August Edition CAP 21 Plans

Hi Peter,

It took a little time but the two Caps are now almost ready, i am working on the wings at the moment. Must put the servo's and the pushrods in for the ailerons . The time to build is at the moment minimal.

I also must make two manifolds for the mufflers, but hope to have them ready before the flying season ends.

If you like to see something nice from ouwer Club look at www.mvsb.nl (avondvliegen) (onze vliegtuigen) and more but all is in Dutch.

With kind regeards.

Jo van Weert

Sint Oedenrode The Netherlands.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,  A question for Peter:

You mentioned taking many contruction pictures that the magazine did not use.  I have just pick up building my wings again and need a little visual help understanding how all the gubbins fits in the wing servo bays.

Do you have any photos of this area and if so are you able to email me so I can see exactly how and where the servos are mounted, what type of servo control horns are used and how the servo bay has been constructed.  If you can please message me for my email. Or post them on the thread!

Its not that your plans arent detailed enough - more that I'm not confident enough in my interpretation of them.  Dont wanna screw things up after all my hard work!

Also, what size aileron control horns should be used? Radio Active Large or Small?

Thanks!

Hi there Howard. Here are some pictures. Unfortunately they uploaded back to front but never mind.

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/27074/brackets.jpg

These are the Radio Active Servo brackets that I use to mount the servo.

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/27074/servo.jpg

This is the servo mounted in the centre section of the wing on the brackets.

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/27074/Horn.jpg

I use SLEC Neat Horns but any long horn can be used.

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/27074/bellcranks.jpg

These are the bvellcranks that I use out in the wing.

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/27074/Aileron_control.TIF

THis shows how the servo is conntect to the push rods..

I hope that this clarifies the set up., If not feel free to ask again.

Peter,

Thanks for the pics, I think they have helped me re-evaluate some of my interpretations of the plans.

Firstly for some reason I had decided there were going to be two servos - one for each aileron.  Clearly not the case as its not necessary!

I have placed my mini servo in half of the bay servo bay (I have only built one wing so far - must be the slowest builder ever!) and it looks to me as if the servo arm sits proud of the wing profile - into the fuselage belly.

Is this correct - I cannot see from the top down image you posted?

Also, how is the wings leading edge affixed to the fuselage?  I can see the wing bolts to hold the trailing edge in but there appears to be nothing at the front? 

The servo mounting plate should be low enough that the servo is below the top of the wing. It should not be fittedin until the wings are joined.

If you look at R-1 on the plan you will see it has a slot in it. When the two R-1s are joined with R-1as this slot forms a hole into whichc you glue the dowel that locates in F-2.

Hope this helps.

Hi Peter,

Im starting to build my cap 21 again after a long lay off due to health, work and exams phew glad thats all over/

My question is how to build the wings with a accurate taper over the wing span? I went to build the wing flat to the building board then realised I wasn,t sure if this was the correct method.

Thanks

Paul

Hello Peter,

just finishing my electric version of the CAP21. I am pleased to say the construction from the plan has gone very well. My only concern is the C of G.  I am assuming this is (next to the fuselage), on measuring up is about 74mm from the wings leading edge ?  

I alway like to be clear on this point for obvious reasons.

Thanks  Alan

• 4 months later...
Just got round to finishing mine after more than a year of building, so many other projects I have a question on the CofG.
I gather that as usual the Cof G marked on the plans is the unfueled CofG? How much leeway is there on this? I've also built mine electric and fully kitted out I'm probably at about the 78mm mark.

4500mah 4s lipo, 80A Speedo, 900W motor. Top deck now removable for the battery, two wing servos instead of a single, Rudder/elevator servos are fitted down at the rear. Comes out at almost exactly 5lb. The model just needs its pilot and the last of the decals to arrive then its off for the test flight

Edited By Mike Henderson on 06/06/2009 19:35:53

Yes, CG is unfueled as you say. I found that the location on the plan is ideal. You could probably move it back a little but be cautious. Futher forward would make it more stable.

Pity about the extra 13 ounces but probably won't affect performance too much. may make knife edge a bit harder.