Percival Mew Gull

My Mew Gull was bought from Inwoods on 31 July 2009. I seem to remember they had only just had them in, so you may be right about mine being one of the earliest production models.

Did Seagull change the undercarriage mounting system to improve it, or to lower their costs? I'll give you my opinion when I've flown mine!

My main concern with this model has always been the doubtful engine location rather than the undercarriage, and I've no other complaints about the structural integrity of the model. It seems to be on a par with the general run of ARTF stuff we see nowadays.

The only other Seagull model I've owned was their smallish electric Decathlon, and that was a winner. Ridiculously cheap, beautifully built, immaculately covered, and it flew like a dream straight out of the box. I did strengthen the area of the fus where the u/c was mounted, but I do that as a matter of course on almost every ARTF model I've ever had.  Indeed, I'm also doing it on a genuine old-fashioned box-of-balsa AcroWot which I am currently building while waiting for the weather to improve. Let's face it, the combination of bumpy landing strips and pilot shortcomings (in my case) means that the u/c is always at risk!

Les

Advert

Its seems that Graham in contributing to this thread and joining in has been critisised unfairly.It was obvious with the dreadfull wather and snow that the review would be delayed and it was only his optumism in stating when the review was to appearwhere things have gone wrong.Thanks  for replying to your unfounded critics and your review as I stated before is eagerly waited  because for me its one of the few models Ive had previous knowledge.I had the Seagull electric Decathlon and lost it when it hit a cow as it walked into its path on landing.Still convinced the cow had a  on its face.Ive been fortunate with reviews.Ive just built the Seagull Cap 232 and noted the landing comment and in the process of building the Blackhorse P40 Tomahawk,so the reviews coincided well foir me.

I agree with Stephen.

I remember reading a review on a ARTF  EDF model ,the U/C colapsed and damaged the wing the reviewer did not hold back and included pictures of the damage.

Not sure if it was RCME but it shows the magazine reviewers are impartial and report as they find.

Look forward to your review Graham .

Kelvin 

Also if at times I think that reviews could be a bit more tough with the manufactures to try to get more attention from them, and I had pass my thought to the ed. in a separate occasion, I truly believe that the reviewer are doing a very decent job. I think that as in any other aspect of our life we tend to remember only the times we disagree on something rather then the more numerous time we actually agreed on. An other aspect I would like to mention at a very personal point of view is that the gentlemen testing the planes are on the 99% of the cases accomplished flyer with years of experience on setting up and fly any kind of model, I cannot say the same for myself. So my good landing might be a rough one for them. This I believe add a different prospective to the level of abuse they might put they test model under. All in all I'm quite happy with the reviews and I have total confidence that if the ed tell me the tests are fair are actually fair.
Could be a good think maybe to open new tread on popular models where people that actually has build and flow the same will add their list of pro and cons without long building description. Maybe then the one that honestly appear to highlight big manufaturing / design issue could be published in a little feature every so often to add value to the isolate modellers complains.

Best Regards,

Federico  

We get K & S music wire here in Oz, the closest to 5.5mm is the 7/32", which is 5.56mm. (Strange, thats the old Armalite calibre, ahhh takes me back to the old Army days!). Bit concerned about bending it so I have ordered in a K & S bending and coiling tool, from the States via internet. K & S claim it to be able to coil 3/16" and bend 1/4" music wire. We shall see.

My biggest problem is none of my local hobby shops stock hardwood block any more, not even engine bearer stock. I am thinking of epoxy laminating up some marine grade plywood to the required thickness and using that. The local timber is a Hoop Pine laminate, which can be used as a substitute for Douglas Fir and was the ply used in the construction of the Australian version of the deHavilland Mosquito during WW II. 

Posted by Arte et Marty on 23/02/2010 05:39:36:

My biggest problem is none of my local hobby shops stock hardwood block any more, not even engine bearer stock. I am thinking of epoxy laminating up some marine grade plywood to the required thickness and using that. The local timber is a Hoop Pine laminate, which can be used as a substitute for Douglas Fir and was the ply used in the construction of the Australian version of the deHavilland Mosquito during WW II. 

if you must try to fix this p.o.s. , go to Bunnings and get some Aussie/Tasmanian  oak , and use it  so it wont split with load....there's no better timber

Ian

About the controversey I had no idea.
For the landing gear I still hope I get some positive feedback from the supplier, failing that I can only get short of 4mm piano wire. No way I going to find hardwood so thick I will use doubled up 1" marine plywood. I'll wait an other while before starting the fix as I am curious to see if seagull come up with an alternative solution.
Best Regards,

