Throttle Reversal Problems

Snorbitz

A friend has recently rebuilt his Shark 450 and after much "tinkering around" he's got to a stage where from what i can see everything works correctly ie the collective/left/right/fwd/back etc but the problem is that the motor won't run up unless we reverse ch3 which has the desired effect on the motor but makes the collective work in reverse throwing the whole thing into a mess. My fixed wing brain can't understand heli's so a few pointers would be much appreciated. Cheers 

Advert

Which radio do you have Paul? Futaba always need the throttle reversing when used with an ESC.

I've not flown helis for many years but I would have thought that as you advance the throttle stick you want the motor to start & the collective to increase the pitch (+ve). By reversing the throttle channel I assume the throttle now works correctly, ie advancing the throttle increases the motor speed. You should be able to get the collective servo to move in the "right" way either by reversing it or changing the "sense" with which it operates (ie + or - values) I would have thought. If full throttle is giving you -ve pitch & zero throttle is giving you maximun +ve pitch then I would have thought that reversing the collective channel would do the trick...

Theres nothing silly going on wiith the throttle/pitch curves is there??

(test done with the motor discon'd) If the channel reversing swicthes are adjusted so that all 3 servo's move up together when the throttle is affectively increased that is i believe the correct way for it to work, please correct me if i'm wrong!!, but if the motor was connected at this time it would fail to work at all in this direction. If i then reverse ch3 the swash pulls down as throttle increases and the throttle operation is reversed.....ie all the way down is flat out, and all the way up is off and trust me it does work in that direction! (so that i would say is also normal) Its as if the ESC isn't recieving the throttle signal when the reversing swicth is in the correct operating position. I've never heard of this before though?

Changing the channel 3 reverse switch will change the throttle direction, and will also instruct the clever computer in the trannie to move all three (usually) swash servos in the opposite direction.

According to my Align manual, you first get the motor operating correctly -- i.e. speeding up as you open the throttle stick.  Then, if the swash is moving the wrong way (i.e. going down as the motor speed goes up), you "adjust the travel value (+/-) of SWASH CH6" on the transmitter to make it move the opposite way.

I remember playing around with mine for quite a while before everything worked in the right direction.  Because of the computer mixing, reversing channels doesn't always do exactly what you expect.

Hi Gents
It would seem that the Esky EK5 servo's that replaced the original Art-Tech AS-100 work in the opposite direction, thats why the servo's all now go down and not up when throttle is applied. Just reversing the channels just confuses the mix. Has anyone else come across this before? Is it easy to reverse the servo operation by changing the wiring?

When you have had your AHHHHHHH moment.  I would suggest you check his supplied manual. If he hasn't still got it it should be available online. That should take you through the TX setup. PS make sure the top right switch is set to normal. There shouldn't be a problem as the Art-Tech TXs are pre programmed.

Al

Edited By Alan B on 10/12/2009 11:42:43

ok i've read the book front to back and can't find anything to help....the only thing which i've just remembered is that the switch that changes the model from AEROPLANE to V,TAIL to NORMAL HELICOPTER to CCPM HELICOPTER goes from C (for CCPM HELICOPTER) to C with a small 1 in the middle....am i getting warmer?

Possibly - its so long since I used that type of TX.  You may need to set the ESC ie Full throttle on the TX - then connect the battery on the heli (I would loosen off the motor back off the main gear drive so the blades cant turn - just in case) then put the throttle to off after a couple of seconds. Let the ESC do its sequence - then disconnect the heli battery then turn off the TX.  Turn on the TX and try again.

Good luck!