Camera Mounting to Wing Tip

I've been toying with the idea of mounting my camera to the wingtip of my extra 300s, looking back at the aircraft itself, I've seen a few and the results looked pretty good.
Anyone tried this, and how did you fix / mount the camera, what camera was it, and did you counter balance with a weight on the other wing tip? Here's the camera I want to use, it has a 5mp capture for stills, and takes one every 3 or 10sec, or video at TV quality. The wide angle lens too would show all the aircraft side on, from the wingtip, giving an interesting view of controls moving as well as the flying site.

I've had it stuck on with double sided tape and tie wraps to the fz nose, giving the thru prop shot, but wingtip would be great ! Any ideas please?

Edited By Delta Whiskey on 30/10/2009 14:54:00

Advert

yo delta-i have had a flycam on different model's.....if you go ahead and mount your camera on the wing tip-be prepared for a massive trim change when/if you get off the ground.....4.9oz is a fair weight to put on the wing tip........be prepared for .....if you dont catch it in time..........on take off...

profit of doom ken anderson...........

Has it got a tripod mount on the bottom - i.e. a small screw threaded socket, quite coarse?

If so, perhaps get a bolt of appropriate thread and glue this to the wing tip, then screw camera on. to hold the view/position I's suggest 2 'winglets' for it to sit against and prevent spin in either direction.

Good idea about the winglets Olly. No the Camera is not big enough to have the camera tripod type thread fitted, it would have been ideal, but I need another method !

Double sided tape and a long tie wrap around the fuz held it just about, for through the prop view, but I think there will be a lot more forces in play at the wing tip?

Delta Whiskey
Wing tip cameras do give an exciting view but nearly 5 ounces is a huge amount to put on a wing tip so you must balance it.

There  is also the extra drag to consider. You should balance that as well with a similar shaped object on the other tip (another camera?) and all this drag and weight at the tips wont do much for the flight characteristics.

Is an Extra a good plane to do this sort of thing on?

Good luck and don't forget to post the results.

• 5 months later...

Have you done it? 

I stuck a cam onto the end of my wingtip of my little fox a while back. It wasn't a full blown camera, but one of those FPV types with a super wide lens that was transmitting, so weight and drag was very little.  All I did was make sure it was over the current Cof G and then threw some lead on the other tip. 

You are right though, the angle is really cool.

I'd be working out if your plane would be happy with 280 grams more than it currently flies at. 

Here's my vid for those interested. Apologies in advance for the quality. first time transmitting video, so didn't have the antenna set up properly, and for the first bit had a dirty lens!  oh, and my encoding skills were a little rusty. But apart from all that it's fine!

http://vimeo.com/2990131