Wanted- Emulsion Paint-Which one

Erfolg

I want to paint a model with scalish camouflage colours.

The model has come pre-painted (seems oil based gloss). Unfortunately the colours are so obviously wrong as to jar.

I have considered respraying  with Humbrol colours. Commonly called Dunkel Grun or dark green, Helle Blau or light blue. I have considered repainting the light green, gloss, with Lecht grun.

It was during these deliberations and the difficulty of getting to a model shop, I started to think that the use of Emulsion Tester Pots may work.

Has anyone experience of these products, if so did it work.

Whose tester pot titles come close to the Luftwaffe colours.

Erfolg

Advert

I've used them on many occasions.  The B&Q testers give excellent coverage and you can choose from their charts or they will scan and mix to a colour sample if required - try to provide a decent sized sample if you want it scanned.

As supplied they dry to a nice matt finish but I rather like the result of using acrylic varnish supplied for glass clothing (I use SkinCrylic from Falcon) which leaves a slightly glossy but supremely effective fuel proof finish - overnight!  ...Rather reminiscent of the finish of most WW2 aircraft in museums/flying today.

I have thinned them a little with water and sprayed them but you need a reasonably large spray nozzle to avoid clogging.  However, brushing leaves a good finish as well. 

Being water based, there are no fumes and brushes/spray equipment just wash out . You will see a marked change in colour when they dry so don't be unduly worried if the mix in the tin seems too dark. They also seem quite a light finish as all the water evaporates.

I would (and do) thoroughly recommend them - and at £2.09p for 250ml of custom matched paint they are a real bargain. 

Edited By Martin Harris on 24/12/2009 16:13:07

• 3 weeks later...