Solartrim Lettering

Shaun K

I'm looking for advice on placement of Solartrim lettering onto a Solarfilm covered fuselage. I'm just about finished on my first plan build (RCME Miss Lizzy plan) and have only got some lettering to go.

The instruction sheet for Solartrim says to immerse the letter in water with a few drops of detergent and peel the backing off while under water. My first attempt with this failed dismally because the paper backing soaked through and wouldn't peel off cleanly. I also had trouble floating the letter into place. Despite wetting the surface and a cutting out a new letter, it just stuck in place right away.

Can anyone offer advice on the right way to float Solartrim into place? How long do you soak for and how wet does the surface need to be?

Thanks,
Shaun K, Newcastle, Australia.

Advert

Shaun,
You need both the adhesive surface of the trim and the surface of the film you are going to attach it to covered in water. Don't worry about over doing it as the aim is to have a film of water between the two surfaces until you are satisfied with the position. Once you are happy a firm press down on the letter will disperse the water and let the adhesive do it's stuff. Don't put too much detergent in though as this can interfere with the bond. Once pressed into place mop up with kitchen towel.