Federico 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

here my news on the mewgull.
In the last several weeks I,ve been in contact with SMC and J Perkins. After a number of e-mails JP very kindly offer me to replace my wings providing I'll send back my own! Beside the postal charge in sending back a large item I could not justify cutting an almost good wing just to post it back. So I agreed with Nick from SMC, who assist me in this dealing from the start, to get some 4.87mm (6swg) piano wire and try the modification. I also got a piece of mahogany from a friend and I carry out the mods as per attached pictures.
I decided not to cut a groove in the wing yet, I'll do if the mod stand up a few landings. Once the modification is tested and  succesfull I'll tackle the spats modification.

Cut outs on wing top, these can be covered after and they will be invisible as below the fuselage. The measure are to help anyone would likt to udertake the mod.

Mahogany blocs bottom has been shaved to follow wing shape.
5 min epoxy has been used. The blochs fit between ribs and spar to give 4 points of contact plus the bottom sheeting. Blocks are just over 1" thick.

6swg (4.87mm) wire has been a pain to bend but using a big vive and an heavy hammer I goth the two spot on. The 90 deg bends need more refining to follow the shape of the wing so at the end are both over 90 deg. to keep things square.

The block could have been a bit deeper but this is what I manage to get.

I decided to not to cut the wing surface to embedd the piano wire untill I'm happy with the modification.
The difference in diameter from the original legs does not look to be an issue once the three grub screws are tight up.

I left the portion of piano wire feeding through the oleo a bit longer than the original. I'm planning to let the wheel protrude from the spat a bit more than original design hoping that the extra clerance will help.

The weather forecast for this week end are pretty bad so I do not have huge hopes to try my mods. Does any one had a go with the mew gull at the flight site? 

Regards,

Federico

Hi Guys,

Heads up on a mag review of the Mew

RC Model World  april 2010.

He had no problems with the U/C bending/ damaging the U/C mounting points??

He did a mod on the spats and bent the U/C forward a tad with a bit of toe in to improve ground handling.

Have a read

Kelvin

FREDRICO,   you mentioned they offered to replace your wings-- what with?  has there been a mod to later kits???   i like your mod with the blocks,    simple, and will work,  it is a true torsion block--unlike the one in the kit!!      could have used more glue though

would it be possible to cant the leg forward, to stop the nose over, and sand the base of the spat, to cant the spat forward a tad??  think i will go this route on mine,  thanks for the idea,   

Posted by IAN WHITE on 19/03/2010 19:24:42:
So how are you going to stop the wheels catching on the spatts ???

Hello..................................................

the only way would be to fix the spat to the leg , so it moved with it

maybe I might get an answer..........

Perhaps

Ian

Federico, thanks for posting pics of the mods you have made.  I had just started cutting into my wing tonight to do something very similar! Looks good and am looking forward to hearing how it goes.  I am planning on using a product called VISE (a polyurethane glue similar to gorilla glue) to glue my blocks into place.  It expands quite a lot to fill gaps, so I won't have to shape the block to the wing profile completely.

I may also fill the space under the original ply mounting block to give that area a bit more strength.  When I cut open the wing tonight, I found the original block is roughly an inch square!!  I'm not sure this would stay in place on a really heavy landing, it looks to be taking a lot or all of the load in that situation.  I'm afraid it will just get pushed straight up into the wing cavity.

Wing cut up.  Not sure what to do about burying the new wire.  Need to reinforce ribs somehow as they'd need to be cut 
The original mounting block!  Not much of it.  Will it take the stress of a heavy landing?? 

Edited By Justin Cooper on 21/03/2010 12:48:11

Hi,

I got the plane in the car yesterday, the pach grass was very nice and short, the wind blowing mildly in the righ direction, perfect conditions..... no fuel! Got the glow fuel for my second model and not the petrol can, probabily I'm not tune in yet on that red can. So as the patch is not at my doorsteps I decided not to bother to go back and I just had a good few flights with my saphir. Quite a good session but a real pity I was really looking forward solo the mew gull. Anyway I'm sure I'll get an other chance.
speaking about spats I think there are a couple of options; one is more complicate and I have describe it in one of the precedent posting. substantially this will require cut the spat leg in order to create two pats, one will stay screwed to the existind mounting blocks the other will be attached to the wheel aluminium support. The gap will be then covered with flexible material. The second is much more basic, this will retain the current set uo but the front of the spat will be carved out as per real flying example while the spat bottom part behind the wheels will also be remove to leave as much clearance as possible. As I've not took off the plane myself yet I cannot gauge the nose over issue so I'll decide if I need to change the wheel forward position after my first take off.
From Sea Gull point of view they do not reconise an issue so no mods on the wing design are in the pipe line, so I've been told.

