Glider events 2010

Advert

Lets keep our eye on the forecast on the run up to the event this week.

If it stays true on the Easterlies then I will recommend we cancel the meet on the Orme and wait for the next one 14th/15th August.  But we can make that call Friday or Saturday, as we know, forecasters can be wrong and weather patterns can change drastically within a 6 day period!!

fingers crossed all for a swing to SW or NW 15-20 mph!!

Edited By Phil Cooke on 31/05/2010 11:59:39

Yeh, I'm with Phil on this one...wind forecasting changes daily, and ebven on the day they can be wrong! I am communicating with a couple of other locals who fly "the pier" slope in an easterly, and although the lift can be excellent, landiings are not that easy...or forgiving, so its usually reserved for foamies and non treasured stuff. Not sure that the PSS guys will fancy trashing their scale beauties on the rocks...or spot landing them on the pier !

Posted by David Gilder on 31/05/2010 12:29:28:
And as if by magic the forecast has just changed!! ROFLMAO!!   Its now WESTERLY but lightish winds.    At least we are now half way to an event!!!  Timbo... Looks like I will have to maiden my models without you as I fly mode 2!!!   Never mind!!!    

Mode 2 on gliders is no problem for me David...maidened several for folk over the years. However, if of course a mode 2 pilot is
1) available and
2) willing and
3) trustworthy
.......then thats a better option .

I think we are go for launch on the Sunday Houston.
Forecast has been changing all day, but as of now, XC weather predicts around 12MPH NW around noon - dropping to 9 or so later, -at least they are not saying rain -  as they were an hour or so back.
If it stays like that ( and TBH it could do anything ) then I guess the lighter stuff should be OK.
I know Phil wanted to post some last minute info here, so watch this space throughout tomorrow .....and the PSSA website of course

OK gents - Ive been watching the forecast all week and since Wednesday, once tomorrows PSSA event date was within the 5 day forecast details, Ive recorded the wind direction and speed as forecast on 3 of my most trusted (?) sites, XC Weather, BBC Weather and the Met Office.  Click to view full size...

In summary with winds forecast from 9 to 13mph I think Sunday will be flyable on the NW face, admittedly the windspeed is a little light for our heavier PSS models, but with 9 to 13mph forecast at Valley and for the town of Llandudno I would expect 12 to 15mph at least up on the Orme face.  The NW face works well as we know, so the event is on! 

I've updated the PSSA Website to reflect the same.

I've been told this morning that the A55 is slow with some roadworks on the approach to St Asaph so please plan accordingly.  10am start at the tank track car park. Fingers crossed for a great day!!  Phil Cooke.

nice one - I've had half a dozen phone calls from other modellers who are also now confirmed as travelling, so it looks like it's all coming together!  Here's hoping for a day as good as those we enjoyed throughout last season!    Remember this?...

Edited By Phil Cooke on 05/06/2010 13:51:06

well  guys and galls i have just come back from the pssa meet and to say i had a good day would be an understatment,loads of models and pilots there, wind a bit light at times in the morn but we flew non stop all day,cant wait for the next one ,

Just arrived home after a great day - weather wasnt the best it could have been but as usual we made the most of it and had FUN...which is the point really
There will be a "report" done soon, and we will feature it on the forum front page articles section.. JB was there snapping away all day, so should be some good photos too
Big thanks to all who came, and especially the brave ones who threw off some very nice stuff to the mercy of the irish sea. The very low cloud base claimed my hawk - but a days repair work to the nose area should see her back in the air.

Nice to meet up with Chris Perkins and David Gilder  from the forum...see you on the next one

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 06/06/2010 20:01:06

Nice one Gents!  I'm so glad to hear you got some good flying in and I look forward to seeing the pictures and write up Timbo!  Steve Kemp and Simon Cocker have also promised me some photos for the PSSA website, just to record our first 2010 event taking place.  Sorry to have missed it...

Next meet (a 2 day event this time I hope!)
14th and 15th August 2010 - PSS Fly for Fun - 10am meet

Phil (currently sat in the hotel bar in Texas )

Edited By Phil Cooke on 07/06/2010 03:04:03

Phil..... get back to work!
I will be doing a short piece about the day for the forum front page in the next couple of days - supplemented by some great photos from John Bowman. If you want to use any of this material for the PSSA website, then feel free to do so.
PM me regarding using JBs pictures.
Tim...currently sat at home in the grey and windless weather - with a coffee.

• 2 weeks later...
What is that you say?  Planning to be in the US next weekend?  Welllll what perfect timing!  Be sure to bring your glider! 

June 26, 27 - Eastern Soaring League in NY

Come one, come all to the Eastern Soaring League thermal duration contest to be held at the Long Island Silent Flyers field at Syosset, LI, NY. This will be a man on man TD contest flown off winches. Pilots will be launched in groups of 4 or 5, with about 30 seconds between pilots.

We already have 25 pilots registered and have had as many as 40 pilots in the past. We have Novice, Sportsman and Expert classes. You can fly any glider that can be launched off a winch. That ranges from an Easy Glider to a 5M moldie.

For all you newer glider pilots, you can register as a Novice pilot and you will only fly with other Novice pilots. And Novice Pilots fly FREE!

Information on the contest can be found here:
http://www.flyesl.com/contest_regist...tail.asp?cid=9

Registration is here:
http://www.flyesl.com/contest_regist...list.asp?cid=9

This is my home field so I am proud to invite you all to come fly.

For you GPS owners, use 25 Southwoods Road, Syosset NY in order to find the field. All others go to www.mapquest and put in that address to get directions.

See you there!

Hotels and Camping in the Area
http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=318

And how lucky you are that you had to be in the States during our contest.   :D

Edited By Ed Anderson on 18/06/2010 22:23:15

• 1 month later...
Good evening all!
Quick reminder that next weekend 14th/15th August the PSSA are running the second of the 3 weekend PSS Fly-Ins planned for the 2010 season up on the Great Orme, Llandudno, N. Wales.

10am start each day at the 'Tank track' car park.

For more info check out the PSSA website Events Page...

Fingers crossed for a good weekend, weather wise, and a good turn-out!  

Phil Cooke
Webmaster - PSSAOnline.co.uk

OK weve been studying the forecast all week and we've made a decision.

PSSA meet is ON tomorrow SATURDAY 14th with Northerly winds forecast 15-20mph so should be fine - despite us not being on our most favoured slope.  More details on the PSSA site if you need them;

Sadly the forecast for Sunday 15th is poor, with less wind and from the East.  As such we have agreed to cancel the Sunday meet, so make the most of tomorrow!!

Tim - on behalf of all who attend - thanks for the kind invitation to all slopers to join the Aerotow meet at Rhyl MFC as contingency.  (see link)

See you on the rock 10am to those who are travelling!  
Phil Cooke