Which Kit for Newbie

Ian W

Hello everyone,
Im new here and reborn to the hobby.  I did dabble a bit 30 years ago, but then family commitments took over. Now the house is quiet again I want to try my hand at building and flying once again.  Although I would be reasonably confident with building, I would be scared stiff when learning to fly and obviously need to find a local club (Burton-on-Trent area) for help and support.   In the meantime can someone recommend a large scale model for a newbie?  My theory is the bigger (and slower) it is the easier it would be to see and control..... is there any truth in my theory?   I like the look of the Lysander or similar aircraft but really have no idea if the would suit, so any help and advice would be very welcome, cheers, Ian

Advert

Hi Ian and welcome. You will find lots friendly of help here. When I learnt to fly about 3 years ago I was so scared for the first 5 flight that I was shaking in my boots. Happily that soon passes and things get a bit  simpler. I would strongly recommend. Joining a club and you can find one here . I can not recommend a scale model to learn to fly (someone else may be able to). I would recommend a specific trainer model such as the Bushwacker for which you can get plans and kit parts from Myhobbystore.com.

Enjoy

Edited By Bruce Richards - Moderator on 27/11/2009 16:54:18

Hi and welcome from me too Ian. Depending on how rusty you are, and whether electric flight appeals ( and why wouldnt it ) If you can ignore the appearance and concentrate more on the practicality, then this is the model I always recommend to complete newbies. Its beauty is in its simplicity and almost complete indestructibility.

It also has the advantage of being slightly larger than many others ( easier to see ! ) and can fly in windier conditions too - yet is safe enough for the average large park - requiring a simple hand launch into the blue yonder.

Once you have a few hours under your belt with this one THEN move on to something nicer - the lysander I suggest is not a beginners model.

At around £50 including the motor and speed controller its excellent VFM IMO.

PS I have NO connection at all with flying wings.co.uk. other than owning 2 of their models ( the “Supafly” and the “Slipstream” soarer ) and being very satisfied with both.

Hi Bruce, Jonathan & Timbo.

Thank you for your kind advice and welcome.  I will certainly be investing in a simple (but big, so easier to see) trainer.  The V-Trainer certainly looks like a good idea for getting used to RC flight/crash landing etc. 

My real passion will be for building though, particularly bigger scale WWI & WWII type of aircraft.  Can anyone tell me if my theory of bigger is easier to see and fly is on the right lines?  I am looking forward to spending many hours locked away in the garage tinkering away building a nice accurate replica from yesteryear.

Ian,

Welcome.

Joining a Club is a must, or at least going along to somwhere near you and having a butchers at others.

I am dying to get into large scale models but that is something for the future, as i have found out since starting to fly at the start of this year. I am 100% convinced that if i had started with a large Scale model it would definitely be in pieces now!! To be honest, i don't think there is such a thing as a large scale aircraft for a newbie but i may be wrong, i normally am!!

I started, as many have, with a typical high wing IC trainer after lots of advice from guys on here. This was the greatest bit of advice in the world as i just wanted big and bold and it would have only ended up in disaster. I personally went for a Hangar 9 Alpha 40 mainly due to it being provided with pretty much everything needed to fly and you cant go wrong with it although there are many high wing trainers around these days, as i am sure there were 30 years ago.

Once i bought it, i put it together then took it to a local club to have the instructors check it over from tip to tail, and then flew it. The rest they say is history.
Get one of these and learn to fly again, whilst you build your dream scale machine. 

I have my second ever model locked away in the loft (Xmas pressie from missus) but after that it is going to be a large scale warbird or something similar.

Good luck.

Ross.

Edited By Ross Clarkson on 28/11/2009 00:30:20

Hi Ian,

I came back after 30 years 3 years ago..............taught myself solo to fly initially Helis, never done before, now able to loop/roll/3d, etc, only had two crashes, one a tail servo failure, the other just a few weeks ago, from stupidity! SO, this is a don't do what I did post!!!!

I suggest you go and sort a club out FIRST if that's where you will be flying, and take THEIR advice on models. You may well get some stick time on something before committing, and so save buying something that will only be transient.

For example, good though the FW V Trainer is, it does not have undercarriage, and some clubs insist on that so you'd be forced to change even to get solo there. Check FIRST mate!!!! (though if you are going it alone somewhere legal to fly then the VT is the best bar none!!!)

You don't say (and won't know till you try) how much you retain of what you did before and we don't know how competent you were, therefore any specific comment here we make is likely to be "off".

Go to a Club................................!!!

Just a thought concerning age.

In my experience a lot of older novices struggle a bit with a four channel trainer even when coached on a buddy lead. If you fit into this category Ian, I'd recommend a three channel model like a Junior 60. An ARTF version is available for £100 or so from Flair Models. It's expensive I know  but it will give you plenty of thinking time between manouevres and stick time in the air which will build your confidence. One down-side of a model like this is that it won't fly well in strong winds but then a beginner should not be flying if the wind is blowing the model around. Finally if your model survives the training period, you'll have a nice vintage model to chill out with as an experienced pilot

I note that the FW VT is also a three-channel model which supports my point.

Once you can fly one of these you can move on to the four channel trainer with confidence.

Happy Landings

David Davis
BMFA Approved Club Level Instructor

hello ian-i wouldn't even think about flying a junior 60--sure it's slow and forgiving-that is the problem....if you learn with a junior-that's all you'll be able to fly -honest......for when you try something else you'll not know what has hit you......far better learn on a 4 function model-ie...arising star...when you have cracked it...then go backward's and fly the like's of the jnr 60's..etc.........

ken anderson's thought's/recomendation's......blyth valley radio model club...f/w examiner....

Ian

Ken's response to my posting illustrates that if you ask ten different modellers you'll get ten different answers!

