Where do you build your models ?

Advert

Parents don't like all the pin-holes do they in their table tops ?
My table/ work surface is made of those two inch wide pieces of pine ,about eleven,bonded together to form a perfect surface two feet wide .I have one a metre long (in 'er indoors's living room ) & another in'er indoors's conservatory two metres.50 cm. long for wing joining etc .They were made by me in France when I lived there.They've not succombed to temperature/humidity change (like me) & are one hundred percent flat,after two or more years .Don't cry-but all I own is the two tables,a big box of spare balsa,an Eldiss camper van & 8 models,plus something reminiscent of Timbo's garden (somewhere in Wales I think) (IN MY VAN)!

• 3 weeks later...
I use the thick board rescued from under the keyboard of an upright piano which my kids wrecked by walking up and down on the hammers after lifting the lid.

This board is quite thick, very flat and mounted on the legs of an old iromning board. It islong and wide enough for most of my building and takes pins very well.

All my stuff is packed away as we're moving soon but I did have a 10' x 12' shed and 2 large workbenches made from 8"x2" wood. Flipping heavy but very stable and flat.
New place I get all of the garage. Hmmmm nice :o) Can't wait

I quite like the idea of using magnets but with the amount needed it would work out quite expensive.
Off to B&Q/homebase for a peruse. I've heard that the internal doors with metal braces underneath is a good alternative. Flat and relatively light.