Advice on building please!! :)

Colin Harris 2

Go find your local club, see what they suggest you start with for your first model. Don't impulse buy as your instructor (you're going to need an instructor ) might turn their nose up at it. If you really want an electric glider, thats fine, they're ok to learn with, but none that i know of have undercarriage so aren't the best suited model to the BMFA a certificate. Most club members will suggest a standard 40 size IC trainer which can be set up very cheaply if you go second hand on the engine and possibly the servos and airframe. I'd go straight away for a new 2.4 ghz set which will be worth the outlay in the long term. Such a trainer will be fine for the A certificate and will then provide solid foundations to move onto something a little more exciting  

Advert

Some very sound advice here Colin, welcome to the hobby.

Are you near the West Midlands Colin? If so, I would be glad to meet up with you.

I would like recommend you spent an hour with someone to show you around their own equipment/planes and have a general chat about the hobby. Do this either 1:1 or visit a club near you on a Sunday (usually the busiest club days).

The BMFA website will have a list of clubs in your area.

Advice I always give to new people to the hobby:
* Don't buy a plane (yet)
* Buy a PC simulator
* Visit clubs, shows, shops, read RCM&E magazine and generally speak to lots of people. Spend time with a buddy where possible and have a go on a buddy lead where possible, using their plane or club trainer.

After all of this advice, and experience, you should have a good idea on what type of power system you want to use (Electric, Nitro (aka IC - internal combustion) and Petrol).
Also by now you should have a good idea on what type of trainer you would like to buy.

Popular trainer configurations are usually high wing planes due to their inherent design stability and slower airspeed requirement.

Popular trainers:
  Multiplex Easystar
  Multiplex Mentor
  E-Flite Apprentice
  Seagull Boomerang
  Seagull Arising Star

Try to avoid small 1m wingspan trainers (Minimag, Art-tech Cessna) as they quickly become a dot on the horizon and a bit suseptable to wind. In general, the larger the plane, the more stable it is and therefore easier to fly (Generally!).

An idea of your total budget would help recommendations too. If you are going to stick with this hobby then I would advise you invest in a good transmitter from the start.
Spektrum DX6i is a good computer radio to start with and shouldn't break the bank.
I got one for my son, second hand for £40.

Try and make it to the RCM&E event in June (Greenacres MAC, Walsall, West Midlands) and speak to the pilots in the pits areas along the fence line. I will be there and always enjoy speaking to people who are interested in getting into the hobby.

In reply to Tony Smith7, All I am trying to say is that CAP 658 ( best practice ) is based on BFMA saftey codes as in the Members Handbook. Alot can be learnt by reading it but there is nothing like first hand tuition, knowledge and local khow-how.

I wouldn't know how to drive a car by reading the owners handbook and using a driving simulator.....see my point