Mode Survey - Discussion Thread

Advert

Hi All,

OK as promised I'll start the big "count-up" now as the 15th has passed!

Actually I've already done most of the data - just the last handful to do. I will post the basic final analysis on a new thread on Saturday night. More detailled examinations will follow over the next couple of days.

A big "Thank You" to everyone who took part

BEB 

Posted by Bill Fleming on 15/01/2010 20:29:49:
Fascinating stuff.  But how did Mode 1 get to be given 1, i.e. the first Mode.  When Modes started, (when dual sticks were invented)  was Mode 2 considered secondary (inferior!) in some way?
Bill
PS I don't want to start a Mode war; just like to understand the history.

Mode 1 was considered the correct way to fly proportional because most flyers were converting from reed equipment,which had aileron on the right hand side of the transmitter,and elevator on the left.Bear in mind that these were seperate on-off-on swithes,not control sticks as now in use.Radio then was for the very rich.A set of Kraft radio gear was the same price as a new Mini-van in the early '60's (yes,really).As radio became cheaper,round about the early '70's,it became a lot more afforable and more popular.A new generation of radio flyers came about,mainly self-taught,and they assumed that the controls should be the same as a full-size aircraft,and as they progressed,they taught others to fly the same way.Mode 2 was considered 2nd best for quite a while,and there were many arguments in the model press.Personally,I think there's no difference to the flying quality,they're equally as good,or bad,it's down to the mode you were taught on........Mal

Seeing those early McGregor sets reminds me that there were several attempts to find the 'perfect' transmitter layout. A company called 'Flight-Link' from Hounslow,also 'Kraft', from the USA had a system whereby aileron/elevater were on one stick,and rudder control was by twisting the same stick.Throttle was on a seperate control,at the side of the transmitter......................Mal.

As a "newbie" who started flying RC in June last year, the club I joined is essentially "old school" mode 1. The instructors are both Mode 1. Some club members who were taught elsewhere have usually followed their Instructor preference, either 1 or 2. Very few have actually changed mode from 1 to 2 or 2 to 1.  I started out with Win 98 Microsoft flight sim with the joystick in the right hand although I am left handed. For the RC flight sim I initially used mode 3 but found some difficulty in this. As I am being taught mode 1, this is what I now fly. Mode 2 appears to be easier with single stick control in the main [ailerons and elevator] as during initial training I rarely use the throttle and never the rudder - yet! Regardless of the mode, flying requires the use and co-ordination of both hands doing different things - just like playing the piano or guitar. I was useless at both of them but did like a bit of drumming!  With the crap weather in the North I have not flown since September but keep practising on the flight sim and building of course. I aint no spring chicken at 60+ so games consoles are not for me. I do change modes on the sim trying to find the best combination for me. Mode 1 is winning up to now but it is close.

Regards
Bill R.

I was advised that the Mode 2 was the natural way to fly, by my brother from the midlands. Imagine my surprise to find that at my local club in Yorkshire everyone is using mode1. I was the advised in the LMS that I should get a Sim in Mode 1 because I would have problems finding an instructor at the flying ground. This is the case, so now I am an A certficate Mode 1 flyer. All the Heli pilots use Mode2. This may account for some of the excess numbers using Mode 2.

• 2 weeks later...
"  A company called 'Flight-Link' from Hounslow,also 'Kraft', from the USA had a system whereby aileron/elevater were on one stick,and rudder control was by twisting the same stick.Throttle was on a seperate control,at the side of the transmitter..............""

I seem to remember seeing a handicaped chap flying with a similar "everything on one stick - setup" 

Possibly a clubmate of mine who was featured in one of the magazines a few years ago.  Brian lost a leg and the use of his right arm in a motorcycle accident many decades ago and took up RC flying 7 years or so ago at well over 60.  Not only has he learnt to fly using a modified transmitter as described by John but also builds from scratch!  Apparently he spends as much time making jigs and aids to work one handed as he does building.

Edited By Martin Harris on 30/01/2010 23:35:26

• 2 weeks later...
My first RC model was an own design in 1955 for which I built the TX and RX too.  The bang bang rudder worked on a push button on a lead from the TX which stood on the ground.  Modes didn't come into it, nor did instruction as I was the only one who had a radio model.  It flew, but the radio was very unreliable, you had to tweak variable capacitors to make it work at all, and I went back to boats where unreliable radio was less of a problem.

After a 32 year gap, where I flew full size in the RAF, I came back to RC via a Futaba set which came with mode 2 installed, and which I didn't question.  Indeed right hand on elevator and ailerons, and left on rudder and throttle seemed quite natural.  Radio which worked all the time and proportional controls seemed like a dream. 

I built a rudder/elevator electric glider and flew it fairly well with no instruction at all.  I then built a Wot 4 which was a bridge too far for self teaching, apart from using solarfilm.  After repairing it, I designed a simple trainer which has survived 10 years of self tuition unscathed.  Actually there has been the occasional bit of instruction, usually on the lines of "don't do that" most of which has been helpful, but not always polite.  I don't break many models any more, and when I do it's stupidity rather than lack of flying skill that's to blame.  Taking off with the wrong model selected on the TX being a favourite.  I keep meaning to get a grip and at least take the BMFA  "A" test.  In fact I'm going to have to this year as both my clubs are making it a prerequisite for solo flying on club sites.

The survey results are very interesting, but don't explain why there are multi modes available at all.  Manufacturers have  responded to market demand which comes from the fliers.  In VHS v Betamax type wars, usually one version takes over in the end, even if it is not always the best solution.  I can understand that novices joining a club will be guided down a favourite local route, but is there any real advantage of one mode over another?  Some stars can fly both 1 and 2 equally well, but they can also cope with taking off with the ailerons reversed too!