Modeltec Dragon Lady

... Just you try to install an aileron servo in the cavity supplied as indicated in the instructions and then try to fit the wing to the fuselage...
The servo and the torque rods foul the throttle and tail feather servos.

I ended up cutting a couple of holes in the bottom of each wing and installing two servos (one per wing) underneath.

Aside from that and the fact that there is no indication of where the thrust line is, thus telling you where to bilt on your engine mount... I foolishly used the hole in the firewall as an indication and I reckon I have the engine 1/4" to 3/8" too low... The model as it comes out of the box is BEAUTIFUL...

Now, to work out how to fit the bottom plate under the nose so that the undercart will be robust enough.

Cheers,

Hugh

Advert

do you have any pictures???   this is a model we keep getting mythered for,  we have tried to drop it from the range from mod tech quite a few times,  but it still seems to be immensly popular,  never had this complaint,    is it the yellow and white one?   with the scollpoed trim,  bit geebee ish???

Hi, now mine is a very pleasing white and dark red.

As I say, I cannot fault the quality otherwise...

Maybe I just put the Servo tray in entirely the wrong place, but the instuctions were not clear on the loaction and where I did put it seemed to be logical... Mind you, I should have test fitted as well...  You'd think I had learned at least that much from my static modelling experiences.

Cheers,

Hugh

it was changed and completely updated quite a while ago,  now, provision is made for 2 aileron servos,       what you have a is a very very early version,   the new one is yellow and white, and is a very pretty affair,  the kit you have bears no relation to our current lines    how long have you had it?  and if recent, where did you get it from?  

I purchased it just before X-mas.
A mob in Dandenong (Melbourne, Australia) who sourced it from Tates in Geelong.
I was not aware that there had even been an update... If I had known, I would have demanded a knock down in the price.

What other differences does the New Version have?

Oh, And where is the thrust line supposed to be (not that it will make a difference now as I have already cut the cowel to fit the engine where it is).

Cheers,

Hugh

Here are some photos.

The underside.  I cut two cavities and reinforced the skin with a couple of strips of Spruce behind.  I then dug away at the styrene core to create a tunnel for the servo cables.

The upper side, showing the servo cables.  Notide the left over stubs of the torque rods near the trailing edge where I have cut them off.

Cheers,

Hugh

Well,   seeing as you are down under,     it could have been lying on the shelf for a while,   Mod-Tech have not produced a foam wing version of that model for years,      and i MEAN years,     the new one is built up wings, and i think, bigger,        BUT, safe assured, it will fly well--they all do, hence why we keep getting asked for it!!  your mod looks ok,  bit long on the push rods, but it will be good

thought there was a  vid on our site of the DG flying, but sorry, all there is there are the instructions, but these will show you how the model has changed,     wish i could find a shot of the  top of the wing,  the scheme is really nice

Edited By ALAN C - YT Int'l on 22/01/2010 23:48:39

Edited By ALAN C - YT Int'l on 22/01/2010 23:55:01

• 3 months later...
Well, I was in the local Hobby shop today, and I happened to see the up-sized version on the shelf.  It will be on my must have list.

In preperation, I impulse purchased an OS 55AX to hang off the front when I eventually do buy it.

Don't tell the wife.

Cheers,

Hugh