August Edition CAP 21 Plans

Peter

Nothing too exiting on the first flight,loops and rolls and generally getting a feel for the model.I have SC25 fitted but i think a 32/36 may be in order before  trying any advanced aerobatics.

I have a SC52 ready for the bigger version,like yourself I reckon these motors are great value for money.

As soon as the big one hit the board i'll let you know.

Any advance  info on the new designs or will we have to wait and see?.

Regards

Jim

I would definitely suggest a .32 for the standard size CAP 21 for the Knife edge but I was doing aerobatics on half throttle yesterday.

The next RCM&E plan is styled on a FW 190 but with an in line engine. It is the same concept as Pete Russells 334G from the 50s but not a copy, just the same styling.

The other is another of my "based on Racers, not sure who will get that yet.

Both subject to flight tests of course.

i am so pleased i spotted this thread i have built the fusealage and i am now building the first wing ! its been a great project and helped the time pass recovering from my moto x injuries im new to this hobby but totaly smitten!

iv picked up alot of usefull tips here and the build has given me the expierene to repair my crashed Arising Star!

tho im a raw novice it has been a straight fwd build upto now and very enjoyable at that!Tho its going to have to be a ornament till im expierenced enuff to fly it lol!

Thanks Paul

Hi Paul

Well done on tackling your first plan. I am sure that once you can fly you will love the CAP. While it is a good low wing model I suggest using lower control throws for your first flights and have someone standing by.

Hope that you soon recover from your crash. Crashing models is much less painful.

Peter

Im sure i will she is a beutiful plane and you do get atached to them especially when you have built it yourself!

Yes crashing planes is defo less painfull and the hobby is pretty light on the wallet compared to motox! i totaly smitten with it just need to get my sc46 running properly and it will be even better!

Its nice to know the designer is available for questions and other exierenced flyers and builders to!

What a great hobby this is!

Paul

In response to a few earlier comments re plans and the fact that they are often spread across two pages, or the tail end is cut off and placed elsewhere on the plan I have a suggestion.

Before building the Miss Lizzy from Peter Miller's plan I used a wide-format scanner to scan the plans into a computer then used software to re-attach the tail to the fuselage. The new plan with tail attached was then printed on a plotter at full size.

This not only gives a complete plan but also means you build on a copy and your originals are kept safe, clean and out of harm's way.

I've used the same technique to re-scale other plans to suit various motors of different sizes.

Most local Councils have this sort of equipment equipment for handling development plans. You may also find a lot of large manufacturers and heavy industries do too. If you have any friends in the right places you may be able to get this done. Alternatively, copy shops might be able to help.

Hope this helps...

Shaun / Peter

I must own up,the colour scheme was influenced by the Gemini bipe in this months mag.

Shaun,just had a look at yours on the gallery,nice one ,your colour scheme appears to make the model look very sleek.

Being retired and totally   "in to it" i can turn out one a month as long as i keep the war dept. (her indoors) happy,

regards

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Peter

New one looks the biz, your name should now be   Peter and the Wolf.

How did the test flight go ?

I was looking through some old mags and came across one from 1983 with a guy standing in front of a Steen Skybolt holding amodel of an Evans Volksplane,ring any bells.

JIm Carss 

Hi Jim

Werewolf flew well even though the engine was sick. It has another engine in it now. very smooth, very aerobatic, great glide. Flying shots on the gallery now.

Yes, I was a lot younger in those days. The builder of the Skybolt sold it and has now designed and built his own two seat aerobatic biplane. Look in my other album.

Peter,

I've started the enlarged version of the CAP 21 and the canopy could be a problem,Steve davis is on the case and trying to source a suitable size canopy for it.

I've fitted a SC 32 to CAP  Junior ,what a difference, the engine is not ' run in ' yet and the performance  is magic,goes like stink.

Nice to hear the wolf went well and hope to see it soon.

I have always said that the CAP should have a .32 to really make her perform. Essential for knife edge.

Steve does a very big CAP 21 canopy but that is huge.

Steve tells me that he has been selling masses and masses of CAP canopies, twelve a week since it came out.

Nice to know that people are building it and enjoying it.

Martin,

Thanks for the info,I'll check it out,I've had Peter's plan enlarged by 20% which gives  a wingspan of 64" and the canopy seems to be 'in between sizes'.

If i can't locate a canopy it looks like i'm building the first open cockpit Cap 21,how does a two seater side by side version appeal.

regards

Jim