Crow on a FF9

Advert

Are the flaps separate control surfaces or are you using flaperons (Flap / Ailerons combined)?
I assume the former is the case from your previous comment but I am just making sure.

As I understand it, the ailerons go up, the flaps down and the elvator is mixed in to control pitch changes.

On my FF8 it is called butterfly (abv. Bfly on my Tx).

Could it be you throttle stick setup is incorrect or the switch assignment is incorrect?

Andy,

I had exactly the same problem with my FF9 - it didn't matter what I tried, the crow braking would not work so I gave up in disgust.
There are three glider modes, which one are you using?
I must admit that the manual is probably more of a hinderance than a help. I managed the thermal and speed settings too but don't ask me how.
If you do manage it please let me know.

Andy.

• 2 months later...
Gentlemen, we now have CROW braking. It was not that obvious to get it working though.
The gist of it is: CROW is permanently assigned to switch A.. You need to have switch A down for it to work even in you have set up everything else. If anyone needs a more thorough description please ask........

Now all i need are the control throws for a "ruby".... can anyone help?

Andy,

You should have been round to my Gaff yesterday.!!!

I was struggling like you to set up my FF9 for this sort of thing on my new 2m highlight. 

Enrico popped round.  After a lot of head scratching, cups of tea, trial and error, we've got all manor of mixes set up for the highlight..  Crow, butterfly, linked aileron/flap (sort of makes the flaps work in unison with the ailerons for extra turning).....  Flaps are linked to the throttle.

This model now has more switches and programs than a 747!!!!     

Hope I remember them all in flight or  will happen............... followed by

Edited By Craig Carr on 03/02/2010 17:01:17

Craig, It does indeed look like it might be a minefield on the switch front.

I had everything set up including, i thought, CROW.  All I needed to do was to press switch A into the down position to activate it. Nowhere does it tell you that in the menu or, as far as I could see, in the manual. Just need a nice day for the maiden now,,,,,,

• 1 year later...
Only just found this thread. Sorry could have helped with FF9 crowing as I have been using it for a long time. Thought I had better update you all with a problem you may not have encountered yet.

Crow, or butterfly, operates with SW-A and 'throttle' stick movements. I set the stick position at which crow begins to operate as 80%. The trouble starts if you adjust elevator trim. Crow is not supposed to be active with the stick further forward than 80% but the elevator trim part of crow is.

As a pre-flight check I put crow full on and check the elevator moves down about - 3 degrees. It's adjustable from the crow menu or the elevator trim buttons. Think about that for a moment. What if you are flying normally and decide to add a bit of up trim but SW-A is ON. There is no normal elevator trim response because the "throttle stick" says no crow. The natural pilot action is to try more up trim.

The next action could be slam crow on DON'T! The cumulative up trim will been crowed in.

Thanks Gonzo.

The RCMF post suggests a method of using crow but retaining throttle on an electric glider. I doubt this will cure the cumulative elevator trim problem. In fact it could make it a lot more serious.

It took me 40 flights to realise the problem - an unintended tailslide on approach and a broken fuselage!

The only way of avoiding the problem is to treat normal, crow, start ofs and speed ofs as completely seperate flight phases which is not easy with so many flick switches and always to check the crow elevator trim offset on full crow at preflight.