Bird Of Time

Well done Netty.
When a model you have spent many hours building flys well its a great feeling even if you get someone else to do the first, trimming, flight.
I enjoy building but generaly get our clubs best flyer to do the first flight and the satisfaction of seeing a sucessful flight is great.

• 12 years later...

Hi there Tim!
I'm building a Dynaflight BoT from a kit that has sat untouched for over ten years, and I have loved getting back into building with balsa. I faithfully followed the plans and I am struggling to have faith in the wing joiner and the banded on wings. How have you got on with yours?
Specifically, I'm looking for answers to...
1) What size wing bands do I need?
2) Did you add a fibreglass band around the wing root area?
3) I'm thinking of adding a couple of locating pins to the wing roots - did you?
I plan to fly mine off slopes on balmy summer days 😎
BW Matthew

On 26/02/2023 at 21:47, Matthew Lloyd said:

Hi there Tim!
I'm building a Dynaflight BoT from a kit that has sat untouched for over ten years, and I have loved getting back into building with balsa. I faithfully followed the plans and I am struggling to have faith in the wing joiner and the banded on wings. How have you got on with yours?
Specifically, I'm looking for answers to...
1) What size wing bands do I need?
2) Did you add a fibreglass band around the wing root area?
3) I'm thinking of adding a couple of locating pins to the wing roots - did you?
I plan to fly mine off slopes on balmy summer days 😎
BW Matthew

I built the kit version and flew it for years. A beautiful glider that loves to fly.

I built as per plan. If you're only sloping it then the joiner and bands will be fine. I bungeed mine and it held ok. The only time it was a problem was when my mate flew it and he insisted on trying to get maximum height on launch and it would increase the dihedral somewhat. Banned him after that!!

The wing is very strong for balsa.

The one thing I would strongly recommend is to fit a set of airbrakes because it loves to fly and you may struggle to land it on a slope.

G

• Like 1

Blimey, here's a blast from the past....

We still have the BoT, although it's not flown in several years now.

I did make a few mods though;

I lengthened the nose by 50mm, to allow me to fit a smaller 3S 2700 li-po, but still maintain the CG position.  This saved several ounces from the AUW.

I replaced the fore and aft wing dowels, with conventional ones that passed through the fuselage sides.

It tended to hunt in pitch, which I put down to excessive play in the elevator snake, so I replaced it with a conventional pushrod which quietened things down a bit.

Tim

• Like 1

Thank you for your input guys. I have changed the wing fixing to wing bolts, and swapped the joiner from steel to carbon. I have also fitted spoilers! Soon I'll be covering it. Very much looking forward to flying it.

I found this excellent article written by the BoT designer, reviewing the Dynaflight kit - very helpful - if tricky to read!

ThornburgBOT0001.jpg

ThornburgBOT0002.jpg

ThornburgBOT0003.jpg

ThornburgBOT0004.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Matthew,

From memory, I recall that the all-flying tailplane is pretty powerful, so I'd suggest no more than 10mm movement (total) at the trailing edge, with a dollop of expo dialled in to soften the central response.

In contrast, the rudder needs a fair amount of throw on this slow-flying glider, so as much as you can devise (again with expo to suit your taste).

Tim

• Like 1

On 19/04/2023 at 21:48, Tim Hooper said:

Hi Matthew,

From memory, I recall that the all-flying tailplane is pretty powerful, so I'd suggest no more than 10mm movement (total) at the trailing edge, with a dollop of expo dialled in to soften the central response.

In contrast, the rudder needs a fair amount of throw on this slow-flying glider, so as much as you can devise (again with expo to suit your taste).

Tim

Thank you Tim