Starting putting my Wot 4 ARTF together!

Bob Moore

Hi Malcom,

I'm pretty sure the wing brace should be symmetrical, and I must admit I didn't even check.  It looked so when I dry assembled it and there is no mention of it in the assembly instructions?  My wing certainly looks straight when you look along the leading edge, ie no dihedral.  Hope you manage to sort it. 

Bob

Happy New Year to everyone!

Advert

Hi Shaun,

Yes that's what i'm doing. The wing fit looks OK. When i thought about it, If it was a dihedral brace; with a dihedral at the root wing ribs it would have had a big gap.

SNOW!!
You're lucky to be off. I'm back to work tomorrow.  Humbug.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guys,

Re WOT4. Are you all still buzzing about them, or has the novelty worn off after a few weeks. I was hoping to set it up with a West 36 and some decent servo's and use it to learn aerobatic's. I have had a good read of your build blogs and any advice would be moore than welcome.

Cheers
                                                                                 Colin

Hi Colin,

novelty hasn't worn off for me!  Weather has just been too bad to get out and fly.

Even worse news yesterday was that the flying field is now in the hands of a different farmer and we have lost it.  No blooming place to fly now, we are looking for a new site.  Anyone have any ideas near Brixham or Paignton please?

Bob

Just finished mine today. Overall a very nice ARTF of higher quality than normal. Bits I did not like though were the supplied aileron pushrods and clevises... you could screw the clevise on and then pull it straight off the thread without a great deal of force.

The two ply pieces to raise the elevator servo a tad were not included ( I think they were meant to be included as kit parts)

I still "re-glued" as much as I could out of habit from building  other ARTFs !

Changed the tank for a (same size) SLEC 11oz (orange) one which fits prefectly and is square as per the formers! Just had to open a small hole for the throttle linkage in one former.

Well done!  Only flown my once so far, but it flew beautifully first time.
I agree about the poor clevis's, mine also had very slack threads and easily pulled off.  I replaced them with soldered on metal ones.
Didn't have the rudder servo problem though as I used a snake instead of the push pull wire supplied.

Have fun!

Well Guys,

Had to get one,  All built and ready to go, just need the weather to warm up, so cold up here (scotland) were are all having problems getting engines to start and run so not worth risking a maiden. Kit went together really well. only things i changed was the threaded rod on the rudder and the spinner for an alloy one. The mounting blocks for the rudder servo were missing but most off us would have something suitable laying around to do the job. Overall the strongest artf i have put together  with a good quality cowl, looks very smart. I have put a West 36t1 with a Gennisis pipe smaller than the recomended engine range but lighter than most and with more power. There is a couple off lads at our club running these engine's and you can't fail to be impressed by the performance so fingers cross she should be wicked.

i will keep you posted

colin

• 3 weeks later...
Flown mine now and it is really good. Didn't go mad with the engine (ASP 46). I intend it to be the foil with which to attempt my B cert.
I am considering fitting a throttle pipe from Just Engines, one of their universal 32/53 versions.
Has anyone done this in this artf model??? 
From what they have told me the stand off measurement from the exhaust flange to the centre line of the pipe is 50mm, but given the diameter of the pipe I reckon it will foul the bottom of the fuz.
Any previous on this anyone?