Gloster G40 RBC Kits

TonyS

Advert

Hi Tony,

Sorry was on holiday so could not reply to your question.
Is it clear and have you sorted out the problem with the wing, or can I help to make things clear.

Richard,

With most of the designs the trailing edge is as on your sketch, but not with the RBC design's.
Rob (mr RBC ) always go's for the trailing edge on top of the lower sheeting and the top sheeting glued agains the trailing edge.
To be honest its's not my choice but RBC's but must admit its a good option if the trailing edge is with a rounded shape.

Ton

Hi Ton,
Hope that you had a good holiday.
I've sorted the issue with the wing - apparently building it in the Rob or RBC way.
Having to work hard to salvage parts from the old wing set as the kit of parts that Rob supplied was strictly wings only and didn't include the formers that are glued to the wings underneath to continue the fuselage shape. Or the wing tips. All of this was glued and glassed to the original set so not easy to separate and clean up for re-use.
This is one of the difficulties with not getting a scale plan-set of parts which would have made it a relatively simple job of making my own replacements....
Never mind, it'll be worth it in the end..... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Christian,

strange coincidence you asking but after a year of inactivity I actually got around to painting the fuselage last week. I'm away now for two weeks so no progress until I return but all that's left is to finish the painting ( I really hate that bit and wish I could submit out!) then fit a launching hook and it'll be done.

its quite heavy with the 8s set up and 2s x4 battery set-up so I reckon without flaps this will come in very very hot!!surprise

Are you building one?

T

Tony,

I built one about 6 years ago, but never really properly finished, although it did fly (on 6S). Sometimes I start a build and never get reound to finishing it. I sold it on to transfer the guts to a Tamjets F-16.

I'm now in the game for another 90mm jet, and its a toss us between the HK L-59 or Hawk and Aeronaut Vampire (used to have one of those too) and a Gloster. I quite fancy the Gloster, but TBH i can get a nice composite ARF L-59 or Hawk and some nice oleo braked retracts to fit for about the same price as the Gloster kit.

What i do like about kits its the ability to modify and built according to your own set up. I would try and build light and power by a Jepe 6S fan, which should keep the weight down. Its also a usefully small airframe for packing into the car, when you split the fuse in half.

In short, I'm undecided and after some inspiration. Ever link i've followed on different forum build logs, seem to end with the Gloster never finished. I'm not sure that's a good sign?

Chris

• 1 year later...

Gloster g40Not a lot of info on this kit, only a few YouTube videos (mostly converted to P20 turbine).

This is my second kit of this aircraft. Although about 7 years ago since my last build, it all came flooding back and thus only took a month to build, glass and get ready for first primer coat.

More to keep Ton happy than anything, since he designed the kit ( and it is very well designed- a laser cut jigsaw puzzle), here's a few shots of her to date.

I'm keeping it light, just aileron and elevator ( 16g MG servos) and either bungee or dolly take offs, power is by the new Wemotec 11 bladed Midi Evo fan, 100 A ESC and 2x 3S 4000mah Lipos. Weighing about 4 lbs with over 1200 watts of power should make for jet like performance, even without using all throttle stick travel ( which will also reduce A drawn and thus increase duration).

aiming for first primer coat this weekend! followed by more sanding! more sanding, then more painting.

RBC Kits Gloster .2A bit more progress on the RBC Kits Gloster G40 designed by Ton. Glassed and painted, major decals applied and some panel lines done. I decided to build a scale looking take off dolly, but I check it works first before added any more work to this. Pilot, although not exactly period, is really good quality. It was a HM forces RAF pilots from a few years ago. Cut his legs off, but I bought 2 complete with all fast jet clothing etc on Ebay for 16 quid.

RBC Kits Gloster .1

RBC kits Gloster G40 cockpit

BTW the 11 blade Wemotec Midi Evo fan was tested yesterday in the airframe. It's very quiet for an EDF and very jet sounding. I also noticed that that front intake is like a 1500 watt vacuum cleaner and nearly sucked in my plastic bag of parts - I'll have to watch that! Don,t want to hover up the grass at the field or worse, a small animal!

Posted by Reno Racer on 27/05/2014 17:38:46:

BTW the 11 blade Wemotec Midi Evo fan was tested yesterday in the airframe. It's very quiet for an EDF and very jet sounding. I also noticed that that front intake is like a 1500 watt vacuum cleaner and nearly sucked in my plastic bag of parts - I'll have to watch that! Don,t want to hover up the grass at the field or worse, a small animal!

LOL, reminds me of the time in the very early days when I was doing some test run ups of my EDF Sabre in the garage one winter

Model firmly strapped to workmate bench - check /

Wattmeter and batteries etc all fixed firmly to bench - check /

No loose FOD anywhere near exhaust - check /

Dogs safely locked in kitchen - check /

OK - lets fire this beast up....... Yeeeeeeooooooowwwwww - CLUNK.

Wooly pullover sucked straight up the sabre snout !! oo err missusdevil

Edited By Tim Mackey on 27/05/2014 18:03:37

• 1 year later...

Hi Christian and Tony.

Last week I picked up an G40 kit at Rob's place and did extensive search and reads on the WWW. Unfortunately there is not much to read but this thread I enjoyed reading very much! Been browsing in this forum and I am impressed by the projects build here which made me register an new account.

Not sure to proceed building in this thread or start a new one. What I am curious about is if you made progress on your projects?

Kind regards,

Erik (Netherlands)

• 4 years later...

I have to say that I’m struggling in understanding where the time has gone. I’ve looked back over this thread and it’s been 10 years since I first started it - and the -lane is only just being finished!! Where the heck did those years go? More importantly why on Earth didn’t I finish this plane sooner?!

I can’t imagine it but maybe there are still folks on the forum that participated in the discussion back then? If so, I’d love to hear from you.

Anyway, most importantly, I finished the plane save for gluing the control surfaces in (not sure why I left those unglued but hey, my memory’s not that good any more....) and securing the batteries in somehow. We can then launch this weighty missile. I will link to a video if / when the action takes place.

signing back in after a long absence.

T