JePe / Fly Fly Hobby F22 Raptor

Hi Dusty, yeah its the Jepe stuff, your right about the sandpaper, still too flexible at the moment, but at least it is dry. Noticed a few wrinkles this morning, so its not perfect but not bad for a first try, what method do you use? I've seen people attach clips to the cloth to pull it down smooth at the edges, all I did was brush it on. Just glued the fins on now and have added some scrap foam at the rear to fair in the fins. Then more sanding and spackling before I glass the top.

Tom

Advert

Hi Tom,

I use tiny blobs of CA to tack the cloth to the surface, then you stretch it back whilst you apply the epoxy, this way the cloth is'nt going all over the place with the brush! Its a nightmare of a job! Once its all dry, sand it then spray it with some primer, once that is dry fill the honey combs and then you know what comes next! Some more sanding!

Thanks for the link Dusty, I think I've been doing it the hard way, I wrapped the glass cloth around the edges while it was still wet. From the article I assume you just wet the excess cloth and wait for it to cure before trimming and then sand back the edges, is this correct?

Cheers

Tom

Tom ya give it a go and see how it comes out, I guess you need to try all the tricks until you hit the one that you are best at! If some of the excess is wet it be easier to cut and sand, as well as you wont be pulling on the tips allowing  the cloth to tangle and string itself!

Well still finishing the fins before glassing the top, here is how its looking at the moment.

Fins glued on with scrap foam added to the rear roots to help fair them in to the body.

Foam sanded back and spackled, ready for final sanding.

Fin glue joint hidden with spackle, ready for sanding back to the foam.

Well, will have to leave it to go off, might get to finish the glassing later tonight.

Tom

Sorry Dusty got distracted and melted down some lead to make ballast for an M60 slope soarer instead, want to go flying tomorrow, the Raptor will have to wait another day, I see you and the guys have been busy designing under carriage mountings in the other thread, good luck with that

Tom

• 5 months later...
Well thought I better try and finish this thing so here goes

Cut out ailerons.

Chamfer aileron

Face aileron with lite ply, should have used 1/64 but all I had was 1/32 oh well.

Face off false trailing edge.

Mask up leaving just a 2 - 3mm gap for the silicone hinge.

Mask aileron into neutral position leaving a 2 - 3mm gap for a thin bead of silicone, using a caulking gun, bathroom silicone sealant and a very thin nozzle (used one off a cyano bottle) lay down a thin bead of silicone, finish off with a pointy stick (cut down matchstick). Takes a couple of goes to get it right, but you end up with a perfect hinge that any mouldie glider would be proud of You can add wiper seals as well, but I'm not bothering

Linkages next

Nice to see its back on the bench Tom
Interesting hinge method! i would pay attention to these as with the mirage I have had a elevon come loose after some hard beat ups! Will be intersted to to see the roll rate with this too and if any differential will be needed for smooth rolls?

Hi Dusty, been playing with Gliders, MTBing and getting married, but enough of the excuses, I forgot to add the rest of the glassing photos from earlier this year (January ) so here they are

Glassing and rubbing down, enough to put anyone off building model aeroplanes, hope Jepe's new Poly-C method is a lot easier

Roll rate should be good, Jepe's F22 that I saw flying rolled OK, the stock jet relys on the tailerons for roll rate so the ailerons are going to be much better, wonder if I should still have the tailerons as well?

Tom

More aeromodelling fun, linkages were a nightmare, top tip wrap the servo plugs in tape before you glass, hardened epoxy is a pain to remove

Linkages done

Close up of taileron linkage, gave up trying to drill a hole in the bolt and went to the model shop looking for somthing else, managed to use these strip aileron horns instead, much easier.

Aileron linkage close up, couldn't find any small screws for the horns so ended up filing down the heads of servo screws down instead, not fun

Needs a hook and a paint job, can't decide whether to do Jepe's mod on raising the ailerons and wing tips to give it some extra up trim (I guess its nearly a delta) would be nice to just get the CoG rearward instead, at the moment with the battery fully back the CoG is rearward of Jepe's recommendation so I might be able to get away with it, what do you think? Guess I will have to e-mail Jepe again Jepe says it needs a ton of up trim to fly!

Tom

PS - off to relax now, planning on doing a Summer Solstice MTB ride across High Street in the Lakes tonight, Dusk to Dawn MTB riding! Better go and charge the lights!

Wing tips cut on bottom of wing and re-glued using polyurethane glue to add 3mm uptrim to match ailerons

Gouging out fuse to accept piano wire hook and plywood plate

Hook and plate epoxied into fuse.

Have done a quick CoG test and this bird has ended up a bit tail heavy, will have to mount the battery up front to get it to balance, its annoying because I could have gone for a bigger battery, 5 Ah rather than the 4 Ah I went for, at the time I was worried about it being nose heavy (after the Sniper) and the 30C 6s1p 4 Ah battery was roughly the same weight of the 25C 6s1p 4.5 Ah one Jepe used. Of course I'm not running a separate RX battery up front like Jepe did and I forgot about that, live and learn, the ESC has a switch mode BEC so I should be OK, fingers crossed.

Planning on just priming the model tomorrow and then try a test flight this weekend, before commiting to a proper paint job, just in case it doesn't fly

Tom

Well it flies! Looked a bit cumbersome on the bungee, but it took off like a love sick Angel, far too much up-trim, needed 50% down trim to tame, very fast and elegent, roll rate was a bit slow, but soon corrected by adding more throw, rolls very fast and axial, flies inverted OK, loops are very large and can wander a little, first landing was perfect. Bleed all the speed off by going a long way out, then cut throttle to almost nothing and get the nose up to slow her down. Subsequent landings were a bit too fast, the large size of this jet makes it difficult to judge its speed. Knocked up 5 flights in all, of 5 mins duration + landing circuit. The Turnigy batteries provide plenty of power, but seem lacking in capacity as I am only putting 2.5 Ah back into a 4 Ah battery, maybe they will get better with use, or maybe I should buy more expensive brand

Paint job next, in time for Middle Wallop next weekend.

Thanks for watching!

Tom

Hi Tom,

Great job, she looks pretty! I will have a look at the vid now. I think you have converted me to getting one of these!

Yes the Mirage is flying on rails still, getting some war wounds but still looks the bizz. Just got the lipos for the Hawk so will get her airborne asap! Will probably take a trip to the Jepe factory again later this month I hope...

Jepe should be launching his F22 production kit very soon, will be a lot less sanding for you if you decide to get one

That grey canopy was bugging me so have just been spraying it blue, getting very last minute this model as I am off to Middle Wallop with it tomorrow, unfortunately Jepe won't be able to make it this year, hasn't finished his new 8S1p Mirage yet.

Tom

PS - Good luck with the Hawk, are you going to give it a nose job, the stock one looks a bit ugly to me. I still have a little 70mm fan West Wings hawk to finish as well

Fly by at Middle Wallop, this is where the model was purchased from a year ago, its quite poetic that it came back transformed from a pile of foam to a great flying jet. Jepe informs me that he has revamped the kit to make it a lot easier to build so if you want one, tell him I sent you

Cheers

Tom

• 1 month later...