The Vulcan

Tony Read 2

Over the weekend I picked up a ‘Vulcan’, a pre-war design cabin type model with a wide fuselage and an 8 foot wingspan. The gentleman that sold it to me lives a couple of miles away and is in his eighties. He told me that over twenty years ago he moved to Spain for a while and wanted something to do, so he built the Vulcan. I believe this was his first (and last) large scale model, although from what he was saying I think he dabbled in tissue and stick rubber powered models in his youth. He never flew it. He did say that he taxied it once though! The engine is a replica OS K6 spark ignition job, but did not come with its original box or stand, no worries though as this baby will fly! There is no throttle on the K6 – it’s all or nothing. You should be able to fly for 6 to 8 minutes but a kill switch has been fitted if you want to stop the engine once airborne.

The Vulcan is extremely well built and is resplendent in red and silver painted nylon (I think). I will post some photographs when I get time. He did show me a photo of his model in an old edition of ‘Model World’.

The funny thing is that there is a model flying field less than half a mile from his front door and he never knew. Says a lot for modern silencers! I will take him over when I get the Vulcan airworthy so that he can see his creation fly.

I have no experience with spark engines, but looking on the interweb some people say that a resistor between the coil and the spark plug is necessary to reduce radio interference. Would this be correct?

BTW are spares available for the K6? Whilst is has had only minutes running time during its life the plastic fuel ‘tank’ has had a knock and is dented. It still holds liquid but I would like to get a replacement just in case. Will probably try to fit a silencer as well!

Edited By Tony Read 2 on 14/12/2009 10:26:55

Advert

The Vulcan was designed by DA Russell who was the editor of "The Aeromodeller" over sixty years ago. I looked for the plan without finding it in a couple of old plans handbooks which I still have dating from the Sixties only to find it illustrated in the current edition of the plans handbook listed on page 17 as PET 206. You'll probably also find it on-line at; www.myhobbystore.com.

It's a large high wing monoplane which should fly with great presence like a Precedent T240 or, dare I say it, a Senior Telemaster

I've no experience of petrol engines but Just Engines should be able to help and I believe that interference is less of a problem with 2.4gHz equipment.

You would expect MyHobbyStore to have the Plans Handbook but there seems to be no mention of it on their website.  Frankly their website is pathetic and it is very difficult to find items you know exist.  They must lose lots of sales because 'search' often does not reveal the item which is actually there.   All those marvellous plans from the past are there but people cannot find them and therefore buy!
Even the link to them on this page does not work.....pathetic.

Edited By kc on 15/12/2009 11:30:26

I bought mine in WH Smiths but I've just noticed that there is a note at the bottom stating, "Retailer display until September 2007!" How time flies!

When I was last in the Whitchurch Model Shop I thought I noticed some on display there. The plans handbook is now entitled the "Collectors' Plans Special," and it also mentioned that it was published "in association with RCM&E" so this site ought to be able to help!

Whitchurch Models number is 01948 667766.