Bird Of Time

Susses Model Centre supply this 3M glider as both kit and ARTF;

Yes, I know its dated.  And it needs airbrakes. And it has neither ailerons or flaps.

But it is beautiful, and I know a certain someone who fancies a crack at building an e-powered version for our flat field.  I reckon 400 watts on 3 big cells.

But has anybody built one, and is there anything I should know about?

tim

Edited By Tim Hooper on 24/02/2010 20:38:18

Thanks Pete!

Fascinating reading that!

Some excellent ideas there, ie., capping the spars with CF, and several ways of actuating the airbrakes (spoilers?).

.....and that cream/orange example looks great!

This model is set to be built by my better half, but i want to make it immune to wing-clap and and able to operate from our shortish field.

tim

I built a Bird of Time, by coincidence I also purchased my kit from Sussex Model Centre.

Took me ages to build it. And then; like an impatient idiot, I launched it in unsuitable conditions.

After leaving it for a few years, I started repairing it at the end of last year as I hated seeing it broken. Only need to re-apply covering now, but no time to do that or fly it as I'm up to my eyeballs with work

I made a few modifications to the design:
1. Wing joining method
2. Secure method to stop elevators falling off
3. A few other bits and pieces

PM me if you're interested in pictures.

Forgot to mention, I used to have a copy of this.

There's an article on BoT electric conversion entitled: "ELECTRIFYING BIRD OF TIME - A part finished model converted for self launch capability"

There's also some good pictures of a conversion here.

• 3 months later...
Actually, progress has been remarkable steady since last we met.

Netty has tackled the airframe with her usual aplomb. We've worked out a sensible powertrain (Turnigy 35/48 1100Kv, 14x8 folder + 3S 4500 cell pack), added the workings for airbrakes, and it seems very good.

She's now reached the covering phase, and is enjoying her first foray into the wonderful world of Oracover!

tim

Hi Simon!

This is the full-fat all-balsa version - no glassfibre in sight!

There's no end of BoT conversion threads in the Electric Sailplanes forum at RC Groups, although most seem to centre around the gf-fuselage'd version.

We're going to stuff 400-500 watts up it via a Turnigy 35-48 900Kv outrunner, 14x8 folder and 3S 4500 pack.

tim

Is the large pack for balance or so you can fly it all day ??. Didn't realise the kit was a balsa fuz, should make blending in the spinner a bit easier. Have looked at a few of the conversions which just looked plain ugly, couldn't live with that.

Might have to order one. Whens the test flight ??

Simon.,

We have packs ranging from 2500 to 4500 so hopefully we'll be able to select the pack to suit the required CG!

Gawd knows when the maiden will be;  I'm comng to the covering phase of another project, so I've hogged the building board for the last couple of nights so I can get it somewhere near done for this weekends RCM+E fly-in.

tim

Been looking on the Giant Cod site, and they list a similar motor, so I assume it all fits in the nose okay?. Have you run that motor/prop set up before and have an idea of amp draw etc?

Can't make it to the fly in as I am at a wedding. Bit dissapointed, but I hope the weather holds.

Might be ordering at the weekend.

Cheers

Simon

• 3 weeks later...
So today was the day!

With the BoT completed I grabbed a few pics.

There ain't a lot of room in there!  The front bay is filled by the motor and pack.  Next comes the 60A ESC and receiver, followed by the servos.

AUW is 67oz.

Netty had some rather slick graphics made to her specs by a local company.

And here's the builder herself....

Muggins here volunteered to undertake the maiden flight, so opted to launch the model over the rape crop that currently surrounds our strip.

So full throttle, and a good shove sees her away and climbing.

Then Netty and I swopped camera for Tx.

Conclusions?  Well, the day was far too windy to allow much in-depth analysis.  However, the model just wants to fly!  The all-flying elevator is very powerful (particularly under power), and needs to be tamed a little.  The rudder is as you'd expect - a bit soggy at low speeds, tightening up as airspeed increases.

The big surprise though is the effect of those little airbrakes.  Full application induces a pronounced pitch down, which needs a thumbful of 'up' to counteract.  I may reduce their throw a little in the future.

All in all, the model is going to be a delight to fly.  More to the point, Netty (having spent several months on the project) declares herself delighted with the finished model.  And that's really all that matters!

tim