Advice on building please!! :)

Colin Harris 2

Advert

Hi Colin.... and welcome abaord.
I have changed your post so the link works - please check  this here.
As to cost of parts...that depends on many things such as which radio you will want to use etc. The same site will show the price of all the bits needed - and a list of these is included at the end of the Ad.

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 18/02/2010 21:03:09

Colin, I would look for a club in your aera, check out what they are doing, I am sure some one will give you guiding hand
A.A.Barry
p.s actually, if you post your area here, you may get more help 

p.s.s. "WELCOME TO WORLD OF MODELING" and challange

Edited By Barry Wetherell on 19/02/2010 10:21:05

no a powered glider should be fine for learning the basics on and the cost outlay would be minimal, just keep in mind that a powered glider will only teach you so much and should you wish to take up this wonderful hobby of ours you will still require a trainer if you wish to learn to fly powered conventional aircraft

I think I would tend to agree with Barry, sorry Barry I wont let it happen again

here is a link to the BMFA web site that should give you an idea of a club near you, you could tell us where you are that may prompt somebody with some additonal info.

I feel the best way is to go along to a flying session and just hang around chatting to the other flyers and soak it all up. I assure you the flyesr WILL chat, if our members are anything to go by. Remember we all have our opinions about what is the right way to do things so I should just gather as much info as you can and then scour the ads and post on this forum if you have any questions. On the most part I think this is one of the friendliest and down to earth forums going.

Welcome and good luck

Colin, without knowing your circumstances it is difficult to know what to recommend...

Do you intend to fly alone, what size flying field is available, do you intend to find and join a flying club. How much do you want to spend............?
A robust  powered glider such as the Multiplex Easy Glider would get you started, but you need to know that you will be hand-launching it and as well as the radio control gear you will need at least a simple charger for the motor battery.
This would be more stable and slower to react than a conventional trainer (and easier to see at distance).

(I was composing that while the last three replies were posted and I agree with them!)

Edited By Richard Bond on 19/02/2010 10:38:25

Posted by Lee Smalley on 19/02/2010 00:03:37:
thats not a trainer!!

Thanks for all the replies.
 Im actually suprised as this would seem to be a perfect trainer. Its not very fast and its practically indestructible. :s
 I would probably fly alone and simply anywhere I find a random field big enough.

Edited By Colin Harris 2 on 20/02/2010 21:22:53

Thats how I started Colin and its not the best way.If its in door you could launch it and watch the wind fly it away,I know from experience,tired myself out trying to find my first models or they finished 60 feet up a tree.To old to climb that high.Youve taken the first wise step,this forum,Let these experts guide you itll be quicker and cheaper,good luck

I started with the V trainer from flyingwings and a DX6i.  The DX6i and receiver is still in service, as are the batteries and esc from the model but the model sadly isn't.  But before it died (pilot error pure and simple) I had learnt the basics and moved onto a Flyingwings Buzz flyingwing and learnt even more - you will likely be always learning in this hobby.

I am self taught and enjoyed the time I have flow but I will say that it was hard work and full of repairs and tears of frustration.  I don't say that to put you off but as a statement of fact.

If you can get a Flight sim to learn the basic orientation and controls it will stand you in good stead in the field.

This forum, and others, have been invaluable to my learning, as is an understanding wife, partner, lover etc.etc.etc.

Hi Colin,

An electric glider is a good idea if you wish to learn to fly alone. I've just completed one for my first foray into electrickery. I hope it will be slow and forgiving, and yet capable of basic aerobatics
It's around 2m span, the wings and tail are built from Lord Boddos A train kit.
I found the glass fibreglass fuselage at a closing down sale, so it's a sort of bitsa
Hope it flies OK

ernie

hi Colin, i have taught soo many to fly in the past i could never count them, and i have taught on many different types from powered gliders to shoulder winged 40 powered aircraft, every pupil is different, but i would never have taught them on what you linked to, the speed is not always the problem but the sensitivity and the stability of the aircraft, and what you linked to is not really what you want!

What you do want depends on what you want to do and where you want to do it

if you want to try to fly on your own (not recommended but it is possible)

then a multiplex easy star or the flying wings v trainer is a good choice they are quite stable and electric powered so they give you a good chance of getting up in the air and staying there for a while and they do take the knocks!! 

If you want to join a club and learn to fly then a powered trainer like the seagul e pioneer or tutor 40 (or other similar type) would be a good choice they are less stable and a bit faster but with an instructor they  offer more progression in the long run.

If you are serious about taking this hobby up get to a club and have a go most clubs will have a trainer down there that you can have a go of free of charge to see if you like it

Where do you live ? 

I agree with most of the previous info, except...

If you decide to try the electric power glider route ask advice again before you buy. Many gliders are suitable, although here comes the BUT. There are many powered gliders availlable which are very high performance models, quite capable of giving many experienced flyers a bout of near terror.

All the best.

Personally I'd steer clear of electric powered gliders though I know lots have learned to fly on them. Most have only a piece of 3mm ply holding the motor in place at the nose. One slightly dodgy landing and you've stoved in the F1 former.

I'd go for a 5-6 foot (1.5-1.8metre) high wing monoplane with an undercarriage whether electric or I/C powered.  

I would recommend getting some time in on a simulator on your pc if you can. It will give you the orientation idea. ie controlling tthe model when it's flying towards you.

Might save you a lot of repair time. Preferably set it up so you can actually use your rc transmitter to control the pc model. (I use FMS which is FREE.)

I learnt, with a bit of help from a friend, on an epp foam trainer with a 25 glo engine. Stan Yeo Peppi. Very crash forgiving.  Not made anymore, unfortunately, though there is the Prangster, which is a much more crude version.  Apart from being too lively, the model you linked is also very small and would be hard to see when you lose the plot (which I guarantee you will at times) and it's disappearing off into the horizon. I'd say 50 inch span minimum.

Good luck, it's frustrating but loads of fun

Edited By Bob Moore on 25/02/2010 13:02:18

Edited By Bob Moore on 25/02/2010 13:03:01

Edited By Bob Moore on 25/02/2010 13:03:56

In my experience, all gliders, whether they have an electric motor in the nose or not, are much more streamlined and rather less robust than a conventional trainer and while they are capable of flying more slowly than a conventional trainer, in a dive they'll pick up speed more rapidly than a conventional trainer simply because they are more streamlined! How about that for a logically constructed sentance!!

Furthermore, their high aspect ratio wings, (chord to span ratio) are weaker than those of a conventional trainer unless reinforced with kevlar or whatever it is they use thse days.

Example: I was trying to teach my girlfriend how to fly a slope soarer, a two channel Goldberg Sonata, without much success so I handed the transmitter to another club member who is a better flier than me. Unfortunately he was a Mode 1 flier and I'm Mode 2, but he said that he could manage a basic rudder and elevator glider on the "wrong" mode no trouble. He managed it for all of fifteen seconds before he got into a high-speed dive, panicked and ripped the wings off. 

On the other hand, Samantha is pretty good on the Radio Queen on a nice day.

• 2 months later...