Helicopter setup help

Rookie

Hello all, i have purchased Twister 440 and installed an AR6200 reciever in as well, i plugged everything in as it was in the 35MHz reciever, and had my training gear on. i then set it up as per the instuctions for the DX7.

I then took it to a huge private field with no obstacles......i gave it a little power to get it upto speed, then it started moving backwards, i idled throttle and repositioned it, then i spooled it up again and tried some forward stick, still no joy.
I then throttled up slowly and it started moving backwards once again, i tried right stick backwards with no difference to motion. Then turned it so the canopy was away from the wind....hoping this would show if it was due to the wind (only gentle wind), it strafed left and i attempted to strafe right into the movement, but it did not work so i idled throttle and the nose went up and rolled over onto rotors.

If anyone can help i would be greatful.

Ok well i got my helicopter out and attempted to disconnect my motor from the ESC, but the wires seem to be permenantly connected so i cant  do it, i was tempted to switch throttle hold on (0%), but dont want to chance having a rogue heli in my house.

Any advice greatly received

Well i managed to disconnect the motor from the ESC (thanks pete) and i have done a video recording of the rotor surfaces, hope it is clear what i am doing, at the beginning i am at idle throttle, then full, idle till i goto tail rotor (i had to explain that as i am nervous while talking haha).

Hope someone can help lol

Edited By Rookie on 14/11/2009 14:04:59

Hi Rookie
have you centred all of your servos ,if you have then disconnect the elevator servo arm and  move it to the centre of the servo movement. if you have done this then try moving the linkage in by screwing the connector in
by the looks from the video looks like the servo arm might just need moving

how many servos are there controling the swashplate  looks like 3 ? what ccpm setting have you programmed on the controller should be 180 deg

when you have finished and in idle the swashplate should be level and when you throttle up the swashplate should move level upwards which will give you positive pitch and lift.

rob

Edited By Robert Bromwich on 14/11/2009 14:22:01

just had another look at video and looks like you have settings wrong on controller
it should be set like this:

1. throttle up the swashplate should move level upwards

2. move control stick forward both back servos should move swashplate up and front should  move swashplate down

3. move control stick back both back servos should move swashplate down and front should move swashplate up

4. move control stick left, left  servo should move swashplate down and right one up ,front doesnt move up or down and oppisite for right stick movement

hope this helps

rob

i have this radio so
when you switch radio on hold down at the same time the two buttons (access)on the bottom left this will take you to model sellect mode ,then press scroll down once you should be in (swashplate types) you have a choose of 4 setting

1. normal - thats one servo for swashplate pitch movement(think this is what you have it on)

2. 2 servos 180 deg
3. 3 serovs 120 deg
4. 3 servos  90  deg

by what i can see on video you need number 3 (3 servos 120 deg) when you have done this press both buttons again

now try this u might have to reverse the servos to get them to move the right way

one more question have you flown helicopters before ?? i would quess only small 4 blade ones, if not then i would diffo join a local club as these thing can go wrong very quickly ?

rob

Edited By Robert Bromwich on 14/11/2009 15:14:59

Edited By Robert Bromwich on 14/11/2009 15:18:32

Sorry Rob, i forgot to say i have a DX6i (which is set to CCPM 120 deg), my apologies, i thought i had though.

P.s. I have had a Lama V3 for about 6 months and Phoenix sim for about 2 months.

P.p.s. i will be joining a club when i move home in about 6 weeks time (as i live in cornwall, but moving to bolton) and just want to get it setup ready for when i have moved.

Edited By Rookie on 14/11/2009 15:43:59

you said on first post about dx7 so thought you had one of them anyway goto here
 spekrum dx6i manual and goto page 89 and set it for 3 servos and try again
hopefully getting somewhere fingers crossed

you might have to plug one of the elevator servos into AUX 1 if you havent already done so

rob

Edited By Robert Bromwich on 14/11/2009 15:49:17

Yeah sorry about that, i thought i had mentioned my radio then i was meant to comment on setting up as per dx7 instructions.

