Which Kit for Newbie

Ian W

Working on the basis you are going to build something whilst learning to fly using a "bog standard" trainer, I can recommend any of the Flair "scout" series of WWI planes.

Traditional build, excellent flying characteristics and the opportunity to add as much or little scale detail as you might want.

Advert

Thanks for the link Tony.  My first venture into RC was with the allied brewery club (which was also Ind Coope at one time I think) some 30yrs ago.  There is also a club in Burton but sadly its membership is full at the moment
 Im on the list, so I will just have to wait my turn.

Hi Andy,
Your bang on mate, I will buy a simple trainer of some kind whilst learning.  Then I can take my time & build something special for the future, either from kit or plan.  All recommendations are welcome, the more advice I receive/read/listen too the better as far as im concerned.

Hi Ian,
A good trainer is the flair cub. I agree with Andy that a flair scout is a good follow up
what about a hannibal, it's a sort of fokker E111.........BIG, and slow.
Also, it's a good idea to stick with one manufacturer, you get to know their system

ernie

Thanks for the further suggestions chaps.  I like to look of the flair models, especially the Hannibal.  They have some nice Bi planes too; one review I found said they were nice and slow and would suit a novice or Sunday flyer?  Any thoughts on Bi-planes?

The wot trainer also looks ideal....oh decisions decisions lol.  It’s like being a kid in a sweet shop all over again, so much choice, but with more pocket money this time around 

Edited By Ian W on 28/11/2009 20:06:20

Edited By Ian W on 28/11/2009 20:07:26

Posted by Ian W on 28/11/2009 20:05:48:
Thanks for the further suggestions chaps.  I like to look of the flair models, especially the Hannibal.  They have some nice Bi planes too; one review I found said they were nice and slow and would suit a novice or Sunday flyer?  Any thoughts on Bi-planes?

The wot trainer also looks ideal....oh decisions decisions lol.  It’s like being a kid in a sweet shop all over again, so much choice, but with more pocket money this time around 

Edited By Ian W on 28/11/2009 20:06:20

Edited By Ian W on 28/11/2009 20:07:26

The greatest hobby in the world. Have fun Ian

I built the DVII (build blog on the forum), and it's a stunner to fly.  The Hannibal is pretty big, the Magnatilla is a more convenient, practical size. 

The problem with the DVII is that as a biplane it takes some shifting and setting up at the field.  Add to the fact that you really really don't want to crash something you put so much time and effort (let alone money) into and it only comes out on perfect flying days when I have the full day at the field- ie not very often.  Having said that, I love it. 

Flair biplanes are nice models but I wouldn't recommend one as a first model. I've flown the Pupeteer, and Baronette as well as the Magnatilla. With the Pupeteer you have to use the rudder a lot and the Baronette is a little beast on the ground so not recommended for a beginner. I haven't flown the Fokker or the Legionaire so can't comment but think about it, if you crash a biplane you're likely to have to repair two sets of wings rather than one.

My advice is to start off with a high winged monoplane, three or four channels you choose, then go for something a bit faster and more aerobatic such as a WOT 4 or Acrowot before moving on to a biplane or WW2 warplane. You might get away with a Flair Magnatilla as a trainer if you've flown before but it lacks a dihedral so will not be as stable as normal trainer.

As for WW2 stuff Spitfires are supposed to be difficult to land owing to tip stalling caused by the pointed wing-tips especially in the smaller sizes. Again, I've never owned a Spitfire so can't comment from experience. The ME109, FW190, Harvard and Mustang all have square-cut wing tips so shouldn't exhibit this problem.

DB Sport & Scale offer the Hurricane and Spitire as builder's kits, Mick Reeves Models offer the Spitfire in several sizes, the Hurricane and an FW 190 which is said to be a beautiful flier, like a pattern ship.

Well it looks like I will be buying/building the Flair Cub to start of with.  It sounds like a decent size so I should be able to see it in the sky, from what I remember orientation was a bit of a problem in the beginning so size will help me I hope.  I can have fun building it and concentrate on learning the basics before trying to get to adventurous.

Thanks once again for the advice chaps, it really is appreciated.

Hi Ian, 
It's a great choice. I learned to fly on one, then built another..There is a wee problem that can easily be rectified when you are building. Both mine eventually broke at the structure around the cockpit, so it might be worthwhile having a look at reinforcing things
Maybe making the wing struts functional would also help

ernie