Idea for an unusual scale build

Romeo Whisky

I'm afraid I'm no builder, but I was scanning some old slides into the PC recently and came upon this which I photographed (probably at Sywell) in about 1962.  It is a Comper CLA7 Swift.

Actually I never knew what it was until today when I looked it up on the CAA website, and then I thought what a wonderful scale build it might be for some of you clever balsa-bashers out there.  It was built in 1931 and was very fast for its day (140 knots).  I've done some homework for you too - here are some useful links:-

It is worth Googling too as there even some plans out there!

Hope someone finds this interesting.

Edited By Romeo Whisky on 08/12/2009 17:40:06

Advert

I scratch built a 54" version of this aircraft about 20 years ago. The undercarriage was in an awkward position and made take-offs difficult - it would nose over at the drop of a hat. It hand launched very easily and flew really well. It could spin like nothing on earth and would recover instantly. It could flat turn on rudder and elevator in spite of there being no dihedral on the wing. At the time I fancied building a bigger version but lost interest and went on to do other things. Sold it on eventually.
Bob