EDF Concorde chat

flytilbroke

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

I agree, just a AOA compromise to allow a model of the great concorde to take off, without flaps, drooping nose etc. Hats of to the builder. With limited choice of 90mm EDF, in fact any EDF (beyond the usual F5/20, F-16 etc), its great to see great diversity of aircraft flying.

Now, when will someone release an non foam 90mm EDF CNC kit or ARTF of  a Bucanner, Gnat, Jaguar, Alpha Jet or Jet Provost; now that would be great! I'm still waiting for phillip Noel to finish his Sea Vixen!

Well done to the builder.

I am not sure why people set the U/C to give an AOA for take off. Every modern jet simply uses the elevator to "rotate" to the required AOA once flying speed is achieved.
Without an airspeed indication it does require a bit of judgement.

ps
Concorde had no flaps, droops or anything else, it just relied on AOA and lots of power! See here

• 2 weeks later...
Delta EDF models require a high AoA to lift off as there is no prop wash like on a conventional prop driven plane. Just been chatting to JP from Jepe today about adding retracts to a Mirage and the result was to make a higher AoA on the nose when the model is flat on the ground... It assists in easier take off and less runway, less speed etc. The delta wing in aid becomes like a normal wing with say 10 degree flap for take off, it gets the balance between lift and drag!

• 2 years later...
Posted by Simon Chaddock on 03/12/2009 19:03:46:
I am not sure why people set the U/C to give an AOA for take off. Every modern jet simply uses the elevator to "rotate" to the required AOA once flying speed is achieved.
Without an airspeed indication it does require a bit of judgement.
ps
Concorde had no flaps, droops or anything else, it just relied on AOA and lots of power! See here

Correct the wing on Concorde developed no lift until the plane was rotated then of course four Rolls-Royce/Snecma Olympus 593 tuirbojets on reheat did the business.

Reheat was only used on take off and to transition to supersonic flight .75 to 1.75 Mach then Concorde supercruised at Mach 2+ across the oceans.

You have never lived until you have peed at Mach 2 AND watched the sun rise IN THE WEST as you leave NY on the evening flight.

As i totally hate reinventing the wheel so i want to learn how to build and fly a RC Model of Concorde I want to discuss/learn/share info on building and flying a RC Model Concorde. Version one being probably the

**LINK**

**LINK**

I will build that first before i try to build a 1/15 scale version. EDF for sure and maybe real turbo powered if i live that long.

I have been flying RC model for what seems like a million years but i have NOT flown anything for quite a number of years though and have a loft full of mostly gliders slope and thermal with a few I.C. models including a WOT4. I did have a Schulter IC Copter too sans gyro............OH MY talk about holding your breath.

I have never built or flown a foam model..............well maybe a foam B747 F/F Glider - probably hiding in the loft somewhere. Also i have never flown an electric model.

All my gear is many many years old so this will be a sorta clean start where i have to learn everything inc radios batteries electric motors and foamy models.

BIG BIG Concorde fan and my aim is to build a model that does High alpha approaches. I know how to do that on the real plane but have no idea how to achieve that in a model - how to get the speed right the sink rate right and hold the nose up AND make the threshold. I have yet to see any video of a model Concorde make a proper Concorde style approach even the most expensive model the German Brauer Concorde

**LINK**

NOW that IS the Business

MORE

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

I anticipate this (ME) will probably need gyro assistance maybe even on all three axis - now how do i rig up auto throttles and auto AoA hold..........mmmmmm

I am going to start by building a twin pusher version of Concorde as per that link above and I probably also build a model Concorde with the mid wing engine configuration. But while i am not going to go for a super scale model and a 3D model will do initially i find that hole in the wing and the missing bit of superstructure not to my liking. As i am now an ancient mariner i want to build the bigger Concorde so i can still fly it and see it as well as really enjoy the model when its not flying. There are at least two kits in planning - planned release dates late 2012 (not that i believe these dates) so buying one might be a sensible option

The Brauer one is just too silly for words cost wise around 8,000 USD even if it is an awesome model.

So all and every comment is welcome as to how i should approach this as well as recommendations for all the bits i will need to source.

Lottery Winners Route

**LINK**

Your last link hasn't worked for me by the way David. Achieving the same landing attitude in an RC model would be very difficult, you see all the models in the links come in flatter and then pull up just before touchdown. An RC model will also be more twitchy, but at that size it will be a very nice model. Have you been on Concorde by the way?

How I have not found this thread before! This will certainly be useful for my Concorde project when I can do it!

CS

Ohh, look at that!