It is already set up as CCPM 120 deg, but it says nothing about 3 servos.

The instructions state these as the settings for DX7...are they correct?

End point adjustments:

Throttle, Aile, elev, rudd, and Aux (L/H servo) are 100%-100%

Gear/gyro 60%-60%

Swash Plate Mix:

Aileron = +75%
Elevator = -75%
Pitch = -90%

there are more settings, but i think maybe these are the ones that may be effecting control.

Thanks for helping Rob...bet you wish you never replied now lol.

here a video not to good quality as just throw it on to show you

throttle and pitch controlled by throttle stick movement
then tilts swashplate left /right etc

i hope you can see what is happening and as u can se you dont need much movement on them for flight

rob

Edited By Robert Bromwich on 14/11/2009 16:48:01

I see what is happening in the video, i changed the swash plate mixes as suggested, but still getting the same movements as in the video.

I thought it might be the ESC in wrong slot, but if it were, the rotor's would not spool up as i increase the throttle....think i am lost in the setup now.

Rookie,
I'm a newbie to helis too and I'm having to go it alone - living in deepest France there aren't many clubs or heli-fliers around here. The video clearly shows you have some setup issues and I appreciate how difficult it will be for Rob to rectify the situation.
Can I recommend the videos on this site (you'll have to register with them), particularly CCPM Setup 1 and 2, as Finless Bob takes you through every stage from the beginning. They have been of enormous help to me, I have to say. Once you've got the basics firmly fixed in your mind  Rob will be able to help with your setting up.

Rob,
I hope you don't feel I'm treading on your toes here but these things are a whole new ball game and the potential risks (and cost!) make any help worthwhile.

Pete

one last try

put all your settings back to when u started and then try just reversing just the elevator servo

if that doesnt work then best idea goto your LHS they will/should be able to sort it out no problem
its very hard trying to figure out whats wrong without seing it face to face

rob

pete ; No problem just hopefully them videos can help if my last try doesnt.
like you said these helicopters are very dangeous and have already said about joining club etc

Edited By Robert Bromwich on 14/11/2009 18:08:55

I have to agree, Rob, it looked to me in the video that the ele servo needed reversing and then adjust in the swash mix for all movements. There's a possibility that the servos may not have been initially centred, too. The Finless vids cover all that ground.

Pete

Thank you very much guys, i shall try all of the above, i understand these things are hard to trouble shoot with one or two videos, but i really appreciate you both trying.

I'll let you know if any of it works, if not i shall try LHS and post results.

Thanks again.

You guys are worth your weight in gold, it was the Elevator Servo that needed to be returned to normal and now the plate moves down as throttle moves up and the rotors (start in a flat position when idle) move down progressively as throttle is applied.

I will still register with above mentioned  site and watch videos.

Thank you very much again guys.

the swashplate should move upwards when u move throttle up to give postive pitch so you might have to reverse the servos .the way yours is at the moment you will have negtive pitch when u throttle up.
only set it on digital if your using a digital servo which i guess your not as you have only swapped the RX so leave that well alone.

just make sure that if you have a quick go that the nose of the heli moves the way u move the alireon stick i.e left stick -nose left (tail right)

rob

Edited By Robert Bromwich on 14/11/2009 22:10:11

The video seems to show that when you move the cyclic (right) stick to the left, the head tilts to the left; to the right and the head tilts to the right, which means the servos are configured correctly. Now you've reversed the ele servo, pulling back on the cyclic should now tilt the head backwards.

If, when pushing the throttle/pitch stick forwards, the swashplate moves downwards, you need to go to the swash mix menu and change the pitch figure from -90 (according to your earlier post) to a + figure - Rob suggested +75 which is a good starter. This should get all the controls moving in the correct direction.

Pete