broken engine

Marko

Hi All ....ive been flying my chipmunk the engine is an OS 91 4 stroke
its been fine ,starting first time but now ive had my first major engine failure
engine started and it was fine l had a fly and landed. fueled up and started the engine  but the prop just spun without starting there is no compression
on inspection l found the inlet valve spring to be broken
lve got a new set from justengines but l dont know how to remove the
collets from the spring to remove it ..........
   ls there a tool for this job.......
        ls it a job you can do without much knowledge of repairing engines
    or ......... should l send it to justengines to fix
       any help would be great      and save me money

cheers........................mark

Advert

You couod use a proper small spring compressor, but frankly, its usually possible to do with a couple of flat blade screwdrivers or similar levers... an assistant is useful for spotting where the collets shoot off to after you prise them off
Some engines use a circlip to hold the spring top in place on the valve stem.

The tool is known as fingers...

With the cylinder head removed, hold the head of the valve with your thumb and use the 2 "Churchill" fingers (weaker hand) to depress the collar at the top of the valve.  There  are 2 split collets round the head of the valve stem which you'll need to ease off with a small screwdriver or similar.  Some people do this job in  a clear plastic bag in case everything pings...

Reassembly is the opposite procedure easing the collets into place and releasing the spring pressure so that they're gripped by the collar.  Fiddly but you'll get there in the end!

Mark, when dismantling and refitting. put the cylinder  head in a large clear plastic bag, work with your hands inside it so that nothing goes astray,  make sure everything goes back together the same as it was dismantled and clean everything. Loosen and tighten the bolts holding the head down in a diagonal pattern,

Or, if in doubt, personally I would send it to John Haytree in Devon to fix.

Ok thanks guys l have fingers when the head bolts are out and the push rods out is there much force needed to remove the head l dont want to force it and damage it or bend the push rod covers would a flat blade screwdriver do the job to prize it off ?

No prising necessary - the head should just lift off but there's probably a hidden bolt under the rocker post.  It's good practice to remove the rocker post (1 bolt) at TDC on the compression stroke and you should do this before slackening any head bolts.

The only thing then that might hold it is the rubber pushrod tube seals but you can just ease the head away from the pushrod tubes .

Edited By Martin Harris on 21/10/2009 00:22:43

be cafreful not to score or otherwise damage the head if you use a screwdriver - why not remove the head screws before anything else, and with a plug fitted, turn the engine over, and the compression stroke should usually pop it off.
A little oil in through the exhaust port may aid this by increasing compression.

I'd be very surprised if a tool was needed - I've worked on many OSs and clones and haven't known one to need any tool to remove it .  Please try to avoid using anything if you can. Perhaps if it's been run for years on castor....?

Never managed to get the head off a Saito, though

Edited By Martin Harris on 21/10/2009 00:36:38

I've have just replaced the valve springs on my OS 91. If you put a small block of balsa under the head so that it fits within the dome you can press down on the valve collets by resting it all on your bench or suitable surface that way you can push down quite hard. You may even need to use something just to free the collar off as it can get quite tight but once the taper is loosened then you should not have a problem. Refitting them is quite easy but watch out those collets are very small and can go ping.
This is the second time my OS has broken springs each time it was the exhaust, I think it is over revving in a dive so now have fitted a larger pitch prop.

Glenn

I've have just replaced the valve springs on my OS 91. If you put a small block of balsa under the head so that it fits within the dome you can press down on the valve collets by resting it all on your bench or suitable surface that way you can push down quite hard. You may even need to use something just to free the collar off as it can get quite tight but once the taper is loosened then you should not have a problem. Refitting them is quite easy but watch out those collets are very small and can go ping.
This is the second time my OS has broken springs each time it was the exhaust, I think it is over revving in a dive so now have fitted a larger pitch prop.

Glenn

Hi Glen look up  all done now matey thanks my old os 91 is a mk1 lts out of my blackhorse chippie so its not even working to hard i thinks the springs time was up
lve cleaned the valves and inside the head with fairy power spray (liquid gold)
everything went back together nice and clean
cheers .......................mark