Motors From CD Drives and Pagers

Nobby159

Anyone any info on 'How to'
I have several CD drives and old pagers around the house and at work. I have heard that they contain good little motors. Has any one removed this type of motor, what does it involve, is there any information on the net on how to.
Any info welcome.
Nobby 

Yes CD drives have brushless motors in them but they are usually very specific to the application and normally of rather low power, so it very much depends on what you want to use them for.
This guy has used them but completely rebuilds and rewires them along the way!
The price of brushless motors is now so low it can hardly be worth the bother.

Simon thanks for your reply.
I have read through that site and you are quite right bit fiddly
I suppose it would be OK if you had time on your hands.
Its just that I was in the IT section at work and they have in the region of 200 plus CD drives collected over the years as people have upgraded to rewriter and DVD's, nobody wants the basic player now.
Seemed like a wee gold mine on Friday, but in hind site Fools Gold
Cheers
Nobby

In my opinion things have moved on from the days it was de rigueur to convert CD drives to power models.

The reason I hold this opinion is that  there are so many low cost, pre-made electric powered motors, commercially available, where the performance is pretty much guaranteed.

Erfolg  

Nobby - I don't know about the motors but CD drives contain some tiny powerful magnets around the laser head which are quite useful for securing hatches etc. Also the rods carrying the laser head are precision ground and can be used as replacement motor shafts. Bit of a fag to dismantle the drive but worth salvaging.
Peter

Thanks Peter, that's worth knowing about the magnets and shaft, will also save the screws most are tiny self-tappers and will probably come in useful at some point. 

Eric, you would have to be very determined indeed, and fingers with the dexterity of a mid-wife, my short stubby fingers would never do. 

Anything we can do with the laser, apart from bin it?

Nobby

I think those 200+ drives can be recycled for the gold or to 3rd world countries or summut. I know there are places and charities which do that sort of thing, but off the top of my head I know not whom. 

"People still throw themselves out of fully serviceable aircraft for fun "

Don't knock it until you've tried it, it's a massive buzz.

LHT,
I ain't knocking it, I used to do it as part of my job a few years back (quite a few years back). Even did the required 5 night jumps a year to get an extra 50p a week, now that should be enough to get me certified. I can't think of a bigger buzz.

Nobby

Edited By Nobby159 on 16/02/2010 17:14:17

I spent a lot of time last year with cd rom motors. yes you can make great motors but I found the plastic strip magnets degraded realy fast with heat and buying magnets was too expensive compared with the price of a cheap motor, but it makes you understand the hows and whys of brushless motors , this knowledge I think is very valuble