FlyCamOne part 3 of 3

And finally.....
Next morning dawned even better, even stronger wind, and north easterly too –just right for another trip to the Orme! I had decided to try the camera mounted on my slope soaring SAS “Wildthing” – newly acquired a few months earlier as my first slope soarer ever – I know, I know - lives 15 mins from the Gt Orme, and never been sloping shame on him.
The lack of vibration from any power train should go some way to improving the image quality.
So flask filled, off we set again.
48 mins after throwing caution to the considerable wind, it was time to land. I had completed this first flight of the day with the camera in “ahead mode”. I now simply turned off the camera to save the clip to disk, and then, after removing it from its mirror holder, turned it back on again, and stuck it back on the nose. Streaking skyward in the good strong lift, I quickly flipped her inverted for the aerial view.
37 mins later, having been “out to sea” rolled, looped, and generally made the onboard camera operator completely sick, it was time to bring her in. I chickened out of an Inverted landing, fearing the little camera might not approve – besides, the COG had definitely altered slightly with the addition of the camera, and holding inverted throughout almost all the flight, sometimes with the plane completely out of view below the slope edge, was, shall we say…… challenging!
I “arrived” at the back of slope, and recovered the camera, powered down, and had a well deserved cup of hot coffee and a sticky bun - ooh yummy!
Back home, the files were loaded into the PC, and windows media player fired up.
Yippee – much better :) - In fact not a bad first attempt if I say so myself.
Time now to try my hand at editing in “movie maker” courtesy of Microsoft windows XP.
Both clips were edited crudely down to a size that UTube would accept, and uploading commenced.
A link is included here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCJOvsJ8328 in order for you to judge for yourself. PS whilst your there...checkout the brilliant "teddy in flight" video too !
But be kind, remember this is all new to me, and the purpose was to just assess the camera’s ability.

I have since conducted further testing to positively identify the cause of the distortion in the first clip done on the powered plane. Extensive tests in the workshop prove almost positively that vibration is the culprit NOT radio interference. Furthermore, strapping the unit tightly to the airframe worsens things, but hey – I didn’t fancy losing it into the foaming briny !
In summary I would say the FlyCamOne is great value for money.
Be careful how and what you mount it to, - a glider is definitely the best idea.
It certainly didn’t cope too well on my JP “Twister Bell” helicopter.
I imagine that if you really wanted to use it on a Heli, it might be disappointing, but then that’s your own fault for trying to fly a bloomin’ eggbeater :-) :-)
Specifications follow…….
SIZE 85 X 35 X 10 mm
WEIGHT 24 GRAMS
VIDEO 25 FPS @ 320 X 250 pixel resolution
FUNCTIONS Stills, Audio, Video, Card-reader, Memory stick, Webcam
POWER Integral lithium cell @ 170 mAh
CARD SLOT SD / MMC
INTERFACE USB 1.1

Advert

Good review mate.

www.actioncameras.co.uk is a good site for cams. I know alot of my mates in motocross use them but then they are mounted on the head and so the body soaks up the vibrations. Would be interesting to see what sort of mounting is used on cars etc to soak up the vibration.

How big was your file for the video that was not intended for youtube?

In case you didnt find this posting over in general section...here is a link to the last video of the orme session with the camera this time mounted on the "aerial view" perspective.
Here is a last one….. promise :-)
Remember ( more excuses coming up ) It was on top of the nose, so the whole flight is inverted, and also remember its a sloper - so you have to stay in the lift area as well, which means the occasional fast dive/loop/roll whatever to get back in the lift. Checkout the middle bit where the plane can be "seen" "nodding" as it is just about to stall....the COG had moved slightly with the cam on board and therefore flying it for the 30 odd minutes inverted was a bit challenging....
Edited for UTube down to around 3 mins
Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZA4zRIcGG0

TY Marc, and welcome back....we all see the error of our ways, and return eventually you know :)
Lee - yes you are very welcome to come and join us, camping or itherwise :)
It is not actually holidays,( early retirement and living here means one long holiday ) but wifey has to have a big op in early August, so I will be nursing her for a while.

Nice one, your wife too eh ? Thought it was just mine that hated me :)
One thing to watch for ( not sure if I mentioned this in the "review" ) is the internal memory is volatile IE if you switch the camera OFF, you lose any video you may have captured. Leaving it to just automatically enter "stand by" will not let this happen. Of course, for any real useful video length you will need a MM or SD card, which is NON volatile.

TY for your comments and wishes Allan. Not sure I am about to inflict any more "home movies" on the forum, but I am just about to "publish" an article on converting your IC powered planes and transmitters to LiPo power ...if you are interested.

• 3 months later...

Shaun

I too have a FC1 and couple of things to note are

1) dont point the cam through prop, Makes for a messy vid

2) Mount the cam on foam or something similar that will absorb the vibrations

3) make sure the way your mounting it doesn't switch it back off ( ask me why I check)

4 ) Don't leave it switched on if your not using it ( the small lipo can be destroyed if fully discharged.

5) Slow smooth flying makes for a good vid, Loops rolls and furious flying makes for allot of horizon flashing.

I think this should help

Best R's

Lee

Hi SC -  as Lee says really.... and watch out for the mirror - easily damaged - especially the rubber fixing,  the tiny on/off switch has broken on mine too,  and remeber when using the mirror - you get a mirror image !! Overall though, excellent value gizmo- i beleive there is a new version just released.

The rubber fixings are already a goner. I bought this to see how I got on, before possibly upgrading to the new version.

Lee, is the finish on a DVD good enough?

Mounting it is a worry. I don't really want a piece of velcro on every model I use it on, so I will have to think up a truely detachable, concealed, anti vibration system instead.