Building the Little Toot

Hi All ,
Run in my laser 90 yesterday,now fitted in toot,just the struts to finish of & fit radio,
been having trouble getting red 3" spinner so fitted a 3"ally temp as it weighs 4 ozs including 1/4" ally spacer i had to machine up to fit on back as laser was slightly to long to fit in cowling,balance seems spot on.
will keep you posted.

Cheers Barry.

Advert

Barry,

Just waiting for some  two pack laquer to fuel proof the cowl and spats and then she's ready for the sky.

I have sign making company on my doorstep that does decals etc.

I'll keep you informed.

Jim 

Edited By Jim Carss on 17/06/2010 16:52:39

Hi Guys,

Apologies for the lack of correspondance. I've been having a sort of fugue. The holiday was fabulous. Weather, of course, superb though not totally windless which, really, is good. Also good was the accommodation, the grub and the companionship. I heartily recommend it and am provisionally booked for next Spring.

After my assessment flight I had eleven lessons of three flights each and did the take off on every one. My first landing on flight three and made about twenty five sub sequent landings. Arrived home very tired but very chuffed. Gloriuos weather here that week and got five more flights in with Bill, getting used to my own model again which is much more sensitive than the school one. Also, Bill is in great demand on good flying days and if I am lucky I might get two flights in.

But since then, Bill has been suffering at the hands of the NHS. Nothing life threatening. But I and the others have had to sit and watch this glorious weather pass us by. I had enough money left to go shopping and now have everything but the covering material for the Toot. I shall use Profilm or whatever it is called. I got my Dural for the u/c and some ready for my Lysander eventually.  But when I have felt like building  I've been working on the Puss Moth. But even that has upset me. I have tried everywhere to get some information on colour schemes and markings relative to the times when it was built
, with little satisfaction. It is a story in itself. I had some photos of restored ones from the internet. 'Air liners' but I've mislaid them. And the site isn't listing them any more. So it has been 'fed up' time.

So there it is, hopefully the summer is not over.

Cheers. Alan.

Hi All,

Had to leave toot  for a few days as workshop is in roof,even with velux window open the heat is just to much.

Have had fun fitting fuel tank as its had to go below fibreglassed tank compartment owing to carb on laser being at top end of cyl barrel & when used inverted in was below bottom of tank.bonus side i now have nice compartment for receiver,bat pack & remote filler.

Hopefully about 1 more day to finish when it cools down,so will keep flying my 20 year old panic bipe i just dug out of the roof.

Cheers barry.

Barry / Alan.

Spats and cowl are now coated with fuel proof laquer and shes ready to go,local decal company making two Little Toot signs to fit below cockpit and if I can find a suitable 1/4 scale pilot she's done.

Had quite a job to purchase the two pack laquer,local motor factors would not sell it to me for  health and safety reasons as it produces isocyanates and it requires ventilated breathing equipment when sprayed.
LMS now does spray cans of fuel proofer and the H/S warning is on the can so its dodgy stuff and its £10 a can.

I'll post the latest pic of Toot later today if the rain stops.

Cheers
Jim 

Hi Jim and Barry,

i bought the Hangar 9 1/4 scale sport pilot. Have a look, it's the one with the yellow bone dome. Just under six quid !!

What are you guys doing about rigging ? Terry Wilding said he went the proper tensioning route but thats a fiddle for a less than super scale model.

By the way, the fugue is over. Bill is back with us, so more flying. The Moth is progressing nicely and I will be thinking of covering quite soon, and I have rediscovered the Puss Moth site so am downloading the pics to my hard drive

Cheers. Alan.

Hi Jim,

Well done mate, sounds well worth the wait.

Hope to try mine sometime next week,am converting a golf trolley at the moment to put plane & flight box on as our field it a hike across about 4 football pitches & thats after getting out of the car park.not the best of planes to carry with 1 hand.

