrical and it will easily do a retro F3A schedule if I so wish, being rather overpowered by a YS 110. It is a doddle to fly with no obvious vices but difficult to see on a grey day in the white scheme.

There were two plans, it seems. One freebie in the March 89 issue of Radio Modeller, then a revamped plan through Nexus, same plan, but the fuselage has been cut in half for some reason and only shows one wing half. I have the original plan plus canopy and vacforms, still waiting to be addressed in anger. The revamped plan featured in RCM&E Feb 2002. I would put more faith in the original freebie from RM.

I got the mewgull out today for the Sunday session. Sky pretty grey an no wind to slow down things but my mind was set, those cobweb need to be shaked off! So with the help of a club mate I lined up the mew and throttle up with full elevator until elevator authority achieved. Lift off uneventful and the following 10 minutes of flight with no surprises, few loops and roll and nice wide turns. Landing with no wind make for a fast and low approach the model came down smoothly but eventually stopped on the nose, no harm done.

The second flight was petty much the same but just before the landing the wind picked up and the touchdown was neater and with the use of every inch of the patch I rolled to halt in a more dignified way.

Third flight show sign of not good carburation since the start and circa 5 minutes into the flight the engine cut in the worst spot as usual, this time the lack of wind turned out to be a blessing and with the plane gliding directly towards me I made the patch with a roll and a gentle nose over with no damages.

I was happy enough to go back with the model looking the same as when I left home so I called off the day.

For anyone who want to have a go at the mew gull I have two main recommendation to make: 1) forget the spats and bend the landing gear as forward as possible, 2) remember that the elevator has virtually no authority without the propeller washout so full elevator on the ground need to be paired with the propeller spinning lively! Once airborne the stock elevator is perfectly adequate.

Good luck with your mew gulls.

Federico