Advert

• 5 months later...

It always was a general show, just one with models , i wouldnt call it any more of a car boot sale or market than any of the other outdoor model shows!, i always thought it was a bit better due to the other non modeling things at the show,

As a model show, it was far better before they listened to traders and moved to the great long flightline that wanders off into the distance, and before they got rid of the marquee of traders , the square layout of trade stands was better, better for trade and better for the show 

if the trade marquee was still there other people who do not have a `market stall` would attend the show meaning more stalls with more choice for modelers

I havent heard its actualy canceled yet, last thing i heard was show on but camping for trade but not for visitors, but there are other campsites local to it and probably better facilitys on a real campsite

The website doesnt say its cancelled either, dates are there for the year after as well

The WOODVALE RALLY has not been cancelled !

The Forum site RCMF has had a thread on this subject. Basically It has become too expensive meeting all the costs to do the Camping and Caravaning.

Yes there are Campsites around there, however a weekend using them and paying for Woodvale becomes much more expensive, as well as more hassle. I doubt that the availlable campsites could accomodate anything like the number of outfits which attended Woodvale.

I also know that many who made a weekend of will not be there, including myself and my extended family. I am sad about this, yet I wish the event well as it has been a great event and fundraiser.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm tempted to say RIP Woodvale.

Due to unspecified "security issues" the organisers, in their infinite wisom have decided that only competitors shall be allowed to camp there this year. From my aeromodelling perspective well North of the Border, this is a severe blow. It took at least 6 hours driving time to get there, which is about the same as getting to the SAA Scottish Nationals or Airshow in Stranraer. It was the most easily accessible of the big shows to the majority of Scottish modellers and many made a weekend of it. Camping on-site was all part of the fun (toilets excepted). Now, unless you are able to compete, you will have to camp elsewhere, with the added expense, additional journeys every day and inevitable queues to get in and out.

Have the organisers taken into account the huge lost revenue from non-competing campers?

Having gone since 1987, I think 2007 will have been my last. Under the new regime I will not be returning. I suspect I am not alone.

The info I got, stated that the Display Flightline will be an all day activity with more input from the Trader Teams. The Aerobatic and Scale competitions seem to have been dropped, though I don't have info on the evening free flight stuff. Enjoy yourselves, it should still be interesting this year at least.

• 4 weeks later...
The Liverpool Model club will no longer be running the aeromodelling side of this event, I believe the flightline is to be run by Andy Johnson, IMAC UK have found an alternative venue for their 2 day scale aerobatics comp, not sure whats happening about the scale freeflight and radio comps. There is deffinately no camping on site other than for traders. Time will tell how successful this will be, obviously it's a big event even without the aeromodelling side so it's a case of watch this space. Speaking personally I think tthe modelling side of the show has been on the wane for a while now, this may be kill or cure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...