IC Conversion

Well, just done my first IC conversion [.46 Mustang, with retracts....I know, I know, not another Mustang! But it was cheap, and they are known to fly well, so it seemed like a good start]. And it's FANTASTIC!

Even the IC die hards were impressed, it was a doddle to do, AND cheaper to build than the IC equivalent [obviously not taking into account Lipo....which is like taking into account how much glow fuel you are going to use!]....I wanted to move away from small EF models [windy airfield!], and this has just converted me, big is beautiful!

Advert

Plane is, to be honest, one I imported from Hong Kong, nearest to compare would be Hanger 9 PTS P51 [same size, colour scheme] but including retracts [fixed gear on Hanger 9].

Motor is a 600w, 830kv Tower-Pro out-runner spinning 12x6 E-Prop, 60amp OPTO ESC, 4300mAh 20c 4s [14.8v] Lipo.

Used standard IC type RX pack, through standard 7 channel Futaba RX.

Performance is superb, it is certainly faster than an 0.46, helped by being 200grm underweight! [it's smack on 2.5kg].

Fitting motor was a doddle using an adjustable motor mount [BRC Hobbies], obviously firewall already sorts thrustline, although with the extra power, I'm going to tame the thrust line slightly, as it's trimmed with a little down elevator to keep it level at full throttle.

The whole thing was very painless [not expected] and straight forward. Stunning performance, good duration and I can fly in the wind at last!

Alan

I've powered three 65" ish gliders with three different motor setups as follows;

Lightweight balsawood "minidrake" powered with a 7.2V speed 400 motor, 6x4 folder and 7 - 8 cell nicad/nimh packs, and on this it's sedate but capable. It's OK in a breeze, but being lightly loaded is not that happy in a blow. The airfoil is a flat-bottomed clarke-Y.

ARTF "Teltech Jane" with thinner wing section and fibre-glass fuselage powered with speed 480 and 6x4 folder. This glider climbs a lot quicker, particularly on 8 cells, and really scoots when you put the nose down, although it's no aerobat (it's rudder-elevator only).

Kit-built "Robbe Varta Fly" with plastic fus. Powered initially with direct drive speed 600 motor and 8 x 5 prop (uninspiring but flyable) then with geared motor and 11 x 7 prop(a bit better) then with direct drive Cobalt 05 7-turn motor (much better) on 9 x 5 prop. Copes well with a breeze, climbs well on 7 sub-C cells. Unlikely to disappear out of sight upwards.

I don't have info on the weight to hand, but the first two were light, the last one on the heavy side.

Whether your glider is happy on a speed 400/600 direct drive or geared will depend on the wing, cos that's what gliders are, a dirty great big wing.

If your glider is happy with a cox motor - use a direct-drive speed 400. If you're flying it with a 10 or bigger motor, then a speed 600 is the way to go.

HTH

AlistairT

Did I mention that the Teltech Jane has a squirrelly rear fus due to control reversal (it's only got two control surfaces!!! what a muppet), I peeled the covering off one wing of the Varta fly in a prolonged dive (it didn't go any faster...), and the Mini-Drake was trodden on by an overenthusiastic child?

My enthusiasm for the work I'm currently doing can be easily judged by the brevity of my postings, which is directly related to my eagerness to get back to it....

AlistairT :)

Hmmmm, there is a problem here, which I didn't want to bring up, but, the current batch of Tower Pro motors have serious faults, and BRC have assured me that they are being withdrawn from sale until it's sorted out. They do have alternative motors, but of course, they are more money.

That's as "in depth" as I'll go at this stage, they have been very helpful at this stage in resolving, and have assured me that they are going to replace all the equipment FOC, which when it arrives, I'll be happy enough about.

Because of the fault, which drew silly amounts of current, I can't comment on flight time.

• 4 months later...

I like the look of the GP super sportster mk2 .46 artf and would like to convert to EP, preferably using a Dualsky motor. Does anyone konw how i would go about this. I've always been a 'electric' and i'm not sure is the fuselage is wide enough or capable of taking and easily changing lipos.

any suggestions?

Hi Christian, I don't know the model, but it's unlikely to be difficult. The Dualsky motor is difficult to knock for the price, but have a look at the dimensions firstly, for engine mounts. The Dualsky can use either a radial mount, or can be mounted behind an IC conversion motor mount [which one you use will be dictated by cowl length]. If there is the room, you can mount the motor simply enough using threaded bar/nuts. Otherwise, you can buy multi-adjustable motor mounts.

Weight is the next issue, you will get away with 4s Lipo pack up to around 6.5lbs [that would be quite a high kv motor, 8-900 I would have said, probably around 12" prop, 650w], after that, you may have to look at increasing voltage.

IC conversion flight packs usually need a little thought, you obviously want to get as much flight time as possible, minimum you want will be around 3500mAh. All I do is measure how much room you have around the battery mount [where the fuel tank would have lived], and then have a look at the dimensions of the pack you fancy, usually a simple balsa/ply plate with velco hoops will do.

IC stuff isn't designed for Lipo's, so it's nearly always a case of removing the wing for charging, etc......two bolts? Not exactly a big deal! Obviously you will want an OPTO ESC, with a standard IC type RX battery/switch harness, etc.

Hi Adam, I have just acquired a Flair Baronnette and am going to power it with A123 M1 cells. Thought it would be good for some dawn raiding. I am looking at using a very low KV motor normally for a high cell count, possibly TP3520-8T however I will use equivalent of three lipo cells this will give high current low voltage. This should result in a large propeller spinning slowly. I am looking at turning an 18" prop I have some power train testing to do  first, but don't give up on electrifying it. Did your Baronette come with wheels, I couldn't believe a £100 kit doesn't include wheels!!

Cheers

Danny