after run oil

weasel

i am going to park up eight planes, for the winter season. and apply after run oil to the engines, what is the correct procedure ?. will i fill the carburetter and turn the engine over, or take the plug out and fill? due to the lack of space the models are standing on there nose, so through time the oil would run to the front bearing. will i have to occasionaly turn the engine over to circulate the oil around the engine..

any help would be greatly appreciated,  ... best regards  the weasel.....

Advert

Open throttle, put oil in carb, do not fill 'cos when when full and you turn the engine over to spread the oil it will spit some back. Do the same again. No need to remove glow plug. You can do so of course and put a few drips oil in plug hole and re-insert glow plug. The oil should actually "migrate" over the internal surfaces. Close throttle.

Ideally you would run the tank completely dry by running the engine up to full temperature & then allowing it to run the fuel out thus making sure there is none in the engine.....a few drops of after run in the carb (& the breather if its a 4 stroke) & then turn the motor over a few times to distribute the oil. Closing off the exhaust is also a good idea to prevent too much condensation...I use those squashy yellow cylinder type ear plugs...roll one up & shove it in the exhaust (don't forget to take it out when you want to start the motor!!). The above is good practice after every flying session in fact....

I would also remove the prop as storing them under pressure from the prop nut can compress & "spread" the hub slightly.

Also if storing them nose down for any length of time try not to rest them on the end of the crankshaft......this can cause "park marks" on the bearing surfaces of the ballraces (because the weight of the aircraft is concentrated on one spot of the bearings) which can cause them to fail rapidly in the spring.

Not engine related but if storing in a cold garage or such, remove the batteries & store in the house where its warmer & give them a gentle charge once a month. Ideally remove all the electronics (servos, Rx etc) to inside the house.

Why are you storing them though....you get some great flying days in the winter....get yer thermals on & get out there...you can't beat the feeling of methanol soaking into a propellor cut on a freezing cold finger...its what British aeromodelling is all about.....

Incidentally I like your Avatar....is it yours?? If you fly that in winter you'll know all about freezing extremities......I still miss mine!! Ah...G-MNTH where are you now!!!

hello.   flytilbroke, steve, and asla. thanks for your reply on the after run oil.  steve i am only parking up certain types,  yes there is really great flying days in the winter. i will be flying a cougar, the ripmax wot4, a seagull harrier, & a secadu 50 helo.  steve the flexwing is a blade 912,  i have flown lots of hours in the winter, perfect flying conditions smooth  air, and great visibility..  but yes i have had some cold flights........

thank again, weasel..........

hello, frank and phil.  i would like to think that i have not lost my extremities!. but i must have lost the plot, or amnesia is setting in fast. i went to the (shed-hangar) for a receiver got there and forgot what i came for.?   oh the old age!!  the lift doesn"t go to the top anymore... .... the weasel........