My post is based on the experience of teaching many elderly novices how to fly and they frequently have problems with a standard four channel ARTF trainer because they find it too fast and insufficiently self stabilising whereas a vintage model is basically a free flight model incorporating a great deal of inherent stability.

Ken's right when he implies that you will have to modify your technique when converting to a four-channel model but at least you'll have gained experience of radio controlled flight, and with experience comes confidence.

If you can manage an Arising Star fine, if you can't, I'm convinced that a three channel model is the way to go.  You pays your money...

For what it's worth, I find that the Irvine Tutor is the best of the ARTFs. Having a semi-symmetrical wing section, this model will fly in windy conditions.

David 

Thank you for all this great advice chaps, it really is appreciated and it gives me plenty of points to consider.  I will certainly be buying some sort of trainer to begin with and wouldn’t dream of trying to fly anything but a trainer until my flying becomes proficient enough or without proper adult supervision

>>

I will buy some kind of large scale war bird too though, not to fly but to build over the winter months, building is where I will get most enjoyment I think.  Like most of you say though, a club seems to be my first priority, so that’s where I'll start and see where we can go from there.>>

>>

Thanks again for all the advice; I have obviously joined a great community >>

Having learnt on the irvine tutor 40, i too would recommend it, but i would go electric these days as my trust in glow engines is wavering. I think a nice balance should be struck between the bouncy foamy v trainer and the non bouncy ic powered 40 size trainers. What about the multiplex mentor? it combines what is great about electric models and 40 size trainers, is plenty big enough and is aerobatic too so you don't have to move onto a low winger too soon. Don't go for a junior 60 if you intend to fly a warbird or ww1, they're far too easy and aren't bouncy or challenging or aerobatic. there's a far more modern approach to flying that is often overlooked by nostalgic flyers who just like flying the same free flight designs on rc that they flew in the 50s. This is not a criticism to vintage flyers, but none of the vintage flyers i meet are confident in their flying ability so wouldn't make great warbird pilots.

Any ideas about the specific kit/plan built model you want to build, ian?

Another good electric trainer is the Eflite apprentice. Very impressive and it's foam too.

I also agree that vintage models are easy to fly buit they're useful as ab initio trainers for greybeards returning to the hobby in later life or for those who try it for the first time when they've retired. Once they've mastered three channels they can go on to something more demanding. 

Younger novices seem to have no trouble with a standard ARTF.

Hi Jonathan,  Thanks for the info, I do like the sound of electric to be honest, would save lugging fuel etc around I guess, although at this stage I dont know anything about electrics, ie; what flight time you get etc.

I dont have a particular kit/plan in mind yet, but I do like the nostalgia of WWI & WWII aircraft.  I am not looking for anything too racey, just a nice plodder really.   I will probably get most enjoyment out of building something which is authentic in looks etc.  If you can suggest anything please do, I would value your opinions.  Thanks

Well i'm building a brian taylor fw 190 at the moment (see Watch Out Spitfires). Brian also did plans for a lot of other WW2 aircraft (spit, hurri, corsair, avenger, zero, me109, dauntless and loads more) so there's plenty of desings to choose from. I think traplet now distribute the BT range, or you can get them from bob holman in america.

Another option is the topflite kits which are not so scale and heavier i think (designed in america rather than by a british model engineer ). They are still quite popular here though as they're in kit format.

I'd say don't get one of these as you first build though if you haven't built before as they're way too complex. Try something a bit simpler like an RCM&E free plan or a more basic funfighter kit. Can't really help you with ww1 stuff as i have no experience in this field. I'd suggest you look at balsa usa kits at pegasus models though for inspiration.

Learn to master at least a trainer and low wing aerobat before flying the ww1/2 models as they are (whether yu like it or not) racey, compared to what you'll usually find at your local club field. If you're seriously considering an electric trainer, timbo is your man although i can give some ideas for a mentor if you'd like.

Just to add my 2p.
I tried the quick route and started by trying to fly very fast foamies (home-builds and others - some EDF) and it was a disaster.
Eventually bought an Easystar and it was the best thing I ever did re flying. I've clocked up dozens of hours flying, never crashed once - it's big, docile, forgiving but gets you stick-time and hence confidence. (It's a real pleasure too).
I also got a V-Wing trainer from Flying Wings and, well, IMHO, it's horrible. Built absolutely to instructions it needs what seems kilos of weight in the nose even with the battery cut in as far forward as possible, it's horribly slow - almost unflyable - because of the weight.
Very disappointed.
If you get the chance to fly an Easystar, do, you won't be disappointed.
After you've built confidence then the rest will be a pleasure and some of the pre-flight jitters will go... 

A local mentor would be great if anyone knows of one?  Im in Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire, so if there is a willing volunteer out there give me a shout.  I promise to behave if your willing to let me watch and learn!

ps, the competition sound slike a fun idea, I'll get my thinking cap on

Hi Ian,
It's called the Multiplex Easystar - I think there's only one. Here's a link to the manufacturers site..Easystar.
I bought the RR kit i.e. just ready to stick the receiver into.
Assembly is ridiculously easy - double sided tape already on the tail just pull off the backing and stick the tail on (tip - thread the control rods into the control horns BEFORE sticking - my cousin did it the other way around and it makes it quite difficult ).
To give you an idea of how forgiving this plane is, I've handed the Tx over to both my cousins, neither of whom have flown an RC plane before and they were fine with it - and one of them now has one!!
You'll also see how many people have modded these planes to carry cameras or stuck brushless motors on - check out YouTube. I know I sound like a salesman for Multiplex but it is a lovely plane to fly... 
Tomorrow I'm taking the paint to mine (she deserves a bit of colour...)