Cheers 

Barry

• 4 weeks later...
Hi to all

I have a fellow club member who has bought a little toot secondhand
It flys so well I am thinking of building one

Confused about plan numbers

spoke to a laser cutting company who had recently cut from philip kents 57 " plan but custtomer complained that bitts were wrong size and gave up building it

Spoke to P Kent and did agree that if origional plan he built from was right then others built from his origional plans should also be ok

So whos plan should I purchase has any one purchase the RM143 with the pre cut parts

Look forward to any repliy
Bert 

Hi to all

I have a fellow club member who has bought a little toot secondhand
It flys so well I am thinking of building one

Confused about plan numbers

spoke to a laser cutting company who had recently cut from philip kents 57 " plan but custtomer complained that bitts were wrong size and gave up building it

Spoke to P Kent and did agree that if origional plan he built from was right then others built from his origional plans should also be ok

So whos plan should I purchase has any one purchase the RM143 with the pre cut parts

Look forward to any repliy
Bert 

Hi Jim
thanks for swift repliy

spoke to hobby store earlyer today they could not give me the scale or size of plane the only referance is to the rc1266 on their website

I now know that this is the wrong one that I would like to build

So it will be the rm143 for me

Its a shame that hobby store could not give awnsers to my questions about what parts they can supply only a rough gues

I dont realy want to go the full hog of rib and former cuting as I would like to make swift progress when I get started

Paul

Hi Bob
yes I would agree

I had wondered as there are different plans avalible for same scale toot could it be possible that the guy I have mentioned in previous post had parts cut for say a phil kent toot but he may have had plan by Dennis T

As I was told that company who did cutting work do not suply plans so making it is possible to order parts for same size and scale plane but actualy tying to line them up against a diferent plan who knows

It is possible that if cutting company had an old plan scanned into cad and stored for many years things could go wrong if plan has been up revised and modified.

Also having dabbled a verry little in cnc milling some times strange things happen with programs when passing drawings through the different programs to build up the G code file that all cnc machines need to opperate from

One interesting point is that phil kent has told me that the cowl supplied from hobby stores is an exact fit to his vesion of toot

If I was going to have parts lasser cut I would send plans that I would use to build from and insist that my own plan was scanned in and used

this way parts cut would match my plan if they didnt I would lay blame at lasser cutting company 

I did ask hobby store what would happen if the pre cut parts they can supply didnt fit didnt get a good responce

Bert

Bert,

I have just spent the last 30 mins. looking for our plan on my hobby store and it aint there no more,
HOWEVER-------- if one looks on plans hardware under cowls and canopies its there with plan RM 143 at £14-95 plus the cowl and spats.

The plans dept need to pull their socks up methinks .

Bob,

Did you ever get the Eros built ??

JIm 

right, after a fight with the MyHobbyStore search index (Werewolf is a scale bipe?), their RM143Toot is the Dennis Tapsfield one, at £99 for the parts.  What that includes is anybodies guess.  The cowl is £21.45 but it doesn't actually say whether it's made of fibreglass or old ice-cream cones.
Traplet's MW2549 Pshaw Hawk Toot is 54" and by Phil Kent @ 1/4 scale, their MW2762 is also 1/4 scale and by Phil Kent but is 57".
Belair list pk-litootpk as a Phil Kent's 56" 1/4 scale Lil Toot wood parts kit for £105.
Then in the X-list there's RC1266 Meyer Lil toot by John Grewcook, a 51" version, which I have a very old copy of.
The interesting thing on the Grewcook plan is that it shows the spat outline for the Pshaw hawk version - anyone know if that really was the only difference?

Am I living in the past, is £100 for a set of ribs and formers a lot of money for little wood, or are these laser cut part kits good value?  

edit - it took me 20 minutes to search that lot out, meantime Jim beat me to it on the question of what 'parts' means!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 24/07/2010 19:54:34

Just saw your earlier question Jim - the Eros project ground to a halt.  I completed the fuselage and cowl and cut out all the ribs and wing tongues, then I made the mistake of opening up the Marvic Models Joker kit that I picked up cheapish.

The Joker has flown, for those that don't recognise the name it's a lovely smooth flying aerobatic model from the 80s designed by ex-aerobatics champion Wofgang Matt.  it's proving very nice with an MVVS90 humming away up front on a Genesis tuned pipe.

I've also been flying my Don Stothers designed Jungmeister, but it's negative G performance is disappointing with it's flat bottom wing section and excessive weight.   The Grewcook plan Toot has a semi-symetrical section that looks a better proposition for sports scale aeros.  I will get back to the Eros now the Joker is out of the way, but I like to have a future project planned to look forward to while working on the current one.  The Toot plan has been hiding in the wardrobe for the best part of twenty years, about the time it took to eventually complete the Jungmeister