electric foamie Hydro plane

Evening all. I (impulsively) bought a foam hydroplane at the club auction. Dont know the make but Its all installed with outrunner, ESC, lipo, servos, and Rx. so for £10 i dont feel hard done by but before i commit it to a sortie does anyone have any experience of this type of model.  What movement do the surfaces require and does it need a dose of expo ( how twitchy is it likely to be ?)
any help gratefully accepted 
Richard

Advert

They never really "took off" quite as the hype had hoped did they - a typical 5 minute wonder which proved that a few die-hard determined peeps who did manage to get them to fly well and then posted the video on U tube was the best marketing tool in the world.
Variations included large articualted lorry tractor units and so on.
I never fell for the things myself, but did see one fairly experienced flyer struggle with his until eventually consigning it to the bin. From what I saw, it was underpowered, so my best advice  would be to ensure you havesufficient grunt, a spot-on COG, and loads of expo.
Funny also how they started off so expensive ( for what it was ) and ended up being literally given away - suppose that says it all really.
Do keep us posted though, 'cos I am genuinely interested in your progress and will gladly help with info if I can.

thanks for the replies lads, i'll have a go with some rates and a dose of expo and let you know. One thing i could do with help with.....the Rx is a bleedin' tiny little GWS unit. It says its a GWR4N Naro narrow band. It has a micro crystal and i need to get a Tx crystal to match. How can i tell if its single or dual conversion Rx ? crystal only has frequency on the side, no labels etc.   Cheers Rich

Hi Richard

Does it sort of look like this?

I was given this as a present. Its called the storm Launcher (I think it came from Firebox)
I class it as a bit of a toy really. I agree with the comments above - especially Timbo's comments. It came with its own TX  2 settings beginner and expert. I have never launched it on or flown it over water. I have flown it in the back field a few times. If you add lots of elevator it will harrier or hang vertical.  It is a bit of a handfull till you get used to it.  However it will roll etc. I would say with the supplied TX it is very basic on the sticks and you have to be carefull not to over control.

I would say as you have a proper TX you can add in the expo and yours should not be as twitchy!  Good fun though.  I have launched this off the grass and hand launched.  Should be interesting how you get on with yours.  So far mine has survived a few over enthusiastic manuveres and is still in one piece!

Good luck

Al

Well, it flies....briefly .....    goes like the clappers across grass but wont lift off on itsown. it took a big heave of elevator but was really twitchy and now needs the rudder reattaching !  .   I think instead of the cautious hops i was attempting I need to get it 3 mistake high and try and get a feel for it instead.
If I get it flyable i might try it off water
though as a land/water based model does using 35htz break the law while im hooning about on the deck  ???