Shock flyers/indoor planes, depron.

Hi all,

Im quite suprised ive taken an interest in this now because before I wouldent give it a second thought. The thought of haveing one of these little planes is really appealing to me now though.#

My problem is Im not sure where to get one and which one to get?.
Can somebody help or advise please.

I want to buy one that can be bound with my transmitter (spectrum dx6i), ive seen ones that you can do this with but are very small, im still very keen though.

Id really want a bind and fly one complete package minus radio, about 30 inch wingspan as well or 20 all the ones ive seen with chargers are ideal but very small, about 12inches. Would the smaller ones be OK to fly outdoors on calm days and what would you class as a calm day with these? no wind?.

Adivce and feedback would be greatly appreciated, oh and something just over or under 100 pound even better lol.

cheers all.

Advert

Its not BNF, but I recommend the Flying Wings Hornet - does it all, rolls, loops, prop hangs, yet doodles around like a trainer on low rates.

I've quite a few indoor planes some of which flew beautifully, but didn't take the rough and tumble of feral foamies.

I built a Tetra (Robotbirds) in two hours last weekend, flies really well, but perhaps a bit fast, flies well outside.

We have a FreeBee (Robotbirds) seems big but flies slow, very easy going so not such a challenge to fly.

Had a Fresh3D, perhaps the best flier, but hours of repair for every mid-air.

Andy

i'd go for an F3P model personally as they're specifically designed for indoor and have ridiculously low wing loadings. They are consequently very slow and an ideal introduction (aswell as being world quality) indoor aerobats. The ones to go for are the clik V2 (i have one - they're simply phenomenal), the donuts range from robotbirds or the fancy foam. While there are better advertised and cheaper models out there, its worth getting it right for the better flying characteristics.

I've kind of been a pioneer in my club on the indoor aerobatics scene and initially suggested the clik V1 to a guy who was flying an overweight edge. He was stunned at how well they fly and how manageable they are. He isn't a great flyer, but he still had no problems with it. 3 sessions into flying my clik, i am flying rolling circuits and wall hangs.

Don't go BNF on the shockie front as there's noting good yet available (the 4-site may change that, but its a bit small and probably has a higher wing loading) so if you want a full setup (i'll try and make it under £100 if you want) then just post back or pm me. 

Hi all,

thanks for the feedback the web links and suggestions are brilliant, many thanks indded.

Hi Johnathan, thanks for the help there as well, if you could find a set up for that price I would be very greatfull, however I would like something I could fly outdoors as well, weather permitting of course, many thanks.

Oh my Radio gear is Spectrum DX6i.

ok, just on the topic of outdoor/indoor performance: you can either go for an all on indoor model and get the best performance indoors or you can make a compromise and get something that flies well outdoors but may be too heavy or fast for outdoors.

Rec Setup:
model - indoor specific - clik V2 or the similar, heavier, but slightly cheaper Malibu F3P

rx - the expensive bit - either the AR6300 (2g!) or the AR6100, 6100e or 6110(e). you could look around the 2nd hand market for a cheap one if you don't already have any of these.

servos - for the AR6300 - waypoint 3.8 JST, for normal plugs SG50s are adequate, but you might want to consider something between 3.8-6g of higher quality.

motor - lots of choice here; i've fitted the hacker A-10 15S to my clik and its brilliant, but something like this is cheaper. essentially what you're looking for is a 55-70W motor that weighs between 12-15g that runs on 2s lipos.

esc - should be the lightest you can find that is within the max amps of the motor. i've fitted a pulso 11A which is light, smooth and cheap. its also from a fledgling british company.

lipo - SMC have the flightpower 2s 300 on special offer at £4.75. great pack for indoor.

source some 0.8 connectors from robotbirds and an APC 7x4 and you should be just about there.

total cost for the cheapest setup is:
malibu - £30
AR6100 - £38
3x SG50 - £11.50
motor - £11
pulso 11A - £14
FP 300 - £4.75
prop - £3
Connectors - £3
TOTAL = £115.25

drat, over £100 . still, you could save money on sourcing a 2nd hand rx or using an exisiting one. you might find a cheaper esc and motor on www.hobbyking.com and brc have the malibu at less although its out of stock at the mo.

Edited By Jonathan Lewzey on 21/10/2009 11:06:48

I have the sukhoi. and i would advise not to get one as a first indoor model as it flies fast and needs a large space to fly in (over two basketball courts) and its 3D capabilitys are misleading. It copes better with smooth pattern manouvers but will still tip stall at slow speeds if your not on the ball. In your position i would look at the Parkzone Micro Mustang BNF as it will do everything the sukhoi will do but will be more stable.

I make all my indoor models from free plans downloaded fron the internet just google for free ones you will be suprised at the number of good ones there are you can print them onto a4 paper and tape them together all you need is a sheet of depron,carbon fiber and some glue ,build as light as you can . RC Groups have loads of plans,or build the Ballerina from the free plan!

The Ballerina is a great plane for getting to grips indoor. It'll fly at walking pace but you'll need to remember to use the rudder as well as ailerons like any superlight shocky (or f3per)

I ended up making 2 , one depron  and one in EPP for practice ...huge fun !!

a few more pics here http://www.modelflying.co.uk/albums/member_album.asp?a=2712

Hi all,

many thanks for the feedback. I would just like to say that maybee im not making myself quite clear and maybee you can all help.

First of all I would much rather prefere a profile plane to fly outdoors as well, something with a 30" wingspan. I was looking at a Kyosho edge recently and it was great.

Bind and Fly would be great but I realise now that the larger ones do not require this or offer it.

Could anyone explain the difference between shockies, profile and micro's. The ones I like are like the ones you fly out doors but also like the micro indoor planes but no good for me.

Many thanks all.