Power box for servos

Maurice Harvey

Is there on the market a simple type power box that will allow me to do the following?
I would like to isolate my Spektrum rx from the servos, apart from the signal wire, so that I can power the servos and rx from separate batteries., for example the rx can have a 2s lipo direct and the servos can be powered from the lipo via a ubec to suit the voltage required by them. This arrangement will also do away with the power leads having to go into the rx. I pre thank any person who may be able to help me.

Advert

• 10 months later...
I guess you are planning to use the high voltage servos? dont know there spec. Dont know of a commercial box for this.
To do this you would have to run a negative  and signal lead from rx  and then connect the ubec with the servo positives, question is,  the rx is supplying a +5 signal to the servo but the servo +rail will be higher this could cause problems. You need to investigate the spec of the servos .
With so many ifs, buts and maybes,  probably best not to

• 3 months later...

Eric,

I’m afraid I might appear to be nit-picking again, but it’s entirely unintentional, I assure you.

I think that any contention might in fact be the neg and pos buses in the rx that carry the pins for the servo connections. When the digital servos first appeared there was an situation with the helicopter flyers and there were stories that the receiver Printed Circuit Board (PCB) tracks were failing due to the extra current being used by the constantly moving servos. Whether this was the case or not I don’t know, but I remember I picked it up when I noticed a heli had two rx switches. One way to try and and get round this was to feed the battery supply to both ends of the rx servo connection points. A sort of mini ring-main effect.

I’m sure that it’s most unlikely to ever be an issue concerning standard fixed wing models, I’m convinced the power demands are lighter than you think. Having said that, some 2.4 receivers do look to be pretty small and fragile. I was always used to beefing the supply up to avoid any trouble but it seems that in some quarters the aeromodelling world is trying to reduce everything to a minimalist size as possible.

The helicopter world is a good place to find out about these possible ‘to the limit’ situations, but my heli colleagues don’t mention anything like this, so it’s unlikely to be an issue at the moment, I guess.

PB