Regards,

Federico

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 22/03/2010 09:29:24

Hi all,

eventually the day arrived and with a grey sky an very little wind I decided to go for it.
Before I tell you how it go I just want to say that I purchased the April issue of RC Model World where the percival got a decent enough review. The reviewer give some tips about control surfaced deflection that confirm some of mine and other blogger findins, this add a bit of confidence in the approching flying session.
So sunday was a decent day and withouth forgetting the potrol can I reached the patch.
After the usual safety checks and with my roto 25 running at a smooth idle I trhottled up gradually keeping full up elevator until a decen speed was achieved (I dislike to take off air carrier style). The mew gull lift off  nicely and gained safe hight in few seconds. After a couple of cirquits and two clicks of down elevator to achieve a gentle drop on strait flight I tried the roll loop cuban eight split s, bunt etc.  Rolls are axial and with 15mm up and 7.5 mm down the aileron feeling is pretty good. As per the review throttleing up to full chat does not increase the speed much but with the roto singing away I could pull any size of loop I liked! Quite impressive! no rudder oe aileron correction required in the mild wind.
The elevetor is quite responsive and during flight more than enough to pull decent 4 points loops, not very scale-ish anyway.
I did not try any silly low speed direction changes so I did not esperience any tip stall but mind you I never really let the gull slow down too much especially withouth a decen head wind.
After 15 min flight the timer went off and I settle for a landing. Speed was kept  a bit too high but neverless I flight the gull home. Not the best of the landing with a bounce, after this I thought I was safe but instead the plane stop on it's nose despite my full elevator.
The instructor firs landing few weeks backwas similar with the result of damaging landing gear and wing, this time instead no damage or bending was founded.
The second take off was attempted and trying to keep the plane on the ground even longer resulted in a damage to my wooden 18x10 prop. Good job I had a spare as it is not the usual size you can borrow from a mate at the field.
Ok a bit wiser I took off for the second time still using all the runway to maximise speed and look. More aerobatic confirm that this plane is not only good looking but also fun to fly. The second landing was much better, very smooth no bounce at all but again at the very end of the landing the plane nose over withouth damages. Just a note to say that I did move the wheels forwad a good bit but still not enough.
Third time lucky... tatke off good, aerobatic ok... landing... This time I came down trying to bleed a bit more speed but once I wase one foot from the ground I flared achieving a very nice three pointer and rolling to stop maintaining full elevator. No nose over and resulting round of applause!!
Three pointer are the way to go for me but do not expect to glide the mew gull in!
I'm very chuffed indeed, the plane and the motor are a very good match. I'll fit the cowl and I think also the spats once modified. The article say that is for experienced pilot but as I do not classified in this category I'm even happier.
It would have been fantastic if seagull had fitted scale flaps adding to the look and avoiding me to get even more white air at each landing!     
To the next sortie,
All the best

Federico

Hi all,

thank's a lot. It is indeed a lovely model and I'm thinking in the future to build the small jamara one if I get my hands over a kit. Is I said it is not the most easy friendly model but after all is the price we have to pay for very scale proportion and shapes. I'll give it an other good few of  flight and if I do not mess up I'll start working on the cockpit and scales details.
I'll try to remember the camera next time I'll bring it to the patch.
Good look with your mew gulls.
All the best.

Federico

Hi Federico - great news. I bet you heaved some big sighs of relief after that flying session!

My Mew Gull is still slung in the roof of my workshop awaiting its maiden - partly because like you I've been reading the Model World review and pondering some control surface changes, and partly because our flying strip is still very wet and muddy.  I'm reluctant to add mud-clogged axles to whatever other problems my undercarriage may have in store for me. Instead I'm flying foamie electric things that I don't really care about!

Anyway, this blog has been a great help, and many thanks to you for starting it.

Cheers - Les

Hi Les,

I've always been very surprise how people put a lot of efford in feeding information in blogs and so doing provide valuable information to others. I guess this was my pay back!
I'm delighted has been of help and hopefully before adding the last full stop we will get more happy ending stories and few more handy fix for the ongoing issue. Will be nice to be able to conclude with an album of our model on the respective grass stips! Mybe we can star a Mew club.
All the best

Federico