DX7 Charger

James40

Picked up my DX7 today but theres nothing I can do with it as it's flat as a pancake.

Now I have a charger for a DX6i but this is the wrong voltage being only 6v where the DX7 is 9.6v so it won't do anything.

I have a charger for a Li-ion Polymer battery that has two outputs for a 7.4v and 11.1v battery. If I make a lead up with the correct polarity is it safe to use type of charger on the TX battery ?

Other option is to use the Futaba charger and make a lead to switch the polarity.

What possesed Spektrum to reverse the polarity is beyond me, more expense.

Advert

Actually they havent "reversed" the polarity James, they merely use the same configuration as JR have always done - and who is to say they were wrong and Futaba et al were right.
As for your dilema, no you cant charge a NiMH with a Lithium charger
I would use your Futaba charger with a polarity reversing lead .
Welcome to the world of non-standardisation in the modelling game

LOL, thanks Timbo.  I'll knock a lead together until the correct charger arrives next week.  It's surprising that they don't include a charger in the UK kits, I guess they just remove the US 110v style charger and don't bother replacing it but charge us extra for that pleasure.

LOL your right mate!  However, in fairness, the very vast majority of people these days have a "multicharger" and use that to charge all their equipment. I know for instance, I havent used a "wall wart" style slow charger on anything for literally around 10 years!
Incidentally, NiMhs ( which your DX7 is almost certain to have installed ) do not like slow charging anyway, and will be far better if charged used a decent auto charger which senses exactly the right time to cut off the juice after the cooking is done.
These days, this type of all round charger can be had for a few pounds, and frankly I cant see why anyone would buy any other type

hello james40...i by mistake charged my tx nimh with my charger set to lipo..............the result was a wrecked tx back and battery cover...and a 3 week old battery that resembled a string of sausages.total cost £40.00...and a red face when i told the rest of my so called friends at our field........

ken anderson...........

Oh dear Ken, an expensive mistake.

Well the plot thickens:

The TX battery is at 10v indicated by my volt meter yet the TX is totally dead ?  Surely the TX should be working at that voltage ?

I'm seriously getting disheartened with this at the moment, every single thing I buy or do is going wrong or broken.

My Mrs just said "maybe you should take up another hobby" thanks for the advice dear !

Has anyone got any sensible advice on why this brand new TX isn't working or a simple "Stupid James" mistake I've made in removing it from the box and switching it on ?

Nothing, no beeps, no screen ?

I've checked the battery is plugged in correctly.

Odd. Assuming your volt meter is not telling porkies, then yes it should still at least switch on at 10V as the standard setting on the unit for the LV alarm is 9V. having said that it is a bit low, have you any way of trying a fully charged battery on it?
Once you have plugged the battery in, can you take a reading acoss the connector terminals in case its dropping voltage under the load ( small as it is )

It's a Fluke 80 series Timbo so hopefully it's not lieing to me, that was the voltage across the pins on the battery but not under load, it's that tiny little white connector so difficult to get to when connected up.

What voltage does it usually operate at, I read it was a 9.6V  battery so surely at 10.4v indicated it should at least switch on and give me a low voltage warning ?

Ah well, I'll give Slough RC a call tomorrow and see what they say, it'll probably be yet another return for Horizon Hobby,  they've had a 100% success rate in returns so far, thats 100% of the Horrizon gear I've bought has been returned for one reason or another but at least they are usually quick at replacing things.

Managed to get on the plug with the small probes, the result is pretty much the same, 10.1v this morning on the battery, connect it up and still 10.1v, switch it on and still 10.1v.

You would expect at least a tiny voltage drop with the unit switched on but there isn't anything so I'm guessing this is a dud DX7 ?

I called Slough RC this morning and he was surprised about it , they are contacting Horizon although I've already fired an email off to them so I guess I will receive a replacement next week if we ever thaw out ?

I find this so frustrating, everything RC I've received via courrier in the last two months has turned up damaged or not working, two model kits, 1 computer I purchased to fly an RC simulator and now the DX7.
One model kit box had obviously been mishandled, the end of the box was chrushed !!  It makes you wonder exactly what these courrier guys are doing with the packages?

I should have known the DX7 wouldn't work, it's been sat in a deliver depot for 3 days because they won't deliver in the snow, I had to drive to collect it myself and join the queue of people that had driven in to do the same, strange how we could all make it to the depot but the delivery guys can't make it out !

Gosh, I think I'm starting to rant here, I'd better stop now

Timbo,
Reference your comment about using an intelligent charger. If it is of the type that shuts down when voltage peaks, it will only work via the transmitter charging socket if the Tx does not include a series diode.  I was under the impression that Spektrum has such a series diode so to use  a peak detect charger, the battery can only be charged externally to the Tx.  My JRDSX9 and the Tx that comes with the Blade CX2 helicopter certainly have such diodes fitted.

I do recollect sometime ago another club member with a new DSX7 doing something with a wrong charger and apparently blew an internal fuse somewhere that stopped the Tx working.

Both my Dx7 and Dx6i charge up just fine using the standard input jack - I use an IC1010B "intelligent" charger just fine - DX7 has Lipo, and DX6i has Enerloop NiMhs. To be perfectly honest, I dont remeber whether I bridged the blocking diode or not - I dont recall doing so.
There is a fuse fitted yes - as in most Tx units.

Roger,

It's not had a charger plugged into it, it was dead when it came out of the box. I only asked about a charger because it was dead and I thought the battery was flat.

I do now have a correct charger (there is no such thing as an original charger because Spektrum in their wisdom don't supply one) for when I receive a working DX7.

I'm reluctant top open the case as it may invalidate any warranty on the TX, I'll let the shop deal with it.

Thanks for the advice though, if it ever happens agin I'll know where to look.

• 2 weeks later...